Staghound Mk III - Bronco 1/35 - Done and dusted!

So, the construction of the hull is complete apart from the PE mud flaps and the mirrors and arms. I will leave these till much later as I am bound to break them off if not.

VlUjGro.jpg

BAvhJZy.jpg

“Where’s the roof, old boy?”

PDEzvFr.jpg

The Bronco instructions are far from the best. Some parts seem to just appear on the vehicle, like the PE that is fitted on the front of the mud guards with no indication of how to bend or fit them. Fortunately, the box art came to the rescue in this instance.

Since adding the PE to the front of the mudguards, I have realised that they should be longer as per the photo below. I guess I could remove them and use plastic card instead, will maybe sleep on it and see if I still have the urge 🤔

EUOuqKs.jpg   

gXEoLmX.jpg

George

• Like 20

Progressing very nicely George,  I'd have never noticed the discrepancy with the pe on the mudguards, just saying....:whistle:  (Perhaps that says more about me..:winkgrin:)

As Ian says, nice figure too, looks like a young Dick Strawbridge!

Atb

Darryl 

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Great job so far. And I do like that figure!

Thank Ian.

50 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd have never noticed the discrepancy with the pe on the mudguards

Yeah, perhaps i should have kept quiet Darryl 😁. Think i might be leaving them as they are anyway. I will only make a mess of trying to correct them.

I played rugby with Dick Strawbridge in NI, top bloke.

George

• Like 1

Thanks Ed. I am not planning to use him with the Staghound. I have the soldier he came with and an Alpine tank commander i am planning to use.

BLkCkY7.jpg   5Rx8f0E.jpg

George

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a bit of an update.........

On to the turret. The barrel is slide molded and needs very little clean up, so there is no real need to get an AM barrel (Bronco also give you a slide molded U.S. M3 barrel for your spares box). I tried to source an AM Besa MG, but nothing found (in stock) unfortunately. So, I have ended up drilling out the end of the barrel. The top and bottom halves of the turret fit together well with only a tiny amount of filler needed (in my case).  The hatches are currently stuck on with liquid mask, as I am intending having at least one open.

SomHBF3.jpg  

So, this is pretty much ready for the paint shop. Still need to organize some stowage, maybe I should do that next, me thinks.

YiQlRel.jpg

frNaNFi.jpg

Amazing to see just how big the Crusader turret was when fitted on the Staghound, which is quite a big armoured car!

vw1ZHZR.jpg

George

• Like 19

That turret does look very big, especially from above. I didn't realise that the hatches were modified from the old Crusader Mk III layout. Presumably because there was now a full time loader in there and the commander was moved to the left rear?

Anyway, it's coming on nicely. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IanC said:

I didn't realise that the hatches were modified from the old Crusader Mk III layout. Presumably because there was now a full time loader in there and the commander was moved to the left rear?

Thanks Ian, with regard to the hatches, i realised they were different, but was not sure why. What you say makes sense.

George

• Like 1

Tried some of this to clean of my mucky paw prints. Its one of those products where you are not sure if it has done anything. It did seem to make the surface a bit more matt, so potentially a better base for paint.

SH9dMXo.jpg

Also primed the PE with Mr Metal. Does anybody know what you should clean your brushes with after using this?

George

• Like 6

Bit of stowage added to the hull. I will also add a couple of back packs to the turret and then see how it looks. The camo net is Gauze bandage which I picked up awhile ago from somewhere. I appreciate it should have the strips of fabric added to be an Allied net, so i will call this a captured one. I also managed to bend the tarp on the left fender with a bit of heat from a tea light. Quite chuffed as it fits pretty well.

vpwYBk8.jpg

wvxyEnA.jpg

oBdE8tU.jpg

So, I think she is ready for some paint now……………

I am off work for a couple of weeks now, so hopefully will make some good progress, if Santa allows.

George

• Like 12

Great job with the stowage, neat little trick bending that tarp, looks like a good fit. 
  The tamiya tape for straps looks well. Are they photo etch buckles or did you make them?
Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
Added comment
  • Thanks 1

Coming along very nicely George, the stowage will look great.

I've not seen the  model degreaser before,  it would save me having to head to the kitchen to wash the model before painting.

On 17/12/2022 at 09:55, Geo1966 said:

Also primed the PE with Mr Metal. Does anybody know what you should clean your brushes with after using this?

I use the VMS version, which seems to work pretty well, and I wash the brush off with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. 

Wayne

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks very good George with the added stowage, I do like the way that you have done the net, looks great..

Thanks for the kind words Ed.

20 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

The tamiya tape for straps looks well. Are they photo etch buckles or did you make them?

Thanks Paul, yes they are PE from the spares box.

10 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I use the VMS version, which seems to work pretty well, and I wash the brush off with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. 

Thanks Wayne, i didn't realise VMS did a PE primer. I like their products and have a few. Find their varnish spot on. Will give the Thin cement a try (would never have thought of using that).

George

• Like 1

I normally use Tamiya NATO black as a primer/basecoat, but I have nearly run out. No way I am doing anymore shopping this month, so I have gone straight for some Tamiya OD. Will do some highlights with lighter shades of OD when I get a chance. The OD sprayed on well and there was only a couple of small areas that needed a bit of sanding and touch up. Always nice to get some paint on to unify the PE, stowage, etc. Overall, I am quite pleased with how she is looking.

jTxVLBC.jpg

f4DhSZJ.jpg

Also painted up the wheels. Base coated with Tamiya Rubber black then dry brushed with Ammo Mig Rubber & Tires (A.Mig-0033) which is a sort of medium grey colour.

w1JvWEG.jpg   4IqXVbi.jpg

Like a lot of us, I am not sure how much i will get done over the next couple of days, but i will endeavour to sneak off to the bench when i can 🙂

Hope everybody has a good Christmas!

George

• Like 14