PB (personal build) MAC 1/72nd scale SPAD VII C-1, 19 Sq. France, 1917...

I haven't forgotten my '19 Squadron Personal Build' goals...

I am very happy that MAC re-released their SPAD VII kit.  Having built it before, I know it goes together well.  And the Avalon decal set has two different markings for the 19 Sq. SPAD VII, which they flew from October 1916, for only a few months before upgrading to the SPAD XIII in January of '17.  I'll be building this profile...

52443637888_ca44d001e4_k_d.jpg

And here's the boxtop of the MAC kit.

52443637893_2b9abe916d_c_d.jpg

I'll start it sometime this weekend.  Other stuff to do first!

--John

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

I remember you.  I built one of these a few years ago when they came out...the Italian aircraft as I recall.  I also recall ditching most of the PE add-ons for the cockpit.  

52510892609_98a6d02d06_o_d.jpg

I'll get into it tomorrow I hope.

--John

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to this.

MAC just rereleased this kit.  It's a decent kit, much better than the old Airfix.  I cannot comment on the Pegasus.  The moulds are nice, the plastic of good quality.  It is incredibly small and, of course, is a twin-bay rigging scenario which gives even me the shivers sometimes.  I'll probably start in on the cockpit area today and get the drilling done and out of the way.  The decals, if you use them, are excellent.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

nice to hear MAC is good kit, as I have one in my stash 🙂

Good luck with your second build 👍

Thank you...

I began.  I decided to try the PE this time.  Years have passed and perhaps I am better at it...

52512416610_d01292af98_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

but I could only find the DUX-built version kit.

This is the same kit.  It even has the skis!  I have the Dux kit too.  Waiting for the next Ragnarok GB…

46 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Good luck! It isn't easy kit, but definitely a good one. And SPADs are soooo cool!

thanks.  I’ve built it before.  Not so bad.  Better than the Roden DVII!  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

This is the same kit.  It even has the skis!  I have the Dux kit too.  Waiting for the next Ragnarok GB…

Great! I didn't know if there were differences apart from the skis. Nothing to stop me, now!

What are their other kits like? You mentioned the Roden D.VII. I've got some Roden kits as well.....

Cheers,

Mark

20 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

What are their other kits like? You mentioned the Roden D.VII. I've got some Roden kits as well.....

Dump the Roden Fokkers in the bin or use them for spare parts and build Eduard.  The other MAC kits are decent, especially their Phonix kits.  Their DVII kits are not perfect either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Masters said:

Dump the Roden Fokkers in the bin or use them for spare parts and build Eduard.  The other MAC kits are decent, especially their Phonix kits.  Their DVII kits are not perfect either.

Great, thanks! I've got several Phonixes and I'm looking forward to one of those in the Recce GB.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 11:49 PM, 2996 Victor said:

I'm looking forward to one of those in the Recce GB.

Me too!  Very nice.

Meanwhile...

I have the fuselage together and I really put some pressure on the two halves to make sure everything was in alignment.  And guess what?  The PE fit just fine.

It proves that an extra 15 years between kits is a benefit.  Don't mind the tail section not being perfect.  That can be adjusted with a file.

52529465447_e17522b9d5_z_d.jpg

Not so bad...

52529929401_f256d708f7_z_d.jpg

I also decided to get the decals on the wheels.  I figured if it didn't work well, this would be the time to find out.  I trimmed them down as close to the roundel as I could...

52530216679_8d3898ed2c_z_d.jpg

And they look very nice.  I'll give them some matt varnish.  I even like the grey rubber.

52530408165_633af3519c_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 12

Excellent progress! The grey tyres look splendid - the colour was due to use of natural latex, I believe? This is inspiring me to unearth one of my SPADs :)

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent progress! The grey tyres look splendid - the colour was due to use of natural latex, I believe? This is inspiring me to unearth one of my SPADs :)

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Yes...natural latex.  The colours ranged from grey, tan, and even a dusty pink in some cases.  I guess vulcanization was an expensive process and hadn't caught on even though it had been around since the mid-19th century, via Firestone.  I'm probably wrong about that.

In any case, more fun tonight...

The fuselage looks nice. I smoothed off the seam on the turtledeck.  I also filed down the area where the stabilizer fits so now it is flush with the tail.  I'll fill in the gap later.  I also attached the panel, nose and ears.  

52532391991_deba02342a_z_d.jpg

Looks alright!

52532931543_6ec77ea959_z_d.jpg

Funny thinking how small the SPAD 7 and 13 were.  I've seen the real thing fly in Rhinebeck and it is much smaller than the Fokker DVII.  

Not as small as the Dr.1, however.

I've prepped the struts with some 'wood' and given them their 'canvas tape' strengthening bands.  

52531920027_4f1055e2f4_z_d.jpg

I am thinking ahead for once and will apply the rudder decal first and set it aside.  So I have mixed up a CDL for this aircraft.  A 1:1 ratio for the paint.  I only need a little bit for the rudder so I have more than I need, but that's ok.  I can make more.

52532391986_700bc0c629_z_d.jpg

The rudder...drying...

52532865885_3bb88776a6_z_d.jpg

More anon...

--John

• Like 10

Time for a bit more today.

The lower wings are very nice, with delicate detail but the little nubbins that are supposed to secure it to the fuselage will not suffice.

52533784116_b8cfac4283_z_d.jpg

52534261120_4a7e90e6ae_z_d.jpg

I've used a bit of brass rod to replace one of them on each wing and get rid of the other.  I cut them off carefully and marked the spot with a pen.  Time to drill!

This is the result...

52534261235_b56b936d2d_z_d.jpg

Some CA did the trick and I used some CA gel to fill the very small gap between the wing roots and the fuselage.

52534328163_fc26f8729f_z_d.jpg

Like the wheels before, I have taken care of the rudder decal.  It fits very well.  It looks funny here because it is very wet.

52534328088_f8a65f51f7_z_d.jpg

Regarding drilling...I think I will skip drilling holes in the wings for the rigging and rig this with stretched sprue and white glue instead.  

--John

• Like 11

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

drilling...I think I will skip drilling holes in the wings for the rigging and rig this with stretched sprue and white glue instead.  

That's definitely got my interest, I've never tried that method before so will be taking notes. 

Your CDL colour perfect, I'm enjoying seeing this come together.

Richie

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thank you!  It's painstaking.  But it works.  I might use CA instead of white glue.  We'll see.

Painstaking is fine, EZ line becoming detached is not. My Sopwith Tripe a made a few years has shed quite a few lines and looks rather forlorn!

• Sad 1

Coming on very well, it looks a nice kit. I have built the Airfix kit twice, once in about 1980 and again in the late 1990s. Neither has survived. It is fairly dreadful kit, that did not seem to be well moulded. 

This is coming along very nicely.

Don't forget that although it is a twin bay to look at, it's rigged as a single bay with the flying and landing wires passing through the centre of the middle pair of struts.

Ian

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:23 AM, RichieW said:

EZ line becoming detached is not.

Thank you! I try to avoid the stuff.

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

It is fairly dreadful kit, that did not seem to be well moulded. 

Thanks Mr. T.  Yes, the old Airfix WW1 kits leave something to be desired yet still have a home in my heart from more youthful times.

9 hours ago, Brandy said:

This is coming along very nicely.

Don't forget that although it is a twin bay to look at, it's rigged as a single bay with the flying and landing wires passing through the centre of the middle pair of struts.

Thanks Ian.  Yes, it's a complex design.  However, I'll not be drilling any holes in the struts for that 'pass-through'.  Since I am rigging with stretched sprue, it will look like they are going through.  I've done it the other way with this kit, i.e. monofilament and drilling, and I was not a happy man.  It was more or less a disaster.  I'm sure others have done better.

And meanwhile...My team of two won the Pub Quiz this evening .  We played against 4 other teams, each of which had 4 people.  We won.  After paying my tab (one tea and 2 soft drinks) I had a total of 14€ in my pocket.  Note to self: There are 54 countries in Africa and Rhiannon's real name is Robyn Fenty...

More to do with this...landing gear.

52536716599_d5e72193a1_z_d.jpg

52536716539_78243075c5_z_d.jpg

I think priming is next here, then paint.  Coming along.

--John

• Like 9