Toyota FJ45 Rock Crawler

Hello model builders, it was a nice and sunny day, so I took the FJ out for a ride!  

Here's the link to the build if you'd like to see:

The plan was to convert a Toyota BJ44 into an FJ45 rock crawler.  In case you're not familiar with idea, please see below:

52400364906_918fa8b047_b.jpg

To convert the Italeri 1/24 BF into the FJ45 which is a pickup, and to make it look and generally function like rock crawler, by making operable front and rear four link suspension as shown above. 

So, outside we went for a trail ride:

52442689889_d53bd9e830_b.jpg

As you can see above, the operable suspension allows it to flex to adapt to terrain, keeping each tire on the ground - 

52442866650_a974d1a4ab_c.jpg

52441907877_b3c13ab150_b.jpg

52441907867_71d0a5e1b6_b.jpg

52442420496_32c0ddafdb_b.jpg

52442420486_4ea6d13d1e_b.jpg

52442420476_f4f60fab4b_b.jpg

52442866615_a5826a593f_b.jpg

52442420451_53df1de03f_b.jpg

52442420441_7b4bfc8dd6_b.jpg

52442420426_f29becec62_b.jpg

And there you have it!  I really enjoy outdoor photos.  I also took a few inside, and you can clearly see the benefit of natural light:

52442939523_cf83afd2c0_b.jpg

I started this build several months ago, and just finished it up - I really wanted to get it done.  In retrospect, and after seeing the outdoor images, I realize there are a variety of little details I should have added, and, well, could have done a better job on the weathering - but at the time, this was plenty to do, and I wanted to get it finished! 😀

Ok, thanks for having a look

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 18

Nick, that's absolutely brilliant and the outdoor shots are amazing. Weathering looks fine to me, it's not overdone. Your working suspension is great, I enjoyed this build a lot. Waiting for your next project 🙂 

• Like 1

Incredible work on the suspension and she looks really at home on those rocks.  When most of us photograph our completed models we really want them to be mistaken for a real vehicle and you most definitely achieved that on those outside shoots - Andy 

• Like 1

Got to agree the outdoor shots look extremely realistic which reflects well on both the model and the photography. Dare I say that the only giveaway is the lack of 'give' in the tyres where they're sat on rock edges? But those photos could easily pass for real life.

• Like 1

HI guys,

Thanks for taking a minute to drop by and leave a note!  Glad this build passes your eye test!  

@JeroenS, Hi Jeroen, thanks very much!   I appreciate your comments on the weathering.  I agree, there is a hard to define fine-line of good weathering, and ridiculous weathering.  For now, glad that I kept it on the lighter side!  Also, as I recall, you are familiar with the Fab Rat trucks - pretty modest on the outside, but within - they're fairly complex, and happily for me, their videos are very clear in terms of what they are doing, and how they are building the trucks.

@Vesa Jussila, Hi Vesa, thanks for sticking with this project.  I appreciate your note too - there is a fair amount of detail going on here, but you can't see too much of it!  😀  But, if you know, you know!  it's in there - 

@Marco F., Hi Marco, thanks very much - I really prefer taking final pictures outdoors.  It really lets the project show - for better or worse sometimes!  Over the last year or so I have been fooling around with software to make these images.  I am not good enough with the technology to edit the actual image, but have figured out how to manipulate it - as you'll see below.

@keefr22  Hi Keith, glad you like it!  As you have figured out, I enjoy building up suspensions - it's a good challenge!  

@Pete in Lincs, Hi Pete - as you know - variety of projects is good for a guy!  and, as you have likely figured out, I enjoy off-road vehicles!  As for building more, I ran into some real burnout earlier this year - and just didn't feel like doing it - but, I think that has been overcome - 

@Toftdale, Hi Andy, thanks for dropping by.  Yes, the outdoor pictures - I've seen others do beautiful photography, and as I am a mediocre photographer at best, had to figure out a fun way to show the project.  Glad it passes your eye test!

@Spiny,  I'm glad the photos pass your "eye test" too!  your eagle eye is absolutely right on the tires - they look way too overinflated for this use.  A friend of mine 3d printed the tires to match a particular size and type, which I really appreciate.  I didn't feel too good about asking him to next try and get the correct "sagged" look - just too complicated, and I hate to say, but these were expensive - I just couldn't afford to print several trials to get the look right.

Regarding the photos, I follow a particular process I'm now fairly comfortable with.   I start by trying to find appropriate background images.  This isn't that hard, but it does take some time, so, whenever I come across an image I like, I save it.

A few projects back I built an off-road looking base for another truck - but, did not glue the model to it, so could use if for other projects - and then, just wait for a sunny day:

52444739580_166885e691_b.jpg

As you can see above, the base images we taken in what is essentially a parking lot - with plenty of blue sky - which is important.  First step is to reduce the size of the image.  Then import the file into Photoscape X, where there is a function that allows you to make a cutout.  This process allows you to (tediously!!!) remove unwanted background material - like the fence, truck and buildings you can see above.  

Then, I drop my preferred background into PowerPoint and then drop the cutout over the background.  From there, the task focuses on resizing and moving around until you find something that looks credible.  I don't know if this is how others do it, but, I'm comfortable enough with it.

Ok gents, 

Happy model building!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

@Toryu, thanks very much - glad you like both!

@Anteater, thanks, and I agree with you - after spending time building a project, I have fun getting ready for the RFI 😀  I prefer outdoor photos of my projects - the colors really pop.  Earlier this year I began experimenting with backdrops for use with a diorama - and now, well, I feel pretty good about the presentation technique, but still haven't finished the dio!!  there you go....and of course, I'm pondering a new project, and still not that excited about the dio! 😄

Cheers

Nick