Halcyon Alien Space Jockey TheB version

Hi all.

I didn't want to mess up Lee's thread anymore with me trying to get images to display correctly so I thought I'd start a new one and see if I can get everything working. Seems so far that only facebook does it but I don't want to post there so please bare with me. I've currently uploaded to imgur as suggested so I'll give it a go.

There may be edits!

https://imgur.com/3MXQJzJ

I think it's working.

Having a lot of fun! with this project which is pain staking and becoming an obsession.

I'll sort the images a little better and post later.

Cheers.

Brian.

Cheers Chris.

Yes it is big and the complication has been added to by the fact that the base on the original Halcyon model is about a third smaller than it should be so will need to re-doo. Still brainstorming and studying that part but I'm guessing that the Cricut machine is going to get an awful workout.

The model has come a lot further along but the pics for these are on an older phone so I have to get them off there first. Lest to say that there were many changes along the way and some creative differences in appearance.

I'll post as soon as.

Cheers.

Brian.

• Like 2

Looks like you’re making some impressive progress. I don’t know the background of the thread, and my interest was further piqued when you said that the Halcyon Space Jockey base was too small. I have that kit, and my base is a bit warped. If it needed redoing anyway, it might save me one job ;)

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Looks like you’re making some impressive progress. I don’t know the background of the thread, and my interest was further piqued when you said that the Halcyon Space Jockey base was too small. I have that kit, and my base is a bit warped. If it needed redoing anyway, it might save me one job ;)

Hi Mike.

No problem on the turntable…if I can pull it off,,,I’m fairly confident but never too sure but then again, Strangers Things have happened and I’m waiting for season 5. Was a bit of a bummer when I spotted it,,, late! but what the hey! Good news is that it’s symmetrical so will hopefully only need to work one half and cast the other.

The biggest problem with this entire set was that immediately after production on the shooting of it was concluded, it was torn down and tossed into a skip (many skips!)… as a young Indy once stated “It belongs in a museum”. Oh for the want of a time machine for at least the opportunity to go back and document everything around it

Brian.

• Thanks 1

The other thing I had to do to save some money was to take molds from the Jockey itself as to buy one was pushing around the £200 mark. I was missing the 2 front support struts on mine so had to recreate from the existing and mess around with them a little bit

1hUcxtd.jpgg0sYTG9.jpgHiUGaAd.jpg

• Like 6

The end pylon.

symmetry is a bugger! which is why I was dreading this part. The borrowing of a mirror from a neighbour went some ways to assist as did taking pics of the opposite side but this still caused/is causing a lot of angst!

74PdDTy.jpgSna1Ia2.jpgAXEQ8vX.jpg5gmlu79.jpgaySlL1E.jpgz2G6v2M.jpgntcXwI4.jpgte2gpZY.jpgQtowhix.jpghxhcUnk.jpgHn2Hc5w.jpg4wuZPoh.jpgUMNKUNI.jpg24xIzEZ.jpgUnF0VcF.jpg

Which brings me up to where I am pretty much at, at the moment. Tons of sanding and cleaning up and hopefully ready to mold in a week or so.

xuOmu9I.jpg

It's very big!

Edited by Theb
Typo
  • Like 12

Hopefully in a couple of weeks or so Pete. Work,Kids, ebay and Partner permitting. I've managed to get away with spending a stupendous amount of time on this already but I can feel the earth crumbling under my feet every time my partner comes into the room with a look on her face that looks like a look of disgust covered in makeup. I keep telling her that it's number 1 on my bucket list and that I could pop at any time now so I must crack on. I lie of course as number 1 on my bucket list is to crack my Rubiks Cube!

Brian.

• Like 3

Slowly figuring out the way this forum works. Just noticed the notification part and the likes.

big thankyou for all the likes.

also noticed the one from Hunter Rose and guessing a Grendel fan. Top man…Person!

Okay so I got a little side tracked today and spent too much time on the turntable situation but I think I now have the size I want to take it to.

This pic is probably one of if not the best shot for determining the size.

NtAljms.jpg

you can see the vast difference in distance from the 'smiley face' end of the jockey to the area marked in red and then compare the same area on the Halcyon

ojUGwV0.jpg

the size of the turntable seems to be the same distance as the end of the bottom side of the 'Telescope'

2N8LkZq.jpg

I'm going to go with this size for now but won't start the very long process until the pylons are cast so I can see the lay of the land first.

Ok75gAi.jpg

Cheers.

Brian.

• Like 10

As I'm sure many folks will know, in the wide-shots of the Space Jockey set, Ridley Scott had children in the environment-suits, to make the set look that much bigger. 

I've always thought it a bit of a con that, in the first Alien, the Space Jockey must have been around 15 feet tall, but in the expensive, poorly-written garbage that was Prometheus, the "Engineers" are around 8 feet tall. Maybe their species was just that much bigger in those days? 

Also, the idea that the Engineers were the forefathers of Earth's human-race never seemed that logical to me, but we'll let that one slide.   

Anyway, all the best for your build. 

Chris.

PS: The laser that created the blue, smoky effect in the Egg Chamber? Apparently, that was borrowed from the band The Who, who were rehearsing for a tour at Shepperton Studios at the time Alien was in production.     

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 5

Hi Chris.

Ridley Scott is infamously terrible for his continuity, especially in the same movie let alone across a series.

My intention, for 2 reasons, is that my astronauts will be the full adult height.

Reason 1. For the same argument about the engineers in Prometheus being around the 8-10 feet whereas the original movie version appears to be around the 15-20 feet area. I wanted to bridge the divide between the movies. I also wanted to over exaggerate some parts but I may change that idea if the wind blows in the opposite direction. I've always adored the Moebius vision on these and the detailing alone is sublime and just another small part of genius in the whole beautiful thing that this movie is.

Reason 2. The child version is only 30mm tall and bloody small and even a 40mm will be a challenge as I want to go all Japanese on these and try as detailed as possible version of all 3 astronauts. I'm having trouble finding a clear cast resin that is very very fast setting so as to slush cast so that I can have a helmet that pops on over the astronaut. The idea for the face's on these guys that I've tried and didn't look too bad was to take the images of the original cast and then print them very tiny and apply them to the model. A bit of photoshop involved to distort so as to compensate for the curvature of the base model but what I did without the distortion was scary to look at and is def the way I want to go with it.

Brian.

I love the tidbits surrounding this movie. The Who!

The best I ever saw was Percy Edwards on Blue Peter explaining his involvement in the movie by providing the sound to the Chest Burster. How do you explain the build up to that scene on a prime time kids programme without scarring for life?

Edited by Theb
addition
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I didn't know, until Theb mentioned it, that Percy was involved in Alien. For fans of the movie who mightn't know, "Percy Edwards MBE (1 June 1908 – 7 June 1996) was an English animal impersonator, entertainer and ornithologist", according to Wikipedia. The movie trivia file surrounding this model keeps growing! I remember Percy on 1970s UK TV imitating the sounds made by animals and barnyard fowl. Today's reality TV is no match for that level of exciting televisual spectacle, which was well worth the licence fee paid to own a TV set. (I wonder did he influence some schoolkids to tell their career guidance teachers that they want to become an"animal impersonator"? I know I considered that profession briefly ... but the lure of "international spy" was too strong.)

• Haha 2