SAAB J32B Lansen Sport, the all-weather fighter in 1/48

I should probably not start another kit, but where is the fun in abstinence?

This summer I had a visit from @Paramedic that gifted me some parts for a AJSH Viggen that I should work a little more with...that one is an even slower build than usual.

But anyway.

He also brought me a surprise gift in the form of a boxless Lansen!

A few years ago, there was a few bagged variants on sale that just contained the parts and nothing else. @Paramedic managed to get some but I didn't even try. Now he wants me to build it!

The box, if I had one would look like this

39618_rd.png

This is actually one of the Lansens flying today (hence the reason for both Tarangus and Hobbyboss to have that marking option).

It started it's life as a fighter but after being replaced by Draken in that role it soldiered on for many years as a EW platform.

Still I don't have the decals for that one, so that goes out of the window,

What I do have is this:

52432722828_cee8265f7d_o.jpg

52432656515_19de44e314_o.jpg

The kit comes with resin exhaust and ejector seats:

52431698582_a004a3b32f_o.jpg

Some references:

52431698752_59986bc83a_o.jpg

The small book (The enemy in the East) is one part out of three detailing how the Swedish Airforce operated during the Cold war. This book focus on the fighters and their use, the other ones are for Attackers and Recons respectively. 

Very interesting stuff!

Who knew that the Venoms that we used as night fighters during the 50:s were deemed very ineffective as interceptor since it couldn't engage with Il-28 due to lack of speed advantage and serious risks from it's rearward gun turret?

The Lansen in the fighter version cam about from the need of having a stop gap all weather interceptor before the arrival of more advanced system (Draken).

Compared to the A32A version it got a new much stronger engine (Avon mk47 instead of mk21) 4x30mm Aden guns, better radar and a few other tweaks here and there.

With three times the engine power compared to J33, the climbing time to 30000feet was reduced to one third. Top speed and range were not that much better than Attack Lansen though, since the aerodynamics didn't allow for more.

118 of these ones were build, and they served for a decade (basically from 1960 to 1970) before being replaced by Draken.

Well, Since I didn't have any decals for it, Moose Republic came to the rescue:

52432722858_d475a14a7f_o.jpg

There are no resin parts for this kit, but I have managed to scrounge a few metal bits instead!

52432656460_e4c79c7164_o.jpg

That should keep me busy for a while!

Or will it?

Probably not, since I've been looking a bit on all sorts of walkarounds and finds all sorts of things that needs to be enhanced in some way or another.

Let's fire up the CAD program and start designing bits!

• Like 5

Nice to see. :) Yet to dare tackling it myself yet.. And i will probably start with an A 32A..  I don´t have any J 32B though, I have some space issues, one reason you got it. ;) But I will get another one later on.. I need to leave the bottom-end of Sweden for the nice west coast again and with a larger apartment..

Yeah the J 32B  had 40% more engine power over the A 32A, about as much power without the EBK (afterburner) as the A 32A had with.. A supersonic engine ina  transsonic aircraft.. Those EW Lansens operated and did great job during the Whiskey on the Rocks incident when that "U-17" went aground close to akrlskrona too. The Soviets were not allowed to transmit to their fleet and everytime they tried, those EW-Lansens circling blocked it. :) Great job guys!

And my master-plan was to let you build first so I can see where I need to be careful.. ;)

• Like 1

Right. Let's inspect the parts a little bit closer...

The main wheels are decent, but no more than that.

52441510262_ea46552ecd_o.jpg

The nose wheel a little bit less so:

52442018526_e6502c5205_o.jpg

The shape, except for the flat spot and tire bulging is quite easy to CAD, so maybe I'll do that.

Looking from the front and rearwards one can see a few other things that could be improved.

The gun throughs are shallow and lacks guns

52442464935_5e03e1a0af_o.jpg

The lower bleed air duct is just represented by a square, so that needs to be opened up.

52442286414_a86ea4f6b6_o.jpg

Since the airbrakes are always open on the ground, those needs to be opened up as well...and there are also a couple of vents in that area too.

52442465180_988368b23a_o.jpg

Two vents on top of the fuselage needs top be opened as well

52442286164_5367f1011d_o.jpg

There is one more vent underneath the left stabilizer that shall be opened, and I think there is one on the other side as well...

Whew!

Lots of drilling a cutting needed.

• Like 4

Ouch that moulding.. Kinda feel bad now. Not high quality.. :( Atleast I know you are good! But not the most fun modelling-work one can wish for, cleaning up all those mould-lines..

I messed up my J 34´s gun ports* so don´t know how I would deal with those shallow ones here..  Would have been easier if it was an A 32A..?

(*I´ll fix that J 34 though!)

Well, I survived the cleaning up of all parting-lines on the Airfix Tiffy, so this should be manageable since it's a lot fewer parts!

A32A with it's closed gun ports are too easy...

I think that if you start to drill at the rear end perpendicular to the trough, then one should get a good wall to drill through in the next step.

At least that's what I hope will work 🥸

• Like 1

Well, it says Tarangus on the box but it is Sword plastic, just like with another favorite of mine : Classic Airframes!

And as with my previous CA builds, some addons are to be 3D printed:

The first batch should be off to the printer very soon, and I hope they'll come out all right.

52454432077_8a15187371_o.png

I focused on the small intakes, vents and scoops that are found on the rear fuselage.

The two rightmost ones are actually for the A32A and S32C versions (attack and recon) but I have one of them in the stash as well, and just maybe this could be popular enough t be turned into a small product?

We'll see.

• Like 3

Today marks the 70th anniversary of Lansen's first flight!

This will be celebrated by Swedish Air Force Historic Flight which will fly a pair of Lansen over southern Sweden and hit all it formers roosts. They're not scheduled to pass over me, but I'll keep a track on Flightradar 24 just in case.

Of not is that SWAHF will fly J32:s since they were the ones that flew for the longest time, up until 1997. Not used as fighters but general flight tests, EW and so on.

From the start it was claimed that the attack version would only serve for 7 years before being replaced, it ended up with 21 years in active service before Viggen replaced them all.

On to my little build then...

With help from @Rudolf_Filip and his 3D printer, we now have a first glimpse of how the airscoops will look in resin:

52472871426_ac8627ef27_o.jpg

The upper scoops will only be used for the A32A/S32C versions since they had a different (weaker) Avon engine.

Most scoops has been tweaked a few times until a suitable size has been found and once I was happy I started to add them to the fuselage.

52473416103_4af5ef624c_o.jpg

A few extra intakes were also opened up just to complete the look.

52473150624_dcac188ea2_o.jpg

The gun ports were inexpertly drilled out to allow a couple of brass tubes to stand in for the ADEN guns later.

52473330055_8c06db0027_o.jpg

While working with the fuselage in real life, I also started the next 3D project after the scoops. Here is a sneak peak.

52473695896_2dc8eeea4f_o.jpg

The number of ribs on the tires are wrong, the shape on the main wheel hub is also far from correct and so on, so this will need some more modelling time before it'll hit the printer.

Time to get cracking!

• Like 5

Here's a slight update on the wheels.

52475855586_983b74297f_o.jpg

The main wheel hubs are remade, and the tire pattern has been tweaked a bit.

I have a feeling that the Tarangus wheel dimensions might be a little bit off, so I'll try to use my Google-fu to track down the proper dimensions.

While waiting, here is a short clip with a J32 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4654yXp7No

• Like 6

• 8 months later...

Hello!

Just a little quickie stating that although this project is not that active, there will be some activities during the weekend!

Hopefully the 3D printed wheels will be scrutinized together with the new rear cockpit

53085949354_0a2af11d41_o.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

During the weekend I met up with @Rudolf_Filip at F10 Museum in Ängelholm.

Apparently there was a mini model contest/show there but I had only focus on my Lansen and the new 3D parts that @Rudolf_Filip had printed so I can't really say that I enjoyed the show that much.

Anyway, here is a nice tray with the first batch of the wheels and rear cockpit:
53100931835_40c5712865_o.jpg
Very nice!

Since this was the first test, we did discover a few things, mainly related to the other components in the kit. More on that later.
The main wheels are deemed acceptable as they are, so let's have a close look at them, and compare to Tarangus plastic ones

(this is the plastic one)
53100709604_7177dee3f8_o.jpg
Here is the 3D printed one.
53100709594_c666a812a4_o.jpg

Note, I didn't find a good image to use for the Good Year logo and it's probably copyrighted all over the place so the prominent text was replaced with a wheely bad pun instead.

Good Year turned into God Jul (Merry Christmas in Swedish), but since it is a wheel then Jul was transcribed to Hjul instead (wheel in Swedish, but is pronounced the same way as Jul)

Hence, the tires are named God Hjul.

A sad little dad joke, but in Swedish...

Another view of the tires:
53099958677_c85e3bf726_o.jpg

Regarding the nosewheel it turned out the that very crisp first version was too wide to fit within the mudflap of the landing gear.

A slightly more narrow version was churned out, but then the hub was also narrowed down that that will not lead to a sturdy joint.

It'll be fixed for the next version.
53100709689_45aed60530_o.jpg

The second print that we did was a little rushed since we didn't have that much time before the end of the show. It shows quite clearly that the second wheel isn't as crisp as the first one.

It took about 5 hours for the print, and then one need to add the cleaning, hardening and so on and some shortcuts were made. After arriving back home again, and shop some grey primer on all of them
53100520086_605a8a8d3a_o.jpg
Here we have the wide V1 version to the left, Tarangus in center and the almost fitting but sloppy V2 to the right.
The good thing is that it turned out as good as I hoped!

The details on V1 looks really great:
53100931820_c282554b6a_o.jpg

I wonder if it is time to turn this into a product and sell it?

There is also the last part to look into: the rear cockpit!
The reason for doing the rear one is due to the fact that the air intake forms a part of the side walls. It's quite prominent on the real thing, but completely missing in plastic.

However, the first print revealed that the bang seat didn't reach the floor any more so I had to widen that a bit.

While doing that, I also enlarged the rivets while I was at it.
Another comparison between a primed plastic tub:
53100931860_f6a4d644c4_o.jpg
The narrow V1 printed tub
53100709654_e96a3cdd8e_o.jpg
And the more forgiving V2_
53100709634_1a10d88dee_o.jpg
The interesting part in this process is the balance between realism, what is possible to print, what can be seen with a naked eye, and what can be used in an easy way!

ResKit, Aires, Eduard and all the others are doing black magic, I'm sure, but thanks to this exercise I can at least understand the trials and tribulations that they have.

Oh, there was also a wee bit of "normal" modelling done as well:

The famous ejector pin mark in the main undercarriage bay was filled:
53100931885_06d3f18c68_o.jpg
A fitting challenge to sand that smooth and even!

Yes, we've been toying with the idea to 3D scan and print the entire bay...

• Like 2