Pobeda 357 ***RFI done***

Good day, everybody!

After a nearly two years long modelling hiatus I decided that it was about time to come back to the workbench.  Being retired now raises the chance of getting something done enormously, no?

During the time before I stopped modelling I stumbled across a kit which at first sight I definitely knew that I had to build it sometimess but I didn’t buy it then. Unfortunately I couldn’t remember the name of it and the company exactly (well – age, isn’t it?) and started a search for this strange thingy.

After quite a while I was lucky to find it again and I was happy that it was still available at my favourite retailer and immediately hit the order button. A few days ago it arrived and I started with it right away.

Here we have the strange thing – it’s the Pobeda 357 by the company AMP.

y4mBnjBQTnwVYQ6fQpRAELGJi11t_yRMHK45H5WF

I really don’t know (and honestly – in this case I don’t care) if this is fact (as the text in the instruction booklet suggests) or fiction, and also if it ever floated or flew or whichever. To me it looks like a US limousine out of the 1950ies but on really hard drugs.

So if this isn’t the correct section to post the WIP, please mods move the thread wherever you decide it fits, thank you very much indeed.

Inside the box you find an instruction booklet, 4 sprues of light grey styrene, and a small bag with clear parts, decals, photo etch parts, masks and a resin part. The parts seem to be nicely moulded, there is nearly no flash to see.  Having a closer look at the small parts one finds the usual moulding seams and moulding misalignment steps which are common in short run kits like this. No problem at all, I wanted it that way.

y4mnLQ2rLIHXJ8J69zGYnAjnStFLCECkL2sXRB4y

y4mFgFOb7b0wVV1uBiKzalpuF8hBydKQ-8gti_-b

y4mYjy4uu8KyBg1VIutnkwVhiG-9atNCZBeYinik

y4mgdpEPh-QvpC8vrzuo0LQYfs4Ka53uoutkEQ47

As per instructions I sprayed some blueish grey to the inner sides of the fuselage halves and the main cockpit parts, painted the seats and the other small parts and put everything together. I also gave the sidewalls of the fuselage halves a grey wash. Completely useless though, you won’t see anything of it once the fuselage halves are closed.

y4mQaByiLi2moCeH_6oo2fw8LTqSHQKVg_raGxKC

y4mpccc-3wwJQKCRDQ30zGxj16D-TMRjWH-G9D7b

After dryfitting the completed interior into one of the fuselage halves it was obvious that the pilot’s seats were way too tall. I ripped them off and cut off the lower parts of the legs. After the blood bath it was okay.

I also noticed that the cockpit floor was a bit too long to fit in between the locator bars. I sanded it shorter at the rear end until everything fits inside.

y4mEWAPWk-8PylucqNQXe6sHJDr3SZ5wGIDa45qg

Now it was time to check if everything fits inside both fuselage halves and – well – as you can see there is a lot of space between them. Obviously the front and rear bulkheads are too wide or too tall or both.

y4mYJAnXoNPBgCrV9JtTO_1IzdIF3w6fKsi25MQI

Nice filing time ahead!

This is the current status, hope to show you some progress soon.

That’s it for now, thank you very much for looking. Please feel free to comment and give advice, it’ll be appreciated!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 15

Hi all,

on with the show. After a quite long and exhausting filing time both bulkheads were shaped to the correct dimensions and the fuselage halves go together nicely.

y4mJO-OkOxivNdgHK6RHeztquf-LBU6L3e0t8Ul7

In between the filing sessions I built the two floaters - they went together very well, the fit of these parts was excellent. Only a little bit of sanding required, no filler necessary.

y4mdP2i-rUD0XFgBlJEyXCd3ZafM-oRRkr9unwcs

Current status after all the filing, interior dry fit:

y4mwD-QQ5cHcnqwN0viM1Aaos1L3cqiMYFQKi7yt

y4mT4bcw-CzDmQ0VTlVzzEqWTwqPM-n03h9WAjXO

Now it's time to figure out how to proceed. The instructions suggest to attach the side windows first: from the outside and second: only at the very last step.

y4mj7xhdcqVWdlI_9HK0w8duMKCAyWRrgGhYbIdP

Well, I am not so sure. I will have to look deeper into the matter before I continue.

That's it for now, thanks for looking. Any comment is very welcome.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

The instructions suggest to attach the side windows first: from the outside and second: only at the very last step.

My advice would be to fit the windows before joining the halves, they should be easy enough to mask for painting. Carry on with your weird build good sir.

Stuart

• Like 1

Slick Steampunk Soviet Supermachine! 

Probably runs on diesel as well ;) judging by the boxart. 

Looks like a fun build, even if it is sorta-short run with all that entails.

I might get one, and do it up in a ZZ-Top hotrod paint job :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

My advice would be to fit the windows before joining the halves, they should be easy enough to mask for painting. Carry on with your weird build good sir.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

thank you very much for the advice, I too think that it would be easier to attach the windows before closing the fuselage. We'll see.

• Like 1

@psdavidson Hi Peter, glad that you follow along. Yes, this craft really looks odd, and thinking that it worked also by antigravity makes it even stranger - back to the future! 😄

@alt-92  Thanks for your comment, antigravity-diesel must be fun, but according to the box art to me it seems more like heating oil, but who knows. Yes, I do enjoy the build so far! Surely this would look great in ZZ-Top outfit bound to La Grange!

• Like 3

Hi all,

after a thorough examination of the situation and following Stuart's advice (thanks again @Courageous) I decided not to follow the instructions, but to attach the windows before closing the fuselage and to attach them from the inside instead. Rebellion!

A quick check revealed this:

y4m7mXKdhTTYk35MFgE5qx1lzA1NtlQPRPEhiqAj

Yes - I knew it - the clear parts are too big. This means making already small parts (4 x 3 mm!) even smaller! So I took my reliable file and on it went.

y4mt_m37-cOAanjJN3niv1B79HkQqFB6LA_C3W-A

y4mkOMW-PymkgbB576fsothibxh0TTAfHrQkJ6bs

First two windows are in place now, fixed with superglue. Not perfect, but that'll do for me. This took me 2 hours! I need a break now!

So not very much to show today, I hope I'll get this done tomorow, then things will speed up again (hopefully).

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

Good morning!

@AdrianMF Hi Adrian, thanks for stopping by and having a look. According to the instructions, there is only a NMF. I think you could do whatever scheme you like having the artistic license in this case. I will stick to the NMF though, if it doesn't turn out well, I could do something different anyway.

@bigbadbadge Hi Chris, thanks for your comment. As stated above, I will go for the metal look.

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

after hours of very careful filing down the clear parts all six side windows were in place.

y4m5ymvlZcHfV9NvrshT1L0FMezBD-bQ-CMYc5XP

y4m32kmAfbzfMFEfMeMnF3zoKzlmcF-L6bKvzaiP

Now things could speed up and it was time to button up the fuselage.

First I attached the interior to the right half. Take a last look at it, you'll never see it again!

y4mI0LQ8tvwRufAuhzFzVsJyHiurqi7mcyE-61NE

After that the fuselage was closed and laid aside to rest for a while. Sanding down the seams later on revealed that only a small amout of filler will be needed here and there. Very good!

y4m9TqxzEXqxiyEOitkkHWRTYk3YCJQgS3-Um1hY

y4mWOXcafIl2UNI0I7egs3_25ws0OZrHB9TLzspe

After this I started the "wing" or how ever this could be called.

y4mriiIeJf-V16031jNrdRewwvVKoT_--Ubdup8G

y4m10VgyWDcLmvn_3eBf85J9hJGKD5ja5Ei3BGJs

Okay. Did I talk about speeding up? Hah hah... Another nice filing/dryfitting/filing/dryfitting session coming up. It could have been worse though.

This is the current status. Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Hi everybody,

today I filed down the lower part of the wings, it wasn't as bad as expected. The fit is quite good now, there is only a tiny step between the fuselage and the forward section of the wing. This will be easily sanded down later.

y4m2PaNv2prWJIvrpxUfAI-UINcljWuJQr8IpVpg

Next up were the upper parts of the wings.

y4m66-7tJQDCvRD6kWXASlGdc5UiuzgeXHzM0Mh3

Dryfit

y4m9D773bq4W_LXmuvwq7uY5YVK5tu1z-niVkvzp

y4mYwlawbzucL0_kq0XzmUPmZWjieerMjtSd2_4i

Looking good!

y4m02nyR-Vi_IKv0Uf8PxjvETdXpA4UoardSrlV8

y4mUGxo_vg_QgwL_zcfaHhGbIOtMoE1Fe-MrWwe4

Not so good! A slight shape issue on both sides. The problem was solved quite quickly by sanding down the lower parts a little bit.

y4mNEkcT7LJzauduxxvCzoOklcMCdvoNBTIIHABC

y4mLhUjUz8ir-1e0ebzWhgMBgMzajM25jCcHFEhD

y4mzQIe5XV5FS1dCV9nK4nUY-mjyzx8fwmXQhn-M

y4mpZrBx0K74o61sdiHzo_noSWGAvyLszVaHGICc

Looking good now. Before I start to attach the floaters I sanded down the small step between forward fuselage and wing and filled the gaps, using Revell Plasto and Mr. Surfacer 500.

y4mo3uK73f70xsUk4-8hyzLRy9khTnbaLuTYOHFm

y4mQ28cET1KhXyuqlICS06ZPN8YXkX0eWhhVbJH1

It's put to rest over night.

This is the current status, it was a giant leap forward!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, flashlight said:

the clear parts are too big

Have you tried Microscale Kristal Klear it’s a PVAtype solution that will fill up to a 1:4 inch square and dries clear and flat.

58B5933F-C953-4CB0-AB59-1673AC82E0C4.jpgused on my benebato for all bar the windscreen.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

@Marklo Hi Marklo, thank you very much for the comment. I know about Krystal Klear but I never have tried it. It would surely have been an easier and faster way to do the windows of my machine. Looks great on your model! I suppose you can only attach the Krystal Klear windows after the painting of the model, I imagine that masking such windows would be difficult if not impossible. Right?

Hi all,

the first sanding session is done and it shows that in some places there is still some filler needed.

y4muPYPoPRXFHfWuvBPXXZVvuEBFSJqO1km8Wsy1

y4mun50OpIK1yFyFGGvSwSeFP-2cyY2gIkOenlh5

After this I did some dryfitting of the floaters to the wings that showed that the fit is suboptimal. On the wings' ends are shapes (red arrow) that have to go into corresponding recesses in the floaters (blue arrow).

y4mrSCFEVVE7X8BBMfR0f_PSJQBe6cP-RO9PyQE7

I am afraid that this causes the fit problems and I think that I will sand down the shape on the wings as far as possible and then see what will happen.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 3