Tamiya 1/35 M8 Greyhound - FINISHED

IanC

Here's what I'll be working on as my first entry into the GB, a kit and subject that is fairly new to me but one that I hope will prove to be a stress-free build. Tamiya supply a reasonable interior, so I think I'll probably leave that as is it is and concentrate my efforts on the outside - photos show these things to be piled high with stowage, so I shall certainly be adding plenty of bags, boxes and bedrolls. Not sure about figures at this stage but I always include at least one, and the kit supplied bod looks ok to start with.              

spacer.png

One of the kit decal options is this vehicle, which is the one I will probably try and recreate: 

spacer.png

[US Signal Corps Photo]

• Like 15

Like your style here Ian! I just finished this one, the version which comes with the stowages and couple of crew and really enjoyed it. 
  I wanted to pose the front wheels as turning to the right which would have been ok if I’d done it right. The wheel was too turned and pressed up against the mud guard so caused a slight wobble of the whole model, I tired to correct it and ended up pressing down too hard and breaking off the back wheel. I reattached it ok and I’ve since tried to cover the wobble/correct the  balance with mud under the front wheel! Where would we be without glorious mud! 
  Anyway good luck and I’d like to follow along your progress.

Edited by Muchmirth
Added comment
  • Like 1

The M8 is off the blocks with the chassis done after an hour or two's work. Being Tamiya, assembly is obviously a breeze, which suits me well as I'm in a rather knackered post-Covid state. 😴   

spacer.png

I also cleaned up some bags, bedrolls and other bits from Tamiya's US stowage set, some of which will be used to give it that essential lived in look. I think they look pretty good for plastic items. Anyway, it's good to have made a start! 😀   

spacer.png

• Like 17

23 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Like your style here Ian! I just finished this one, the version which comes with the stowages and couple of crew and really enjoyed it. 
  I wanted to pose the front wheels as turning to the right which would have been ok if I’d done it right. The wheel was too turned and pressed up against the mud guard so caused a slight wobble of the whole model, I tired to correct it and ended up pressing down too hard and breaking off the back wheel. I reattached it ok and I’ve since tried to cover the wobble/correct the  balance with mud under the front wheel! Where would we be without glorious mud! 
  Anyway good luck and I’d like to follow along your progress.

Thanks. Yes, I thought of doing something similar with the wheels - glad I didn't now..😄 

16 hours ago, StuartH said:

Looking forward to this.

I found this website very useful . 54 photos of M8s

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/armoured-vehicles-2/m8_greyhound/

Some great inspiration there - cheers! 

16 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like a good start. 
Always find cleaning bedrolls a chore, think you've done a good job there.

Thanks Stuart. I was going to 'roll my own' using Milliput and masking tape straps but I may now just use that stuff to bed the plastic ones onto the vehicle, maybe with a few tarps to help blend everything together. I think getting the stowage right is key to the overall look of an Allied AFV

• Like 2

The wheels are on - temporarily - and the interior painted. That'll be weathered with a wash and some chips and dirt, although I quite like it in its pristine state. 😀 Apparently the turret interior is olive drab, which would make sense. One question I have - what on earth did the bloke in the front next to the driver actually do? He hasn't got a weapon to operate and the radio is on the other side and further back, unless he was expected to squeeze backwards into the turret when in action...

spacer.png  

There's something quite appealing about the shape of this thing!

spacer.png

• Like 18

1 hour ago, IanC said:

One question I have - what on earth did the bloke in the front next to the driver actually do? He hasn't got a weapon to operate and the radio is on the other side and further back, unless he was expected to squeeze backwards into the turret when in action...

There was no sat nav in those days, he would tell him where to go, much like having the wife in the passenger seat. :whistle:

Your M8 is looking good, I was seeing if there was any AM out there to spur me on to build mine, I already have a metal barrel.  I could only find some resin wheels, the only improvement on the kit ones were side wall logos, a choice of Firestone or Dunlop at more than 50% of the kit price was an option I could pass on.  I was hoping to find some with snow chains fitted so that I could build an Ardennes/Battle of the Bulge snow camo one. :idea:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That's looking very nice indeed. Super job with the interior too. My reference book has the person next to the driver simply as 'co-driver'.... as Bob says above someone simply to moan about the driving😂 Are you having the hatches open?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IanC said:

There's something quite appealing about the shape of this thing!

Have to agree. And it's shaping up just nice.

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was hoping to find some with snow chains fitted so that I could build an Ardennes/Battle of the Bulge snow camo one. 

Those wheels look very similar to the ones on the M3 White Scout Car. There is a company (whose name escapes me at the moment) who make replacement wheels for the M3, fitted with snow chains.

John.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StuartH said:

..Are you having the hatches open?

Probably not Stuart. I thought about adding some crew in the front with hatches open but have since scotched that idea. Some of the driving compartment should still be visible by looking down through the open turret. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more progress: the inside has been lightly weathered and the hull finished apart from the aerial bases, which I want to heat and bend backwards so the aerials can be tied down. The mudguards will be fitted once the undersides and wheels are painted, although it does look good without them!  

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

That interior is looking superb 👍. Great work.

I've noticed that about tying down the aerials on these vehicles. It seems very common on reference photos...was that to avoid hitting tree branches and such like?

Good thinking about heating them. I didn't think of that and I've already glued mine in place🙄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StuartH said:

That interior is looking superb 👍. Great work.

I've noticed that about tying down the aerials on these vehicles. It seems very common on reference photos...was that to avoid hitting tree branches and such like?

Good thinking about heating them. I didn't think of that and I've already glued mine in place🙄

Yes, I think that was the idea - to stop them snagging on things. Also means the model is easier to store! 

I'll echo what's been said Ian, the interior looks great lightly weathered. 

Mine always end up looking like they've just survived two or three consecutive hard winters, one of these days I'll learn.....:doh:

Nice idea with the aerial mounts too!

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, Retired Bob said:

I was hoping to find some with snow chains fitted so that I could build an Ardennes/Battle of the Bulge snow camo one. :idea:  

Well, depending on how adventurous you are or want to be 🤨https://www.minor-web.com/10.html sell etch snow chains for the wheels... I can't comment on this particular product, but I do have a set of their 251 printed tracks and they are brilliant!

• Like 1