1/48 Canadair Sabre Mk.2 converted Airfix. Dad's Sabre!

Canadair Sabre Mk.2, 416 Squadron RCAF, Grostenquin, France 1954.

1/48 Airfix Sabre F-86F-40 backdated to a Mk.2

250_61.jpg

There is a little back story as to why I chose to build this particular model, as it is one flown by my father as a 21 year old, back in the day.

This particular Sabre, 19250, was one he flew many times when on 416 Squadron RCAF based in Grostenquin, France in the early 1950''s before I was even born. It's last appearance in his logbook is on May 7th 1954 when some of the squadron flew up to Manchester Ringway and delivered their Mk.2's to Airwork for refurbishment for the Turkish airforce. (416 were receiving new Mk. 5 Sabres). It nearly all went wrong due to having to hold before landing at Ringway while a bellied in RAF Vampire was dragged away, and he actually ran out of fuel taxying off the runway.  The logbook entry shows it as May 7th, 1954.

log1.jpg

The problem I had was that there is no Sabre Mk.2 available in 1/48 scale, so I never got around to building one. However, the Canadian Group Build motivated me to have a go at a conversion, using the new Airfix F-86F-40. At the same time I discovered a set of decals for this very aircraft available from Above & Below Graphics. So, no reason not to attempt the project in time for the old fella's  90th birthday in a few weeks from now.

There are 2 major areas to deal with in making a Mk.2, The wing is slatted with a smaller chord and span, and the windscreen has a 'V' shaped screen fitted on the front panel. I wont go into the ins & outs of Sabre wings here but there is a build log showing warts & all how I faffed around trying to both understand what needed doing, and how to do it. Anyway, it got finished, so on with some photos.

250_57.jpg

250_56.jpg

250_59.jpg

250_63.jpg

250_58.jpg

250_60.jpg

I've even got a model of his Citroen to go with it;

250_62.jpg

Amazingly there is a photo of 250 on Wikipedia, so I couldn't resist photographing the model in black & white to try and mimic it!

250_55.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Viking said:

Canadair Sabre Mk.2, 416 Squadron RCAF, Grostenquin, France 1954.

1/48 Airfix Sabre F-86F-40 backdated to a Mk.2

250_61.jpg

There is a little back story as to why I chose to build this particular model, as it is one flown by my father as a 21 year old, back in the day.

This particular Sabre, 19250, was one he flew many times when on 416 Squadron RCAF based in Grostenquin, France in the early 1950''s before I was even born. It's last appearance in his logbook is on May 7th 1954 when some of the squadron flew up to Manchester Ringway and delivered their Mk.2's to Airwork for refurbishment for the Turkish airforce. (416 were receiving new Mk. 5 Sabres). It nearly all went wrong due to having to hold before landing at Ringway while a bellied in RAF Vampire was dragged away, and he actually ran out of fuel taxying off the runway.  The logbook entry shows it as May 7th, 1954.

log1.jpg

The problem I had was that there is no Sabre Mk.2 available in 1/48 scale, so I never got around to building one. However, the Canadian Group Build motivated me to have a go at a conversion, using the new Airfix F-86F-40. At the same time I discovered a set of decals for this very aircraft available from Above & Below Graphics. So, no reason not to attempt the project in time for the old fella's  90th birthday in a few weeks from now.

There are 2 major areas to deal with in making a Mk.2, The wing is slatted with a smaller chord and span, and the windscreen has a 'V' shaped screen fitted on the front panel. I wont go into the ins & outs of Sabre wings here but there is a build log showing warts & all how I faffed around trying to both understand what needed doing, and how to do it. Anyway, it got finished, so on with some photos.

250_57.jpg

250_56.jpg

250_59.jpg

250_63.jpg

250_58.jpg

250_60.jpg

I've even got a model of his Citroen to go with it;

250_62.jpg

Amazingly there is a photo of 250 on Wikipedia, so I couldn't resist photographing the model in black & white to try and mimic it!

250_55.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

Sure you didn't just photoshop out the hangar in the last picture?

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brilliant, John -

Very clever conversion work and a subject matter that is very different to what you normally build - great work!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

A model with history, that of course makes it very special for you. I like the F-86 very much and with this background it's really great.

• Like 1

Great job on the Sabre, and what a gift for your father! Thank you for the references, I'll keep them handy should I decide to build a Sabre.

Wlad

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

What exactly  is this V shaped panel though?

It is a V-shaped glass panel on the front windscreen (in fact two glass panels glued together at an angle). It was present on early Sabre variants but abandoned on later variants. 

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice build, I love it.

My dad served at Grostenquin too at the same time as your father, before I was born.

And I later served in 416, I retired a Lynx after 7 years in the squadron (Hornets).

• Like 1