Staghound Mk III - Bronco 1/35 - Done and dusted!

My entry to the GB is the Bronco Staghound Mk III. I have always quite liked the Staghound, but I think this is my favorite as it has a Crusader turret (not sure that is correct, but it definitely looks like one).

DdVtn22.jpg

The Staghound armoured car was conceived in the US at the start of WW2, based on a British specification which required a wheeled reconnaissance vehicle with a high level of protection, therefore armour plated, well armed, and highly mobile. The Chevrolet design proposed a large armoured car which, following an extended programme of assessment and testing, went into production in late 1942, too late to be sent to British forces engaged in North Africa. Allied forces were to receive the Staghound in the Spring of 1943 and they were used in the Italian campaign by British and Polish armies In spite of the impressive performance of this vehicle it was not adopted by the US army and so the 3,000 units produced were used solely by British and Commonwealth forces.

7oBmxba.jpg

NXv4deD.jpg

6PlJfSW.jpg

The figure is a resin one from eBay. A British soldier with a Sten gun (will take a better picture later). Will have to have a look in the spares box for a vehicle commander.

I am currently double booked as I am in the Meteor GB also, so progress maybe a bit limited to start with.

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Like 23

17 hours ago, JackG said:

Great choice.   It is indeed a Crusader turret with a 6 pdr gun.

Thanks for the confirmation and the data sheet. 56 mph seems quite impressive for the day.

15 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

The parts look well-ordered, they don't look as cluttered as most Bronco kits.

Thanks Robert, I have only build one Bronco kit before, which was the Humber armoured car. I seem to remember the wheel attachements points were really flimsy, so hoping these will be better.

George

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

These wheeled tanks are interesting vehicles and look really mean

I think it is the big wheels that do it, sort of make them look industrial.

George

• Like 1

This is a useful source for info not only on the Staghound but also various 6 and 8 wheeled cars that the US looked at, including those like the Boarhound that were designed in conjunction with the British Purchasing Commission.

hunn

I gather that the Staghound was quite well thought of but a lot of British users thought it was too big and heavy and preferred the smaller Daimler. I believe that they were impressed by the performance of the German 8 wheelers in the desert and had that in mind when placing the orders, but by the time they arrived the war had moved back to the more restricted surroundings of Italy.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And were off! Always like to get the wheels and tracks cleaned up first on AFV’s as I find it boring. My thinking being that if these are out of the way then I am onto the better bits of the build. Anyway, a breeze on this, only 4 wheels as there isn’t a spare.

The plastic is pretty soft. Much softer than I am used to, so need to be a bit careful when cleaning up parts. There is a bit of flash on some parts, but nothing horrendous. Found a couple of ejector pin marks that need filling, but generally they seem to be well positioned.

Rbi5EG6.jpg

Also made a start on the hull. Surprised at how large it is. This I going to be quite a big old lump when finished. Major Dia Saster, in the background give some idea of the size.

George

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Always liked the Staghound vehicles, I'm neglecting my Meteor build while building my German armoured car, but I'm sure I'll get it done soon.  I'll be watching your build with interest. :popcorn:

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

hope the major approves

He is always happy as long as he is looking on and not on the front line 🙂

26 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm neglecting my Meteor build

Thanks Bob. My Meteor is on the back burner a bit also. I have nearly run out of putty and sanding sticks trying to fill all the gaps on the Special Hobby one i am building. At least we generally don't have that problem with AFV's.

George

• Like 3

Bit of progress during the weekend due to the wet weather here. Made up the axels and suspension, but before fitting gave the underside a coat of NATO black as the recesses are pretty deep.

dD2QTAN.jpg

Spent a bit of time cleaning up the exhaust, then turned the page to discover they have PE covers – Doh! Oh well at least I know they are done.

W3YyaWk.jpg

There are a couple of parts where there are 2 options, the only problem is there is no indication of which to use on any of the different schemes 🤔

The options in this case are the rear "spoiler" parts D18 and K13. I wonder which McLaren F1 would prefer?

xMcbWkE.jpg

George

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly working on this in the back ground as I am still involved in the Meteor GB (those wingy things need a lot of time and patience).

Anyway, we have something resembling a hull. Couple of areas need a bit of filler, but not sure if this is the kit or (more likely) my bad assembly.

Got the PE exhaust covers on ok. There are 2 options for the U shaped protectors, but I read somewhere that these are the correct ones for the later marks including the Mk III.

zHCISUU.jpg

I am going to leave the drivers vision hatch open so leaving that off for now. A nice addition is the clear periscopes which I have used a bit of liquid mask on and there is also a clear windscreen to go in the driver’s port. What makes it even better is it is fitted from the outside so can be left off till after painting.

uFPyERA.jpg

Not sure what I am doing next, better look at the destructions, I guess. 🤔

George

• Like 19

A bit of an update. I have had a lot of visitors (how rude) and loads of rugby to watch on TV, which has hampered my progress a bit. Not all bad, but I do miss the bench.

Pretty much got the main lump finished, or thought I had, but have now discovered I have a few more fiddly bits to do on the suspension.

i4pUP0F.jpg

Z14LyPw.jpg

Strangely Bronco only provide a PE strap for the spade, the rest of the tools have molded straps. Most of the small details are pretty good (in my opinion). For instance, I don’t think there is any real need to replace the engine hatch handles as they are already pretty thin/to scale.

Bit of a note if anybody is considering this kit. The ejector release pin marks are usually out of the way, but sometimes can hamper fitment, so dry fitting (not my forte) is recommended.

wW4313c.jpg

A nice touch that Bronco provide is a piece to form the headlight protectors. I managed to bent them in the process of fitting them, but it is definitely a help. Anyway, a bit of bending and maneuvering and I think they are ok-ish now.

EtcfiLn.jpg

HAt5cDa.jpg

Just noticed i have a gaps under the PE bits below the hatches. Photos can be good at times i guess 🙄

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Like 15

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It looks a really crisp kit with excellent details.

Thanks Stef. The original kit is from 2007, so not that old. It is going together well and has sufficient detail to satisfy my needs.

8 hours ago, Trevor L said:

I often spot things when looking at pics I've taken

Thanks Trevor. Better to spot them now than in the RFI.

George

• Like 2

Coming along treat George,  you really appear to be knocking this Bronco kit into submission!

As has been said, the hull looks suitably busy and detailed to create real interest, I do like the exhaust shrouds too btw.

Great work! :like:

Darryl