Mach 2 1/72 Boeing 727-200

VMA131Marine

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

Another Brexit collateral dammage ?

V.P.

I’m sure there would be VAT issues moving product from France to sell in the UK. I noticed Eduard will not be in attendance either.

I’m sure there would be VAT issues moving product from France to sell in the UK. I noticed Eduard will not be in attendance either.

True, according to a couple of my Scandinavian and Eastern European friends, there are a few overseas traders that won't be making the trip this year, for similar reasons I'm sure. Have to see on the day.

The United Friendship 727 looks rather tempting...

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Now released but sold out almost straight away at Hannants ,I did manage to pick one up for decal making purposes though :)

To be fair, the price is quite reasonable for a 1/72 727. You’d never get one of the mainstream manufacturers to produce such a kit for that price I don’t think. 

Well, I am still holding on to their Super Frelon and slowly gaining on the Coleoptére.

I gave away the Viscount after realizing the wig profile would require the plane to fly inverted in order to direct lift up!

I bet you are going to be able to make a Tu-154 or a Trident from this and nobody would be the wiser.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

Thanks for the sprue shots .....doesn't look too bad so far

tbh IMHO, that looks like the blank catastrophe and is exactly what i expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Difficult to tell but people sure love to slam or amaze themselves based on first photos (RoG 1/32 Hurricane).

One sure thing, the styrene used and the mould surface aspect seem identical to Mach 2 previous efforts.

I thought about selling my 2 Authentic Airliners 727-200 kits but will probably keep them a little longer.

But still, I saw mentions of a GBP80 pricetag, not overly expensive for suce a large kit.

• Like 1

My dad bought this kit at Telford and I’ve had a good look over it and it certainly is a very good starting point. Mould quality is good and there’s very little flash - panel lines are nicely done and fairly consistent too. 

The windows, as usual, are all over the place but I’ll be using some Authentic Airliners’ decals when it comes to mine. 

Cockpit transparency is ok - very similar to the Heller 707 set up - as with Mach 2’s other kits it’s not the clearest but I think, with the flat panels, it’ll respond well to some gentle sanding and a polish. It’s certainly a lot better in shape and clarity than the DC-8, however. 

I can’t comment on overall accuracy as I don’t know enough about the 727 and neither does that that kind of thing bother me - I’ll leave that to those more knowledgeable than I… you certainly won’t mistake it for anything else and it’s very “727 shaped” to my eye!

• Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, fightersweep said:

Never built a Mach 2 kit before. Anyone built the Viscount as that's one I keep thinking about picking up? Wonder if they'd consider a Herald too.

I built the Viscount a few years ago, It went together OK, you just need to spend a bit more time cleaning up parts and dry fitting.

52525925028_03a0ea5e0d_b.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NorbertBu said:

Hi Jan,

where exactly are the mistakes or flaws in the KMC kit?

cheers,

Norbert

Here are some reviews when the kit came out back in the late 90s...

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

For me the nose is one of the big issue, I am thinking about using a Heller 707 nose/cockpit to replace it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NorbertBu said:

That sounds like an interesting plan!

Well the nose is the biggest problem and using the 707 nose  from Heller is a start but the windows on that one aren’t correctly positioned either!

It’s a pig of a kit to correct and I must confess that the Mach 2 kit looks fine shapewise!

Seen one build in the Netherlands at the Mach 2 stand and it looked very nice 😃

Not perfect but better then the KMC one, so I would choose the Mach 2 one!
Choose wisely 🙃

cheers, Jan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, 26Decals said:

Now released but sold out almost straight away at Hannants ,I did manage to pick one up for decal making purposes though :)

Dang it...... I missed it! I was watching for it, but apparently not closely enough.  I've got a pair of their DC-8 kits, and while I've not started one yet, they do look totally buildable. From the reviews that I've read there's some tweaks to look out for, but nothing major.  I'm looking forward to it, and already have some decals on the way for the 727. Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

• 4 months later...

I have one, but it's not started yet.

I later spoke to Peter Mahoney at Hawkeye Models, because he does some very nice Australian schemes for the 727-200. He said that the fuselage is short, both ahead of and behind the wing, but at that stage he hadn't worked out how much. Whether he revises his decals to fit the fuselage as is, or issues them at the correct length with instructions on reworking the fuselage, I don't know yet. Peter is still teasing that out. I suspect, knowing who he's working with on the task, it will probably be the latter.

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

I have one, but it's not started yet.

I later spoke to Peter Mahoney at Hawkeye Models, because he does some very nice Australian schemes for the 727-200. He said that the fuselage is short, both ahead of and behind the wing, but at that stage he hadn't worked out how much. Whether he revises his decals to fit the fuselage as is, or issues them at the correct length with instructions on reworking the fuselage, I don't know yet. Peter is still teasing that out. I suspect, knowing who he's working with on the task, it will probably be the latter.

How much is it short? The 727-100 is 6.1 m (84 mm in 1/72) shorter than the -200.

The -100 is nominally 40.5 m (562 mm in 1/72) long, which would make the -200 646 mm long in 1/72.

If the length is somewhere between the two versions it would probably be easier to shorten to -100 length. But then you could use the removed bits to lengthen a second kit to -200 length.