Tamiya 1/35 M8 Greyhound - FINISHED

IanC

43 minutes ago, sampanzer said:

Well, depending on how adventurous you are or want to be 🤨https://www.minor-web.com/10.html sell etch snow chains for the wheels... I can't comment on this particular product, but I do have a set of their 251 printed tracks and they are brilliant!

Thanks, I did see some p/e snow chain sets but usually the p/e looks too flat to get the proper effect of a chain.  Then there's sods law, if I went for that option and they looked a bit "meh".  As soon as it was finished a superb set of 3D printed wheels with snow chains attached would come onto the market.  Always the way!  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You can always make your own with proper chain, like they use in ship builds...just sayin'.

Don't think I haven't thought about it, Stuart.  But breaking small chain links and re-attaching them to form snow chains for six wheels could cause......problems.  :hypnotised: 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Don't think I haven't thought about it, Stuart.  But breaking small chain links and re-attaching them to form snow chains for six wheels could cause......problems.  :hypnotised: 

Black dog do a set for the m20. The wheels would fit an m8 as well.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/black-dog-t35047-us-m20--149458

Also this set if you want fewer accessories

https://wildcatsmodels.com/metal-resin-adds/10360-us-m20-accessories-sett35048-black-dog-135.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StuartH said:

Also this set if you want fewer accessories

Thanks for the link, Stuart.  They will be ordered this weekend.  I looked on the Wildcat's ebay site for M8 wheels and all I found were resin wheels with Firestone or Dunlop logos. :shrug:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks for the link, Stuart.  They will be ordered this weekend.  I looked on the Wildcat's ebay site for M8 wheels and all I found were resin wheels with Firestone or Dunlop logos. :shrug:

Also this set from Royal Model:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/royal-model-677-chained-wheels-m8-m20--217204

Screenshot (164)

• Like 2

I managed to get quite a bit done over the weekend. The paint is on - just bog standard Tamiya XF-62 OD with a bit of post-shading and highlighting, achieved by adding black or dark yellow into the mix. Next, it will be a coat of varnish, pin wash and the decals. Then I ought to think about the stowage, although I do love the look of this thing in its clean, uncluttered state! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

On 21/11/2022 at 12:14, IanC said:

I do love the look of this thing in its clean, uncluttered state! 

I feel the same, building wartime AFVs with all the 'stuff' they accumulated for extra protection and personal stowage may be realistic, but they hide so much of the vehicle that you are making.

• Like 1

That's nice painting. The M8 has a nice shape to it indeed. I didn't know of it, but then I'm not exactly an armour expert. Looks like a fun build. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuartH said:

Beautiful painting 👍. I love the colour modulation you've achieved and as you say looks superb in its basic form.

Can you get the wheels on and off with the side skirts in place or are the wheels glued on already?

Thanks Stuart. The wheels have polly caps so they can turn but can't now be removed. I painted them before fitting, and also painted and weathered the chassis and undersides of the skirts before gluing them in place. 

• 2 weeks later...

This build has been progressing at a snail's pace but the decals are on and a few bits and pieces added inside the turret. The tools aren't finished yet, and I'm sure they would have been painted OD, but I'm going for a light wood grain effect to add a bit of contrast. I also did a pin wash and some very light dry-brushing which is barely noticeable in the photos but does add a little bit more definition. I just need to add the .50 cal and aerials and then it's on to stowage and weathering. And the figure, of course...  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 16

Thanks for all the comments so far. I've been working on the stowage, using some Value Gear items, Tamiya US packs and a fair bit of Milliput rolled as flat as I can make it for the tarps. Hopefully the result gives it a more interesting 'lived in' look. Not far to go now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7