'Falke's' chevron aircraft, 1/48 HA-1112 from the movie 'Battle of Britain' - Film star part 4

The last of my 'Battle of Britain' builds, 'Falkes' (supposedly Galland) HA-1112 with the chevron and the victory marks.  Built with both the three bladed prop for the static and taxiing scenes, and the 4 bladed prop for the flying scenes.

While it may not be historically accurate, I've always loved the look of the HA-1112 in early Luftwaffe markings, it looks so 'shark' like ...

Build log here.

image 1

P9242808

image 2

image 5

... and the 3 blade prop ...

image 5 b

Image4

image 13

image 3

image 9

image 9b

image 8 image 11 b

One of the Spanish pilots posing with 'Falkes' machine ...

image 12

Hope you like, thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  You did a great job recreating this movie aircraft.  I remember when this picture came out and saw it at the movie theater.  My modeling of WWII aircraft was dwindling with the advent of going to high school, jobs, the pathetic attempt at girls, etc.  This movie made me take my week's whole earnings and blow it on the Monogram/Revell 1/48 Spitfire and 1/48 Me 109.  I can't even remember what variant of either was purchased.  Used tube glue to put them together on the weekend, hand painted them with the closest Testor's bottle enamels I had, and then proudly hung them up on my ceiling to admire my handiwork.  Was there any detailing, no; had I even heard of filler, of course not; didn't weathering refer to the storms coming in from the Gulf of Mexico?  I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen and without a doubt more entertaining than the James Bond, John Wayne and Hammer Dracula films that came out every 6 months to a year.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful interpretation of this aircraft and bringing back some good memories.

• Like 4

Yep, Exactly what George said. I think I went to see the film around twelve times too.

No home video back then. If you were very lucky, the film would appear on the TV when it was at least three years old.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen

George i have to agree it was a great film. It still is. I think it captured the emotional aspects of this early part of the war. I watched it with my parents who had both experienced the BoB as civilians in London and later The Blitz It brought back those difficult days for them, in to sharp focus.

I also think it's a balanced film for a war film of this period. some 25 odd years after the events and a film made by the 'victors' .  The German pilots are 'humnised' as much as their RAF opponents.

The tragic aspect of the story is partly this. One set of young men pitted against another set of young men in the air, who, ideology, politics or nationality apart would have been good friends no doubt in peacetime. There is a definite shared camraderie between all pilots.  

I still have it on DVD and watch it at least twice a year!

Regards, 

4 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Hope you like, thanks for looking,

Colin

It looks fantastic Colin! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I also think it's a balanced film for a war film of this period. some 25 odd years after the events and a film made by the 'victors' .  The German pilots are 'humnised' as much as their RAF opponents.

Totally agree . One of the few Western war films which gives a fair and mostly accurate depiction of the German side, probably because Galland and others were technical advisers. The 'Jagdflieger' are depicted as the often-exuberant young men they were rather than cartoon 'Nazis'.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Totally agree . One of the few Western war films which gives a fair and mostly accurate depiction of the German side, probably because Galland and others were technical advisers. The 'Jagdflieger' are depicted as the often-exuberant young men they were rather than cartoon 'Nazis'.....

Absolutely. Did you know, and I have posted this fact in the forums before i'm sure, that Bob Stanford-Tuck and Adolf Galland became very close friends after the war. So close, that Galland made S-T his son's Godfather! Quite amazing. 

• Like 2

Another brilliant build of a "movie star" Buchon!

Isn't it funny how a stand-in aircraft can earn almost as much iconic status as the real Me-109!

My inspiration from the movie was very similar to that of @georgeusa.

I was about 9 years old when I saw the film at the cinema. with my Dad.  Loved it ever since!

• Like 2