DHC-7 Dash 7 - Welsh Models 1/144

Here's my Welsh Models 1/144 DHC-7, with Canmilair decals. Build thread is here. And I've just noticed in these photos that the undercarriage doors look too much like the strips of plasticard that they are, so they're going to have to be replaced!

1/144 Dash 7

1/144 Dash 7

1/144 Dash 7

1/144 Dash 7

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 32

That's a beauty Julian. The Dash 7 always looked like what it was - a tough, rugged, go-anywhere aircraft with an amazing STOL performance.

I wouldn't have noticed the undercarriage doors if you hadn't pointed them out. One tip I've seen, although I haven't tried it out, is to tape some thin plastic card to an empty Humbrol paint tin then fill the tin with boiling water which should, in theory, leave you with a slightly curved piece of plastic. I don't know if that is any help.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

One tip I've seen, although I haven't tried it out, is to tape some thin plastic card to an empty Humbrol paint tin then fill the tin with boiling water which should, in theory, leave you with a slightly curved piece of plastic. I don't know if that is any help.

Thanks Dave, I might give that a go

Nice, beautiful finish on this bird. Respect for this you 've done on it! I've hesitated on a Welsh model close to 2 decades ago to build as at that time there wasn't any other option for that type. But I didn't feel to being brave enough to get suicide react caused by struggling with that kit. So I've never tried since and furtunately now we have more option to go at most of the airliners.

For that doors I didn't even realised unless you highlighted you may get a try to use metal parts like the photoetched sheets metal accessories. I always use them and that thin enough to be real (as the real ones are more  or less 10-20 mm in total depth, so in our 1:144 scale even less than 0,1mm) and you can easily bend to get any curves in seconds. I 've bought a sheet (around 1 sqfeet) for more or less 2 Euro and takes forever. 

• Thanks 1