Fokker E.III 105/15 of Ernst Udet - SabreKits 1/72

What would a collection of WWI aircraft be without the presence of the iconic Fokker Eindecker? Besides being the very first aircraft equipped with a synchronization gear which allowed a machine gun to fire through the propeller without damaging the airscrew, it caused much grief amongst the pilots of the Entente as the Eindecker outclassed Allied aircraft from its introduction in July 1915 through February 1916.

Thinking I would receive a kit with some enhanced features and extra detailing possibilities, I purchased this "limited edition" SabreKits boxing of Eduard's Fokker E.III online. Inside the box I did indeed find the single-sprue Eduard kit, but with no extra photoetch or unique decals as advertised. In fact, the kit was missing the clear windshield sprue and the German crosses were printed without any white backing, meaning that I would have to furnish a windshield and mask and paint the white squares myself. Neither task proved impossible, but with that kind of quality control, I won't ever buy a SabreKit again! Anyway, I still enjoyed the build and I am highly satisfied with how the rigging turned out. For this task, I used Uschi .001" Superfine line.. a fantastic product.

On the 18th of March 1916, Ernst Udet alone flew Fok. E.III 105/15 into a formation of 23 French bombers and achieved his first of 62 aerial kills, shooting down a French Farman F.40 and damaging one other before his machine gun jammed. For this action, he was awarded the Iron Cross First Class.

2zo0Bee.jpg

hN2nIsz.jpg

06jqr90.jpg

KRf1YWj.jpg

Af3jZV3.jpg

ueKIS0s.jpg

vEacYKX.jpg

hLiIgA4.jpg

vSJGQ8G.jpg

lS8z8PS.jpg

Edited by Pyradus
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 3:57 AM, stevehnz said:

That looks very smart. I went back to check the scale, I was thinking 1/48 but no, a real beauty in 1/72, which makes it all the more praiseworthy. 👍

Steve.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Jeddahbill said:

This is a real gem.  Excellent work in 1/72 scale and great photography.

Bill

Thanks Steve and Bill, I am glad that I can build and display these early wood and canvas aircraft in the same scale as our (sometimes gargantuan) modern marvels! 

• Like 2

Very nicely done!

Just a comment, not a criticism. Due to the rotary engine, oil would be sprayed on to the port wing and the area affected would get dirty very quickly.

My attempt at this on the old Revell kit:

Miguel

On 10/21/2022 at 11:50 PM, John Masters said:

Ah yes...the Fokker 'Scourge'...Beautifully built.  I should build another.  

19 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I agree.  The Eindecker completes a collection and this one looks great!!!! :like:

Mike

Thanks for your compliments John and Mike. 😎

18 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nicely done!

Just a comment, not a criticism. Due to the rotary engine, oil would be sprayed on to the port wing and the area affected would get dirty very quickly.

My attempt at this on the old Revell kit:

Miguel

Interesting point Miguel, I haven't seen that staining even on larger 1/32 models, it's neat that you represented it on yours. Mine has only freshly arrived at the front!

13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Nice build

but your prop swinger is on the wrong blade  :)

Ha, now that's an easy fix. I appreciate the correction!

• 3 months later...

What a beauty, I’ve always loved the Eindecker, I think it’s a great kit to build and challenging in any build format. There are some great pics of real E111’s on the papermodellers eindecker challenge site. https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/fokker-e-iii-challenge/

once again, top build and love the display stand.

• Thanks 1