The Freedom Tank (Now with extra photo to indicate scale.)

11 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It's tomorrow. It's agony!

Just joking fellers.

y4mv-80r9Z4R23QlOkmfuBTdA-sLxqE1Ojmugc_x

These are the parts for one track. There are 162 pieces which is cool as I only need 138 per side. It's good to have spares, thanks HB. In order to turn this shrapnel into tracks, I will need some help.

y4mUKN9ixPQJTYog7taz84cQAPiuvS1wMABe6oaR

So I built a jig to keep things straight. The sellotape is to stop the glued links sticking to the cutting board.

y4mSvmMwrWmIIkd1MJ6V-YUy96VCVdC552gFF7Ot

The lolly sticks are long enough to hold a track long enough to do the length of the tank. The links will be a sliding fit between the sticks so if I need longer sections they can slide out of the left end as I add links at the right.

y4mpjmYzjS2_yZWWlVwQNL8hn_NxLNxBWJG4j47U

The first half dozen links were difficult but then I found the best way to hold them. After that all was well, if a bit tedious. I settled into a working rhythm and the track lengths just grew in front of my eyes.

y4maoGaxzmZGUTgLMmJcYuJPEciF1fMWIH2eYKX0

And in it slithers. 

y4mRp_UdUMYUAalEFaZ5LfmNmB8idcsO71Tj3RzR

70mm is the length of the tracks in contact with the ground. Why start here? It was the easiest bit and provided me with 'training' at making lengths quickly. Next session I'll be making lengths and fitting them while they are still soft enough to manipulate around the curves of the sprocket, idler and return rollers. I want this track to be very slack, for effect. It's not been well maintained by tankies - it's a lash up by a motor mechanic, remember.

y4mA13XTTFjn5FUQSrrtawfQXuzfGILs38cvXYBi

Side one.

y4mawMNIpZ23fvolmvErbtt3TxjdoRbbyOd6IKNX

Side two done. Much faster. Next session, when my fingers (or the parts of my brain that control them) have had time to process the process, I'll churn track out like a goldfish having a poo. 

I looked at the times on the photos and from the bowl of bits to side two done was a couple of minutes over an hour. So there wasn't any agony really. I could do more tonight but I'll be getting tired soon and making mistakes today will mess up the brain learning that will happen overnight, so I'll pack up for the night and play with the dog instead.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up with this. What a great story, and the model looks great so far too! I've always thought these odd vehicles really suit the word "contraption".

• Thanks 1

Amazing those tracks must be murder. I’ve never actually completed an AFV with individual links. I did build the Airfix M3 and started assembling the individual tracks until I realised that the rubber band tracks actually looked more realistic, so they’re in the spares box, now I have enough spare m3/m4 running gear bits thanks to the m3 and my recent wolverine build so some day they may see the light of day as one of the M3/M4 early prototypes.

• Like 1

y4mjS4QqRr5lgenbqqTEmD1dqET585gMy5HmSlIZ

The plan was to make a run of track approximately long enough to wrap around the various wheels and finish somewhere on the sprocket. I'd then fill in the gap on the sprocket with individual links. I underestimated the length required so I ended in space half an inch short of the sprocket. A minor kerfuffle ensued and eventually the track was formed.

y4msWGSvlm9_VrMDX6FZRUiMfEMKBZlb-4tF-nKY

It could have been neater. However, it's meant to look like a track on its last journey and this is close enough. There's always mud, my friends!

• Like 24

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Looks very good!:worthy:

I thought you were going to make some straight lengths and join them with individual links around the sprockets. Like Tamiya's parts 

Thanks.

The plan was originally to make the full length and then, when the glue had sett well enough to holt it together BUT before it became too dry and lost its flexibility, to wrap it around the suspension. HOWEVER, the links were so tiny that the window between too wet and too dry was tiny AND I couldn't build all 140 links fast enough. So I did the three sections and bodged them together in a panic. 

On the next side I'll try making link and length, as you suggest. It will take a few days longer but that's ok.

Incidentally, I used xylene as a cement. It's very strong stuff and melts the plastic sufficiently deeply that the flexibility time is quite long compared to Tamiya Extra Thin. BUT I have woken with a sore throat and headache which might be the common cold or more likely is over exposure to xylene fumes. I feel dog rough and won't be using that stuff again, in winter, with the windows shut, for a long session. Silly me!

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Hope you feel better soon Bertie, the tracks look great and sit nicely, well done..

Ed

Thanks Ed. I seem to be ok now. 

Not opening a window was a schoolboy error. I was keeping the noise of the fireworks down for the sake of the dog, who probably also had a headache this morning.

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2022 at 9:46 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

So I built a jig to keep things straight. The sellotape is to stop the glued links sticking to the cutting board.

I will have to use this technique when I get around to building my MiniArt Croatian T-55A.  

On 11/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

There's always mud, my friends!

If you need it!  This is a wonderful build you're having so much fun with. 

On 11/6/2022 at 2:09 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Thanks Ed. I seem to be ok now. 

Not opening a window was a schoolboy error. I was keeping the noise of the fireworks down for the sake of the dog, who probably also had a headache this morning.

The following day (the 7th) I had the worst migraine I've suffered for decades. Connected? Who knows.

y4mawMNIpZ23fvolmvErbtt3TxjdoRbbyOd6IKNX

We left the right side right back up the page, in this condition, right. There was a lot left to do.

y4mq35P06W2jU5FWfCNQbqNIZ4yIEoe5vj8Ktsru

This time it was Tamiya cement, smaller track sections, and the window was OPEN.

y4mVMwrbhTT-PLmSKnbtIfeT9Ox__lHa4cEiGej1 

Despite it being a compromise solution. The track sections went on with only minor kerfuffles.  I had to quickly add a coupe of links to reach that roller.

y4mMPpkiGEAkDsa98Q6N12dHgxEK4D_i-t7hywf0

And I had to cut a link off to make that top run fit nicely. This track is tighter than the other side, which I prefer. I think I over did the looseness on the first go. I must have been drunk on the fumes.

I'll soon be painting the beast but first I must sort out the wheeled drive system. That's the next exciting episode.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The tiny track links look pretty tedious to work with but end up so realistic. Love the historical subject and scratchbuilding too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ted said:

The tiny track links look pretty tedious to work with but end up so realistic. Love the historical subject and scratchbuilding too.

They were at first Ted. I got more used to handling them each session and by last night I was pretty slick. I suggest short sessions over several days is the best method of learning a new physical skill. If you do longer sessions too early, concentration goes, you make errors and if you continue - you practice making mistakes - and learn them!

Edit: the lolly stick jig was invaluable. I couldn't have done these tracks without it. 

• Like 1

Nothing done today on the Freedom Tank. Instead, I undertook a full scale reorganisation of my working area, then the room, then the kitchen and storeroom too.

Actually I moved a thing. Which meant moving some other things. Which soon led to multiple trips to the loft, attic and several layers of cellars - and I live in a flat! 

I predict a general slowing down in my model making output in weeks to come because I won't be able to find anything ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/10/2022 at 3:27 AM, Ted said:

The tiny track links look pretty tedious to work with but end up so realistic.

y4mcJ47cySFL8DkoJjdad7UcTaO3Cr2T5xlQP1wC

They do look good. This is the view from below at the inside of the track.

y4m34nVx87YXYC4s8hZrMU8_PZm-jygF804Ym2JZ

And the outside, looking down. I almost wish I'd bothered to clean up the links properly. Almost. There's weathering to hide that stuff. 😄

y4maNZald60yyEwjTiCriqjJ6oFHw9M9tHqIpFYO

I installed the tyred wheels tonight, without their tyres. The rubber tyres are an easy fit on the hubs so this is an easy way round the masking problem. Sloppy tyre to hub paint lines are as obvious as cross eyed figures and I'm happy that it will be this easy.

y4mFw-akBeA3OPZE3QFyJoUNmAi5pBn9zIiCfUws

The AC was rear wheel drive only in its road going configuration.

I believe that leaves the exhaust pipe and a few handles to fit and then let painting commence!

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

AC was rear wheel drive only in its road going configuration.

I wonder how it was steered? There's no sign of any steering mechanism. I guess HobbyBoss simplified that out of existence and I'm grateful. It's fiddly enough as it is. 😀

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I wonder how it was steered? There's no sign of any steering mechanism. I guess HobbyBoss simplified that out of existence and I'm grateful. It's fiddly enough as it is. 😀

They certainly did that in some other kits...simplified it out of existence or just didn't care what it was or how it was supposed to work. :blink:

Lest anybody think I'm being unduly harsh, check out the ramp winch on their LCM v. reality. Miles apart...

• Like 1