1/48 Airfix Meteor F.8

It's been a while since I joined in with a GB and I'm ready to plunge into the fray again!

My choice of kit is the excellent Airfix 1/48 Meteor F.8:

box.jpg

My original intention was to build the model in the scheme shown on the box (with the yellow tail). However, when Airfix recently released their 1/72 version of this model, I decided that the scheme depicted on WF714 is far more attractive:

500.jpg

I've had some practice designing decals for my BA builds, so hopefully I can use that experience to replicate this design in 1/48 scale.

I need to clear the workbench a bit before starting, but hopefully this one will be underway soon!

• Like 8

On 24/10/2022 at 10:46, 81-er said:

If you can find it in stock, this sheet from FCM has the decals you need https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FCM48054?result-token=RIr0n

I have the FCM decal sheet but it lacks the round County of Kent badge on the right side of the nose.

I have just sent an email to Jon, hopefully he still has a set 3 decal sheet available.  If I can get the decals I like I can still join this GB with an Airfix 1/48th Meteor F.8

• Like 1

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions regarding the decals.

Unfortunately Jon’s set does not include the crest on the side of the fuselage, so I have ordered the 1/72 sheet from Airfix which comes with their latest tooling. I will scan this and scale it up by 50%, then print it onto decal paper. Hopefully this should work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Unfortunately Jon’s set does not include the crest on the side of the fuselage,

That's a shame, I notice from looking at the Airfix 1/72nd Meteor at the top of your thread and from the instructions on Jon's decal sheet #3 they show this airframe WF714 with the earlier single tab ailerons but I have a photo of this aircraft pulling up into a loop with 2 other Sqn aircraft behind it and it has the later smaller twin tab ailerons.  The other 2 Sqn aircraft have the earlier single tab ailerons, all 3 aircraft have the early metal rear canopies, from the angle the photo has been taken it's impossible to say for certain what type of intakes are fitted.

On 26/10/2022 at 17:01, Retired Bob said:

That's a shame, I notice from looking at the Airfix 1/72nd Meteor at the top of your thread and from the instructions on Jon's decal sheet #3 they show this airframe WF714 with the earlier single tab ailerons but I have a photo of this aircraft pulling up into a loop with 2 other Sqn aircraft behind it and it has the later smaller twin tab ailerons.  The other 2 Sqn aircraft have the earlier single tab ailerons, all 3 aircraft have the early metal rear canopies, from the angle the photo has been taken it's impossible to say for certain what type of intakes are fitted.

Thanks Bob, that's all useful info👍. I'm doing some research myself on this airframe and waiting for permission to share some of the photos I've found online. I'm reasonably sure the intakes are the narrow bore versions though; I haven't seen any images yet showing the ailerons clearly - I will do some more digging!

I also thought it was about time I started work on this kit - I've been ignoring it for too long and I'm keen to get this one underway.

My first job was to remove a few of the components. Here are the pieces for the cockpit tub, including the cannon mountings which glue onto the sides of the tub:

tub.jpg

The seat is formed from five pieces - two sides, a back, a front and a top:

seat.jpg

I partially built the cockpit, leaving the floor off for now to make the painting process easier. There is some very nice detail moulded into the kit. The seat was also assembled ready for painting - this too will be glued in at a later stage:

t1.jpg

The lower wing has two spars, similar to many other new tool Airfix releases. There are also a plethora of different indentations to be potentially drilled, depending upon the build - on this kit it will just be a ventral tank and drop tanks, but it looks like rockets could also be an option:

spar.jpg

The undercarriage bays are built up too, here are the sides and floors:

bays.jpg

The main spar was cemented into position and clamped to avoid any gaps:

s1.jpg

Wheel bays are next, followed by some paint!

• Like 4

On 31/10/2022 at 16:01, 81-er said:

I think the Korean War boxing of this kit comes with the rocket option, hence the locations being marked

Thanks James, you're correct - the Korean version has much more hanging off the underside of the wings!

The postman delivered some 1/72 decals today:

decs.jpg

I will get busy with Photoshop later to make something suitable for my 1/48 model.

• Like 3

Having looked more closely at the 1/72 decals, I’m now tempted to replicate this aircraft instead:

100-8308.jpg

Photo courtesy of @theplasticsurgeon and taken from the BM Meteor GB reference thread. The main advantage is that most of these decals are already supplied in the box as the other scheme option for this kit. The only bit that will need some work is the tail fin and tailplane, as the stripes are not included…

It’s an equally eye-catching scheme and as my only other 1/48 RAF NMF jet also has a blue tail, I’m thinking I should vary things slightly!

Here’s the other model:

rfi4.jpg

Plenty of time still to make up my mind! I just need a weather improvement now so I can do some airbrushing…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Another image from @theplasticsurgeon's reference thread:

100-8304.jpg

The squadron markings on the side of the fuselage are different from the ones in the box, even thought the registration is the same:

364.jpg

Checks instead of triangles...:hmmm: 

More research required!

Checks are 85 Squadron,  Triangles are 501.  Different times in her career.  BUT the subject of my first VacForm model

Rareplane-Meteor-F8.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Checks are 85 Squadron,  Triangles are 501.  Different times in her career.  BUT the subject of my first VacForm model

Rareplane-Meteor-F8.jpg

Is that an Aeroclub Meteor. Cos if it is yours turned out better than mine did!

Matt, sorry for the thread hijack. 

James

On 03/11/2022 at 18:47, theplasticsurgeon said:

Handing the thread back to Matt.

No problem at all, I enjoy a bit of creep!

@theplasticsurgeon, thanks for the clarification regards the markings.👍

Progress has ground to a halt on this for a while, due to some unexpected DIY requirements… Hopefully the build will resume soon!😁

• Thanks 1

I've managed a bit more work on this during the past two evenings. The wing has had the exhaust and undercarriage bays added and is now ready to be closed up:

w2.jpg

I've made a start on the two Derwent engines, by cutting out the pieces - some of these require an extensive clean up to remove the excess plastic:

ens.jpg

I've also found some pictures on the Airfix website, showing WF714 in service. The following photographs were taken by Russell Adams and his collection is held by the Jet Air Museum, who have given their permission to reproduce the images here. Hopefully they will be of use, showing the crest on the side of the fuselage and the general location of the squadron markings:

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So Im guessing WF714 was the CO’s bird ? Seeing as none of the others seem to have the fancy tail artwork.

That’s correct, it is the aircraft flown by Sqn Ldr Desmond ‘Dizzy’ de Villiers. His family crest is also painted on the right hand side of the fuselage beneath the canopy - more details here: Airfix Meteor Information.

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

The wings do build up nicely, don't they? Thanks for the photos, very nice to see them

It’s been a very pleasant build so far! Glad you enjoyed the photos.👍

• Like 2

On 02/11/2022 at 22:46, Back in the Saddle said:

Having looked more closely at the 1/72 decals, I’m now tempted to replicate this aircraft instead:

100-8308.jpg

Photo courtesy of @theplasticsurgeon and taken from the BM Meteor GB reference thread. The main advantage is that most of these decals are already supplied in the box as the other scheme option for this kit. The only bit that will need some work is the tail fin and tailplane, as the stripes are not included…

It’s an equally eye-catching scheme and as my only other 1/48 RAF NMF jet also has a blue tail, I’m thinking I should vary things slightly!

Here’s the other model:

Those decals are available but take a lot of patience to get right.

m02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the photos. What a great weathering subject. Seems a shame though to dirty up something with such spectacular markings.

Ray

• Thanks 1