***Finished***The Red Baron (no not that one)

Minds been stuck on this for the last few weeks having not got round to a 106 for the century Gb and discovering I can home print the decals, only reason I’ve not entered it as couldn’t decide to go for the rather pricy trumpeter kit in my local or order the reasonably priced hasegawa online, finally made ordered the hasegawa and the paint online….20151010153606-4439226d-me.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Well there's a bright one. What's the story behind the scheme Stu?

One of the early airframes used in flight testing the reddy orange was used to help the test cameras….just realised may be a slight issue as this has different intakes to the production 106’s hopefully I can modify them….

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

One of the early airframes used in flight testing the reddy orange was used to help the test cameras….just realised may be a slight issue as this has different intakes to the production 106’s hopefully I can modify them….

Really great choice Stu! 

If I remember well you already have the correct configuration of early curved intakes and wing fences in the Hasegawa kit, as it actually depicts the early prototypes. I stand to be corrected, though 😎

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Whirly said:

Really great choice Stu! 

If I remember well you already have the correct configuration of early curved intakes and wing fences in the Hasegawa kit, as it actually depicts the early prototypes. I stand to be corrected, though 😎

Had a look and the intakes do look slightly more curved so I'll assume they are correct, no modding required and glad I didn't buy the trumpeter now. Should be an easy build though I know painting will be a chore given the its like 10 times the surface area of the x-1 and red isn't that much easier than orange....

• Like 1

It's fortuitous that Hasegawa's kit is based on an early machine and therefore ideal for this scheme :thumbsup:  I am, however, surprised the Pink Primer Mafia haven't been along to place comment on this thread yet :hmmm:

54 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

or figure out how to scratch them 

Cut slots in the wing and use brass or thin card cut to shape. Simples.

Oh, measure very carefully (three times) and take several deep breaths before you start!

• Like 1

F-106A 56-0459 is a great choice... and it is just up the road in the McChord AFB collection... (about 5 miles up Hwy 512 from Puyallup).

The plaque reads (summarized):

F-106A 56-0459 was the primary aircraft flown during the USAF's World Speed Record operation named "Project Firewall". Piloting another F-106, Capt. Joe Roberts set the record of 1595.95 mph on 15 December 1959, a record that stands today for a single engine aircraft. In the '60s and '70s the 318th FIS was the first F-106 unit to deploy to reinforce Alaskan (with the 498th FIS) and Korean airspace. In 1974 the "Green Dragons" were named as the USAF's Best Interceptor Squadron. ....

Since I had the chance to crawl around and under this very aircraft, I have a fair amount of detailed reference photos (including inside the cockpit of 0459)

I'll post a few here now, but I'll post "the big bunch" in the reference thread for this group build.

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

-

F-106-Delta-Dart-McChord-2007-09-27-2828

-

spacer.png

Actually there are so many pics, I'll just post the rest of them over in the reference thread so I don't commandeer your project thread.

How neat to be able to see up close (and even touch) the very airframe you are building. 

• Like 8

Finished one so one to another, decanted the revell aqua out their tubs into a dropper tube as they last much longer that way, also rather than fiddle with the 4 part doors in the closed position a spare bit of plasticard that has been used a paint mule before is substituted  45-FD5-F21-5-AB0-4-F89-930-F-D0-EA223004 F146-AC1-B-8-A02-4832-B2-CD-6-BC2403-F0871625155-1200-400-C-8-A61-7-CDF0665-DAB507-B88269-ED7-C-4-B52-BF9-F-3-AD425-AB14

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A bit up in the air done a load of sanding but found the orange is unusable, just too thin and isn't drying..... I have an alternative looks ok as per the photo in my OP,  which had I remembered its not a red but an orange-red I would have used it to start with, anyway I don't have enough to do the whole model annoyingly as I ordered a resupply the same brand just this morning.......but will least see how the underside looks with a few coats on.....

Underside fully sanded and painted, had just enough red to do it, got another pot on the way, hurt paying nigh on 4 quid for shipping a single pot but it’s unlikely I’ll have another bulk order until after the Gb ends so I’ll have to take it on the chin AEE770-CD-260-F-4465-8-E79-E95198035-C93

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 5:30 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Arrived...and it hasn't got wing fences, seems at some point the mould was modified as builds based of the early boxings have the fence....may well have to wait a few weeks till I can acquire a cheap oldie or figure out how to scratch them 

Yes, I noticed that when I built one a few years back and compared it to my original one. Hasegawa clearly updated the moulds.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Hope you're feeling better now Stu?

Cheers, yeah feel much better this morning, nose is running like Mo Farah and have a little cough but the flu like symptoms I had have all gone. Just a few touch ups on the underside to do today so should be decal ready, might even have a go at making the decals today.

edit: in fact will do the decals today, turns out the lettering is the same as a regular 106, just the tail number to sort out

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Happy new year folks won’t be done this year,, not touched them since yesterday afternoon as the sanding when a bit away, and then I cut the stand hole in the wrong place and had to do a load of corrective sanding, that’s done but will save the fences till the new year. 9-CAEC9-D8-5994-4029-8-B14-B4-EDBBA15-F5

• Like 4