Halcyon Alien Space Jockey TheB version

Silicone rubber done with positional plugs in place. Didn't think I had enough Silicone to do but managed it with still a little to spare thanks to Thixotropic additive so I could brush on. Mother mold to do so will probably be by the end of the week I can de-mold. Wanted to do the mother mold as a one piece as two pieces would be a ball ache so had to remove any and all potential undercuts. I let you know if this was a silly idea soon.

in between, I'm working the turntable cut files in illustrator

Yq71V6f.jpg

P.s. Partner has just asked where the mouse mat has gone... Haven't told her yet that we need a new one as I used it for running strips of the rubber along the edges of the mold!!!

Edited by Theb
addition
  • Like 4

On 11/6/2022 at 11:53 PM, Theb said:

I hate Alien

I'm guessing that your fully-extendable-stainless-steel-teeth-capped-tongue is firmly in your cheek, here?

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Removing repeated messages.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

In space, no one can hear you scream. But down here we have an echo!

I was actually thinking of doing a parody version of the Space Jockey scene with a Henry vacuum cleaner as the head of the engineer and the tagline 'In Space, No One Can Hear You Clean'. but the more I think about it the worse the idea gets!

But could you see it!

89rnegW.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yay!

I've got a mold! and it seems to be holding its form.

Need to do some minor clean up to remove some bits that can potentially snag.

ST5dTab.jpg

It's really big!

And fortunately. The Master is undamaged. The one piece mother came off with a bit of a fight but will be easier once casting starts.

I need to cast a small area of this first so as to create the 'strap over' piece that will be cast as a separate item

Edited by Theb
addition
  • Like 7

Pretty good day today.

New broadband installed and is much better than what we had before.

This bad boy turned up

P2yKvwr.jpg

And this popped out of the mold too!

EnTO8Y9.jpgChDZwDm.jpg

stQgvYN.jpgbgVgQSl.jpg

Apprehension has been eased...somewhat as the turn table is getting very complex in the construction of the cut file in illustrator but I will persevere and hopefully not concede defeat. Who the hell designs a thing that complex anyway!

Just occurred to me too that I've never used an airbrush and that I need to start learning quickly. I bought a Paasche in 1990 from a New York art shop because it was pretty looking and never used it and last year when I though the time was right it turned out that the airbrush had suffered corrosion and was unusable so I bought a couple of others and a compressor and to this day they still remain untouched but for a little testing I did. Personally, I like to brush as I can control my flow better than the flow of an air brush. will see what happens.

Will hopefully have another one of these pylons molded for Saturday so that I can place everything I have so far into position to properly gauge the turntable position and size... Still need to do the strap over piece for the pylons, the astronauts and the turntable extension part that is at the front of the scene and cast more eggs for the sides of this beast... Oh!, and the turntable!

See you in a bit.

Brian.

Edited by Theb
addition
  • Like 5

The cricut machine will only cut around .5mm styrene without too many issues so I'm having to cut multiple layers and will then stick em all together... I hope!

Still working the cut files for the turntable as I can only stare at the thing for a few minutes before brain starts going fuzzy.

Cut file in its entirety with extra areas that are excluded depending on the layer to be cut.

The 'organic' struts will be added to the model before molding.

2HdifxT.jpg

Here's a rough layout of the elements I have so far to ensure that I'm on the right course.

Thankfully, the symmetry on the Pylons look ok.

uXFoDWs.jpg

pei4iMF.jpg

Please also note that no child sized Henry vacuum cleaners were used in this production!

Edited by Theb
  • Like 7

37 years working in print and for the last 2 years working as a groceries online delivery driver for a major supermarket and it seems that everything I learned during my time in print has gone right out of the window. Cut files setting up was an absolute ball ache but I had the odd lucid moments of recollection. I miss the days of having to figure stuff out, now days I just have to do what most other road users do and check my brain at the front door before leaving for the road!

First opportunity I've had to use my Tamiya Extra Thin quick setting cement and I've gotta say... God sent! stuff is pure brilliance.

Made a mistake (or many but haven't noticed the others as yet) so I'm having to intercut a couple of sections per layer but the glue is making seams almost disappear.

Onwards and forwards.

0rkTfDb.jpgaHg4vwT.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

This is looking really nice. :yes:  You do realise there's a market of at least one for a cast of the turntable don't you? :D

Hi Mike.

Is that order just for the turntable or the turntable and the floor extension? 😜

• Like 1

After much 'observing' of the limited number of images there are for this movie (I know that there are enough to satisfy the many but I'm part of the few that would've documented everything within this movie upto and including HR's toilet trips!) I've come to the conclusion that the movable part of the Jockey and in order to get different angles for shooting because they only built the one part of the set, is the gear part under the jockey and that only the jockey was able to rotate and not the turntable so I'm going to set up a spindle type thingy with this in mind so that my jockey can be rotated to any desired position.

Correct if wrong please!

That's the plan.

O.k. I'm in.

Brian.

• Like 2

extension part I'm referring to can be seen in these shots

sb5Ixo4.png

Bottom right of the above shows part of it with a part that was used on the back wall.

HoLneQp.png

Slightly better view in the above

And for those of you with black and white monitors... It's the area in the below image, marked in yellow!

tHNzrG4.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theb said:

Is that order just for the turntable or the turntable and the floor extension? 😜

Turntable, as mine is not only too small, but the previous owner must have stored it somewhere warm, and it's a leetle-bit warped. :( Also, I live in a small house... no space for those awesome alien hockey sticks :shocked:

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Turntable, as mine is not only too small, but the previous owner must have stored it somewhere warm, and it's a leetle-bit warped. :( Also, I live in a small house... no space for those awesome alien hockey sticks :shocked:

You could try what I tried with a hairdryer... Gentle heat and pushing back into shape.

Interesting idea on the Hockey sticks... I was thinking book ends but now thinking I'll approach Sports Direct to see if its marketable. They may be non regulation!

• Haha 1

Flipping Eck!

I've got a little more patience in my elder years but I'm not German.

Thought this was the best way of cutting intersects.

aB6wQo3.jpg

lsFgijp.jpg

I'm beginning to think that I might just stick some nasals on it and palm it off as Enterprise NCC Zzzzzzzzz

• Like 3