WIP- Saipan Sherman A Rusty Wreck 1/72

WIP Saipan Sherman

I came across a neat video of some rusty wrecked semi sunken Sherman Tanks in or should I say off Saipan. I really like the colours and contrast between say the tropical blue of the Lagoon and the rusty reds and oranges. I grabbed a few screenshots of the wrecks in the video that is worth a watch :-

I started by buying a 18cmx 18cm photo frame , pulling out the retaining clips, epoxy and sealing in the glass with clear bathroom sealant so when I add the epoxy later it wont run out the bottom.

y4mxWNEPS05xrJZP_sQ27TNEcdaZAcZXLr2M88ww

y4mxBzduzL7XbISMfSz01iMzu5qIGTRFmYYaZT6c

y4mSioTZMdBYms_eiLzCE1qKOeDNJX2RJUxE0wqD

When I have done similar dioramas in the past with perspex sides I have run into the issue where I ended up marking the perspex and it made getting in about the base awkward, so I decided this time to put spaces in until I got the base completed and the model mounted then I will take the spacers out and replace them with perspex sides of the same size, then do the resin pour.  My next step I cut foam board and mounted it in the frame in order to raise the "seabed"up , I slotted in the spacers and then mixed tile grout with some Mig Ammo ochre, I then added quite a bit of water and smoothed out the grout to get rid of any scultping marks and make the seabed more natural in profile.  I decided to be a little experimental and added some play sand to the wet grout to see if it will stick , if it doesnt I can simply add more with some PVA glue and it will give me the finish am looking for.  

y4m7bG4oQQ2StVDviNKTAJl-shsEwn8Y19HH3fCO

Ive also started the Sherman, its the Heller kit, that might not be the exact model of Sherman, I believe the USMC used M4A2 and the heller kit is a French A4, I feel like the diffrence will be minimal as the end result will be a sherman shaped rusty reck so for me it was an acceptable trade off. 

y4mbkEB_5cAYAQn_HRMRusScRkTz-UZeTJpWAB5p

I primed the sprues with Vallejo Rust Primer, I built the turret and the I test fitted the main upper and lower hull and the turret together,  I decided to use a stipple effect to start building up layers of rust up on it.

The next steps is getting the running gear built up and mounted on the Sherman. I also need to scratch build some of the rusty gun in the turret, I need to drill some holes in the turret top and then get the turret completed inside, I also need to scratch build the back end where the engine block was and figure out what bulkheads I need to put in and think how i can build a engine block, it doesn't need to be accurate as its going to be really rusty and clogged with barnacles and sand and stuff. 

Any thoughts or feedback, hints or tips is really welcome 

Mark

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Mark Cassidy said:

I feel like the difference will be minimal

So long as the engine deck isn't on show, as that's where the main difference is. Good luck with the rest of the build.

John.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

So long as the engine deck isn't on show, as that's where the main difference is. Good luck with the rest of the build.

John.

Cheers mate thanks for the gen, yeah the engine deck is definitely not going to feature very heavily in the build that for sure 👍 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So life this last few weeks has prevented me getting any decent bench time, hence the lack of updates on this wee project, but I have managed to progress it.

So I as per above and then I wanted to leave a blank circle around my sherman and then have the sea grass growing on the periphery, so I used a piece of card and then used 2mm and some 6mm static summer grass. 

y4mX9HJIHHlmGCNFZnScek__VcyZrOxyn21gKIv6

y4mcIRMviU0WayMkZhcNzTa1fzQfsPVtuliALo9E

Then like a plonker I realised I should have left a semi sunken area where the sherman would have settled into the seabed so I had to cut out a hole and then smooth it with grout then play sand again

y4mLrweFvXpTyiBU5CE7SfqddrRS-O4NA6BCTUHv

y4mCk1h6SxT3CFAWrurIFIpoDsAAFEO9hgdDO19o

As for the sherman itself I scratch built a engine compartment, and glued in the tracks  I also created a scratch built engine block, I have been experimenting somewhat with colouring the tile grout with paint and then stippling it on to build it in layers just like the coral and marine growth would have built up over time. 

y4mU5mQacBFRMOuGz99z0WPHG9Vp1_1iL8khtKNg

So the sandy colour for the interior under water colour works well I think, once it was dry I used very thin oil washes to darken and mottle the marine growth as I noticed on one of the videos one of the tanks the marine growth in the engine bay was much darker than on the other parts of the sherman.  Im broadly happy with that to be honest. 

y4mlVk-kKNeK7S-66TdjKQHjaexF1D-eCEUL4n0K

Am less happy with the same technique I tried to use on the upper surfaces, I think part of the issue is the tile grout is white pre mixed so when I add the paint two things happens is one the tile ends up runnier than I want and two it ends up lighter than the colour I intended and it dries even lighter.  Im wondering if getting some grout in powder form would help thicken the grout , but am not sure how to get the colour not really darker but "richer" the grout seems to desaturate the colour compared with what comes out the bottle so I would be grateful for any thoughts you might have? 

y4mTZDyBElmGpB9jZ_j0uTzdZipplzbsxdAjz_gw

I should say I also have cut the perspex sides and epoxyied them in to place. the next steps is to add some more corrosion on the areas i have missed, then I need to figure out how to get that really vivid orange colour onto the turret like you see in the video, then it will be time for the resin pours. 

Any thoughts or feedback gratefully received 

Mark

• Like 9

I've had similar problems trying to turn gesso black. I think there is just so much white granular material in grout and gesso that it doesn't matter how dark we make the binder, the white material acts like a course pigment and shines through. I know that grout is available in different colors, perhaps they use a different filler material?

I forgot to say that the model looks terrific 👍😁

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2022 at 15:11, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've had similar problems trying to turn gesso black. I think there is just so much white granular material in grout and gesso that it doesn't matter how dark we make the binder, the white material acts like a course pigment and shines through. I know that grout is available in different colors, perhaps they use a different filler material?

I forgot to say that the model looks terrific 👍😁

On 20/11/2022 at 15:46, ProfSparks said:

You could try ready mixed brown wood filler instead of tile grout? 

Gents 

Thanks for the tips I will need to give both those a try and see how i get on, , this will sound weird but actually on reflection the slightly lighter shades helped me put the oils on top, so all's well that ends well. 

BTW am really using oils for the first time, OMG how good are they! 

Thanks again. 

A wee update.

I started the resin pours on Friday night and had a bit of a mare with the resin, it started oozing up between the acrylic sides and the outside of the photoframe, , so I let that dry and then removed it as best I could with  a knife, it didnt look too bad. I then messed up slightly by using the too much Tamiya clear blue and ended up with some banding of the resin layers. Its not too noticeable to be honest and I still have issues with my resin having really small bubble in. I did all the ususal things warmed it in luke warm water before mixing then using a blow torch to burst the bubbles when they formed.   

y4mq64PV0I8CyXrlSbJ3YkpEy1CyG0ccrIBQcRp3

After pouring the rest of the resin I finished off the surface with a stipple effect of AKs water effects as the resin was too smooth for the surface of the sea.

But the good news is I am calling it done, I have created a new thread in the ready for inspection section, 

As always am happy for feedback and I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me hints tips and encouragement on this one 😀

Cheers

Mark

• Like 4