New 1/72 Airfix Meteor F.8 - 74 Sqn, straight out of the box - FINISHED

Swamp Donkey

Word of warning

Part D55 (nose gear assembly) is extremely fragile

Broken on one kit (repairable) and non existent in another box. Have asked Airfix for replacement, but this part in inherently flimsy

SD

• Sad 1

Sounds about right, my experiences of their spares department have all been first rate. The urge to add one of these to the stash is rising the more I see of your excellent build, even more so as I have enough flying hours for it to be a freebie. Assuming I don't mind square holes in all of the boxes still in the stash...

James

• Like 1

Hard to fault this kit, so I won’t! A couple of pictures from some very slow progress this morning after a racey day yesterday!

I’m thinking of dressing this in the 74 Sqn markings contained in the box

52445801818_a128e85a3e_b.jpg

52444768782_69ba473559_b.jpg

SD

• Like 6

You might think that's slow progress, but I haven't even taken mine out of the boxes yet (well, not including previous plastic-fondling)

James

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

First area of challenge with the main gear. Possibly I’m being clumsy with this, but I’ve had to fettle a fair bit and use some filler, but nothing too dramatic

52446072870_ffd7ccd58f_b.jpg

SD

Odd looking design, are the landing gear 4 pieces each. Looks like to tires halves with notches in them for the mudguards. And then left/right halves for the gear as well ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Odd looking design, are the landing gear 4 pieces each. Looks like to tires halves with notches in them for the mudguards. And then left/right halves for the gear as well ? 

It’s actually quite a neat design, I just think the tyres are too thick causing a gap where the mudguards join. Will be interesting to hear what others make of the construction in due course

SD

• Like 1

Got there with the main gear, but the tyres do need thinning down to work, but think they’ll look okay with a bit more tarting up

52450621685_701bb88e3d_b.jpg

And bless Airfix spares, box arrived this morning but with a completely random part! Never mind, I’m in no great rush for the replacement 

SD

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some more of the Meteor done after a couple of weeks of inactivity. Dark Sea Grey and worms on ready for Dark Green. This will be the 74 Sqn machine OOB

52513583472_c31cfd54c2_b.jpg

52513583462_de1a21bd6b_b.jpg

The green most likely will be done tomorrow 

SD

• Like 6

Varnished and up on its legs. Despite loads of weight, it wasn’t enough! Never mind, nothing a clear piece of sprue won’t solve. Lesson learned for the next one, it’s a lovely kit

52522705770_d1f54dba8c_b.jpg

SD

• Like 4

• Swamp Donkey changed the title to New 1/72 Airfix Meteor F.8 - 74 Sqn, straight out of the box
21 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Decals going on - having a rest from the dozens of stencils. Would these Meteors have had a gloss or semi gloss finish?

52523899907_4dbe13a5a2_b.jpg

SD

They started out gloss but would weather towards matt; a semi-gloss or satin finish would not be inappropriate.

Edited by stever219
Fat fingers, pathetically poor proof reading by Blind Pugh Publishing Plc.
  • Like 2

Hi SD

Very nice work so far 👍

It is very difficult to resist buying this kit , well in fact it is rather difficult fo find it in France ..

Have fun with the rest of your build

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi SD

Very nice work so far 👍

It is very difficult to resist buying this kit , well in fact it is rather difficult fo find it in France ..

Have fun with the rest of your build

Best regards

Patrice

Merci Patrice

hope you manage to find one or two, it’s a very nice kit

SD

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Merci Patrice

hope you manage to find one or two, it’s a very nice kit

SD

I will do my best to get and build one before the end of this Gb but right now I am focusing on finishing my SH Meteor NF 11..

Patrice

• Like 1

Some progress this morning and looking smart. Taking a break from the endless stencils. Up against the clock with this one as we leave for our Christmas break first thing Wednesday morning, will try and get this finished before we go

52525780887_eac8a7f826_b.jpg

52526526019_08a3ca04bc_b.jpg

SD

• Like 6