1/72 Italeri B58

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Another shelf of doom refugee. Finished last week. I started this sometime last century, it probably stalled due to the modellers legit fear of natural metal and all those wheels to paint. In my case I pulled it off the legendary shelf, sanded, primed and made the finish as smooth as possible, then applied Alclad’s primer. It didn’t harden, I gave it a month, no luck. I did some research and found I was a victim of the quality control issues they went through. It didn’t sand off so much as peel off. That took forever. So I sprayed it with Tamiya gloss black and ignored it for a month-I was a little paranoid at this point! Started spraying the Alclad aluminium-it crazed……. I think I applied it too thick. More sanding, more gloss black. I do have to admit this approach of endless prime and sand improved the panel lines by filling them in, which on the full size aircraft are barely noticeable. Eventually I got there.  An entire package of post-it notes gave their lives while painting the panels. Kit was out of the box except for the excellent Caracal decals. They did get the wing walks slightly wrong. I noticed too late. 

Anyway, she is done, a beast of an aircraft, in my case and I don’t see myself doing another. A monument to perseverance or bullheadedness, not sure which.

5CBE87C9-4D92-4997-8A7C-429BF6BCF958

1315A9E1-1F79-4C76-A7A2-3109A2BD11D0

40655EB0-B508-43DB-AE82-E91A4C2976F7

F9C8AD40-B0E3-426D-B3B5-4A6F36BCB430

Which ever the case @Robin-42what a beauty. You should be proud.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Stunning build!

And there should be a law against shelves of doom!

JR

Thanks  for the kind words everyone, I still have an embarrassing number of started kits. I am trying to be self disciplined and only work on those plus I can do one of my WnW stash at a time. I do break my own rule-it is a hobby after all!

Given the crude nature of the molds for this kit, it turned out superb.  Credit your perseverance and bullheadedness but I would include outstanding attention to detail and skill level.  :goodjob:

Mike

10 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Top job on a tough kit. How many different Metallic paints did you end up using to get the different shades? All Alclad’s?

All Alclad. I use Tamiya’s rattle can Gloss Black which I polish. I understand the current Alclad primer is ok, but I am gun shy now! The model actually has mistakes and sanding marks, they just don’t show up in the pictures. If you find a flaw, you have to fix the entire panel, you can’t do touchups with Allcad. What I do like about it, is it dries pretty much instantly and tolerates handling well. I am not sure how many shades. I have all of the range, it was just the modellers, let’s try this one method.🙂

You've done a fantastic job on my favourite plane. Well Done!

However, is it me or does the Italeri Hustler look out of proportion? Either the wings are too small or the cockpit area too large?

I did the ancient Monogram/Revell 1/48 kit with working features a lifetime ago.  It was never painted as were all the models I made at that time.  Even though you went through trying times regarding the metal finish, it looks great and very convincing.  Was to struggle onward and complete this kit.  Thanks for sharing.

10 hours ago, t15dja said:

You've done a fantastic job on my favourite plane. Well Done!

However, is it me or does the Italeri Hustler look out of proportion? Either the wings are too small or the cockpit area too large?

Apparently it was based on inaccurate drawings and is too short. Probably other errors as well. It was ok for it’s time, but like a lot of kits, overdue for replacement. In my case it was a rescue, not a rebuild! Part of it could be the camera lens and position as well, at least I switched out the wide angle!

6 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I did the ancient Monogram/Revell 1/48 kit with working features a lifetime ago.  It was never painted as were all the models I made at that time.  Even though you went through trying times regarding the metal finish, it looks great and very convincing.  Was to struggle onward and complete this kit.  Thanks for sharing.

If I was to define my life, I would say I find brick walls and bash my head against them until they fall over! Shelf of doom currently includes a Novo/Frog Attacker that came with three lower wings and one upper and a Heller CL215 that fell victim to a lamp falling over unnoticed. 100W light bulb vs styrene, styrene lost. On the plus side it didn’t catch fire! The back 1/4 was banana shaped. That has been repaired. It will get done!