The Freedom Tank (Now with extra photo to indicate scale.)

y4mG7Umcxvb6V98dIZ-DP_ZwDXGq4vNcDuJDcyqb

The Freedom Tank disappears into the night leaving the border guards bemused....

y4mLjN1ILJ_rEvSGXuU5MeU_uThs6K1VOAWnyitV

I really don't think that old engine will take them much further.

y4m6lnOs_JhnxHX67UU3YICFpqQtSofVM-N33Rau

It's a funny looking thing, isn't it?

y4m3s3X6RG6ZIlTSF1lR8VYBghmrSR79_676gy5c

I'm very pleased with the dust. Of course each layer of weathering partly covers up the previous ones. It may have benefitted from revisiting some of them but I'm happy with it as it is.

y4m3lvTIt0rVluBLWPsIwDJzTxlpDYGwI2SdFFIQ

No mudguards so I'm assuming that dust and dew would have splattered up the sides a little. I doubt that it ever went very fast though so I held it down.

y4mZpiC4p13wYD3A0VQVvWjV58rPlRSzHZRDOCru

It's dusty on top because it was in a scrapyard under construction for two anxious years.

y4mjRowj-8E-oz5nzVLXoYYsvO0izbeHU0D1exWJ

You can see that it needed the rusty exhaust pipe as a counterpoint to the grey/green scheme.

y4ml4e5zkCJpi79Qhy0pkRd5NBYiLBEXQ2xLImtq

Can anyone tell me what that Russian word means? It was a random decal that I thought looked good there.

y4mS9eesPYMkwZviIkQMxmz6lc7sdEjibvNLPnpP

And one final look at my rusty, oily, dusty and battered front end. No chipping this time. It didn't seem to need it.

y4mG7Umcxvb6V98dIZ-DP_ZwDXGq4vNcDuJDcyqb

"Sbohem komunismu!

Ahoj kapitalismu!"

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Can anyone tell me what that Russian word means? It was a random decal that I thought looked good there.

Сталин is the man who, along with Hitler, started WWII.
On the decal was written "За Сталина!".
"A" needs to be removed. In Russian correctly "Сталин"
I probably write in English just as funny.😁
Why did the Czechs write in Russian and not in Czech?
Congratulations on completing the model!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Lovely model, with some great little details. I especially like how the exhaust turned out.

Thanks. Rust is my middle name!

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo!  :clap2:

That looks excellent!

And I love the story behind it.

Thank you. I kinda drifted off the story a bit but all the best stories change with the telling.

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Well, that out very nicely Bertie.  Congratulations!

Thanks Cliff

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Bravo Bertie, bravo.👏👏👏 An oddball with a great story behind it. Great modelling.

Thanks Stef. It was a fun build.

• Like 2

The oddest AFV model I've seen for quite some time, but very nicely done. The paintwork and weathering look great.

What's next? Something a bit less mainstream? 😄

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stunning build there Bertie. You've used what you called older techniques like washes and dry brushing to good effect, my go to.  Well done.

Staurt

One this one I Found that that was all I needed. I achieved my main aim which was to have fun. And I like it enough to keep it in the display cabinet. So I declare a total victory over this kit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StuartH said:

Fabulously quirky and finished in a fitting manner which really suits the vehicle 👍

Fabulously quirky. I like that, thank you!

9 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That's one mean looking beast Bertie, I like it a lot...👍

Ed

Thanks Ed. I must add a photograph with something to give you scale because it is a tiny kit, especially now that I have thrown away most of it 😆

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IanC said:

The oddest AFV model I've seen for quite some time, but very nicely done. The paintwork and weathering look great.

What's next? Something a bit less mainstream? 😄

Thanks Ian. It is a bit of an oddball to be sure! I think it's the most scratch building I have done so far. I'm quite pleased that it came out as straight and level as it did.

9 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

That looks great Bertie, odd little thing that it is. Nice scratch building. You’ve flown through this thing, plenty of time for another!

Thank you Bigfoot. Yes it did not take long, especially as I was working on my boat model on alternate days. I have already started another. A Rolls-Royce armored car which I am building in a bit of a what if manner. 

On 10/23/2022 at 11:29 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

The military wheels and tires are very different to the lorry wheels in the references but hey will have to do. Mucho mud will help me here. 

Those look very like Opel Blitz wheels which may be easy enough to find. I'm very wary of the 'rubber' tyres after one set too many shrinking&cracking or turning the styrene to goop.

However the result is great and why not a bit of artistic license? Sticking to the hardware and just adding cosmetic details seems fair enough to me.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Those look very like Opel Blitz wheels which may be easy enough to find. I'm very wary of the 'rubber' tyres after one set too many shrinking&cracking or turning the styrene to goop.

However the result is great and why not a bit of artistic license? Sticking to the hardware and just adding cosmetic details seems fair enough to me.

Thanks! In Grand Operatic modelling, my personal style, accuracy doesn't matter as long as the end product looks dramatic and interesting and has a decent libretto (story). Also it only needs to last for a season so the Freedom tank will be in the bin long before the tyres revert to crude oil or tree sap or whatever they are made from these days. It's a bit unconventional but it's a hugely enjoyable way of making models.

32 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Excellent Bertie,  turned out magnificently!

Now't wrong with good old fashioned dry brushing either.

Atb 

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. I like the result too and had a lot of fun. What more can I ask for?

• Like 1