1/48 Airfix de Havilland Vampire F.B. Mk.5 - No 75 Sqn Royal New Zealand Air Force

I had a couple of the new Airfix Vampires in my “For Sales pile that weren’t looking like being sold anytime soon and after looking at the plastic over few beers one evening I figured it looked simple enough that I could it smash it together in a couple of weeks.  

Bar the undercarriage, this was an extremely enjoyable build. The kit goes together really quickly and there is minimal clean up required.  For me the detail is adequate for the subject and scale.  I think it took under 15 hours of build time from box opening to it going in the cabinet.  If I build another it will be done wheels up to make the build even simpler (and quicker).

Full details at my blog but here are some photos.

Vampire-FB5-29.jpg

Vampire-FB5-21.jpg

Vampire-FB5-23.jpg

Vampire-FB5-30.jpg

Vampire-FB5-35.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj3QWksPJvUTRTu99uAmBaMHwIY3FHEuelefHJtZUTSunj26bSnEVwlwgCnw7XrcpwcHs-Dp3yYLzw1HU9Puqjzt6uEy_EGGT_EDsZ9aAjKNW7cIErQwiCrWCQBlGgJ73ZHGa_MmNHTSaJy2q1rJfSGeajWzduXCVqxsvRcs4fPycwLb64pHYD5nQEv/s16000/Vampire-FB5-25.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Calum said:

I had a couple of the new Airfix Vampires in my “For Sales pile that weren’t looking like being sold anytime soon

Hi Calum,

Really Nice :thumbsup:

On my do list at point (same airframe), per my Dad's photo of

NZ5776 at Wigram below

2dcb8e02-6d1d-4c2f-b70f-e734d03b11cc.jpg

Thanks for sharing your model with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That looks really good Callum, a scheme I've had decals for, for longer than I care to admit, maybe its time I got off my backside & used them? :)

Steve.

Do it is a great couple of weeks project -especially if you go wheels up.

• Like 1