F-35 RAM tape really smooth, right?

Robertone139

Very nice photo, thank you for sharing it. I had a chance to study two USAF F-35As at very close range in June. Many modellers say that the paint has a "metallic sheen" in it. No matter how closely I looked at the two planes, the only thing I could saw was dark grey surface with egg shell finish. Looking at this photo, there clearly is a "metallic sheen". The plane looks like it has been painted with old Humbrol 56 (Aluminium).

The RAM tapes are covered with paint. From one angle they are almost invisible and from another angle they very prominent. Due to paint the edges aren't very sharp.

I'm building the Meng 1/48 scale F-35A and to my eye the kit's RAM tapes look good. No need to flatten them down.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

I've heard they are changing paint/finish recently to a normal looking paint however hadn't have a chance to see such. Last time I've seen F-35A (and F-22) was in 2019 (few were parked so I could do a full walkaround and 2 were flying, they were from demo teams though) and they definetely had metallic sheen to it.

• Like 1

The paint finish seems to be very much dependant on the light angle shining onto it.

My photos in the other thread are the latest colour scheme.

Andy

• Like 1