Beginner field airfield in 1/72

I wanted to show you my field airfield in 1/72. It shows my first steps in dioramas and model building in general. I built my first model 14 months ago. I started with a piece of Styrodur where I basically just wanted to try out different floor types. It wasn't actually supposed to be a diorama. You can see the result of these tests here. There are some premieres: First diorama, first etched parts (Kübelwagen), first towel, my first figures (I had made one before, looked very modest), the first flowers, first resin, the first barrels and much more . It all took a long time because unfortunately I have very little time to devote myself to this wonderful hobby and most of it is really new to me.
There are still a lot of improvements and mistakes that I want to make better with the next "diorama" but not with this one anymore. At some point it is good and something new has to be done. For the next diorama I want to build a scene with a tank, I want to build a British Sherman in France but I still have to do a lot of research. If anyone has a good source for biulders and information please write. Criticism and suggestions for improvement of everything you see are welcome. I also have pictures of the construction if anyone wants to see the misery.
Thanks for reading and for watching
Regards

1hdexv.jpg

2gai4n.jpg

3kkf6h.jpg

4rzfy6.jpg

2022-10-1917.35.07cueh7.jpg

2022-10-1917.35.202bi8t.jpg

2022-10-1917.35.50oqivd.jpg

2022-10-1917.36.042bds6.jpg

2022-10-1917.37.39acem9.jpg

2022-10-1917.37.588eik2.jpg

2022-10-1917.39.56gwfr4.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I think that's outstanding. 

I agree.  So much activity going on with each smaller group of the diorama drawing your eye in closer and telling it's own little story.

cheers, Graham

On 10/21/2022 at 9:34 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Your vegetarian looks spot on

But the meat eaters are a bit overscale?  ;) 

@Agrippa Lovely work and welcome to the forum. Is the bomb cart aftermarket or scratchbuilt? 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Haha 1

Agrippa, I think your diorama is superb and it's clear that a lot of craftsmanship and skill went into assembling it. I especially like the varied ground textures, grasses, flowers and neatly painted figures. This could indeed be any German airfield out on the wild fields of Russia and Ukraine.

I look forward to seeing more of your brilliant creations!

On 21/10/2022 at 07:30, Agrippa said:

I want to build a British Sherman in France but I still have to do a lot of research. If anyone has a good source for biulders and information please write.

Look at the work of @Bullbasket  and @Kingsman is a Sherman buff. 

Is there a preferred  scale?    If you are interested in really nailing down the details, there is quite a learning curve on Sherman details, so it maybe easier to ask what scale/model you would like to do and got from there,  a lot of British Shermans in France were the M4A4 model, which is not the most kitted variant.
You may wish to do a Work In progress build,  then can be great as you get feedback, encouragement, as well and ideas, tips and techniques.

That is a very well observed and crafted diorama,   look forward to more.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your comments. It is not so easy to find a first step to build. Now I have a lot of ideas in mind for the next Dio. Above all, it should no longer be a flat piece of Styrodur.

@Haken

The bomb cart  is included in this set:

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/zvezda-6188-german-air-force-ground-crew--948854

German Air Force Ground Crew from Zvezda

There is also the right bomb (SD 250) for the Zvezda Stuka included.

Only one 500kg bomb is included with the Stuka, which would not be correct with the B2 version and the 4 50kg underwing bombs. Without these 4 bombs the 500kg bomb would be correct but the mounts would have to be completely redone.

The other figures are from a very very old Preiser set (pilots) and CMK (Major Frankenstein's hand).

As for the figures, it's the set of Zvezda German Airfield ground crew, The other figures are from a very very old Preiser set (pilots) and CMK (Major Frankenstein's hand).
There is still a lot to improve, especially the accuracy with which I work.

4flfbd.jpg
4apseju.jpg
4b7xflq.jpg
Major Frankensteins Hand
558dqs.jpg
the figure on the right had a gap on the shoulder that I forgot to fill with putty.
6eae73.jpg
He got a towel.
6a01cyz.jpg
7xeddg.jpg

@Troja Smith

I'm still collecting ideas. I would love to depict an M4A2 in British service, but I'm still in the early stages of research.
It's a pity that I can't use these figures:
6226 British Recon Team
https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/zvezda-6226-recon-team--384544
The Bren Gun looks to be a Mk2, which would limit the set to 1941 or later, while the carriage of the gasmask on the chest would indicate an early war setting. I can't find any pictures with these gas mask canisters after the Dunkirk evacuation. Unfortunately, this is the case with all of Zvezda's British figures. Not so nice, because the Figures from Zvzeda are consistently great.
The period of the new diorama should be from 1944 onwards. It doesn't matter if it's France or Italy, as long as there are trees there. I want trees next 😇

Edited by Agrippa
  • Like 2