Tamiya 1/12 scale Ducati Panigale 1199 Martini

A return to plastic for me...following a recent multimedia MFH 1/12 Ferrari F2007, I wanted some degree of ease in my build so figured I wanted a brief interlude back to plastic. I also wanted to have a break from a long, drawn out car build so opted for this beast, out of my stash. Obviously, everyone loves a Martini scheme...If you don't, you're wrong...simples...

this will be built alongside a little 1/43 scale white metal Ferrari in the natural breaks, so I will attmept to update them both regularly...

spacer.png  spacer.png

So, needed some raw materials... Hiroboy to the rescue, Tamiya kit, Detail up fork set, some paint and to chuck over that, some decals...hope I can do this justice...

spacer.png 

spacer.png  spacer.png

Building starts tomorrow...with the engine...

Edited by Peter Milgate
typos
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some time to throw some glue and paint at plastic....

Build starts with engine block so no issues there....

Instructions asks for some odd colour mixing, so I did that, can't really tell if they are much different from a standard titanium gold but hey ho!! It is a nice shade.

They also ask for a metallic grey mix for exhaust cans, I did those in the wrong sequence and put down the dark grey mix using acrylic paints before spraying the TS30 Silver Leaf. No reaction so I did get away with that error. 

spacer.png  spacer.png 

Once initial assembly is done, it looks quite busy. This still has detail bits to be picked out and will have a wash over it to highlight it. The alternate metal shades do look smart together. 

spacer.png  spacer.png 

I have assembled and sprayed some extra bits, swinging arm, top chassis etc to get them in paint together. Build wise, it was radiator next and I had seen a photoetch set which had radiator upgrades so figured I'd stick some mesh on mine.

I think it might have been a Top Studio set I drooled over, but my intention was to be pretty much straight out the box for this build...

spacer.png  

The Martini scheme appears to have gold wheels, but I couldn't see a colour code (admittedly, it was a Peter look) so I went with Vallejo Rich Gold (793) laid down over gloss black.

These will have valves and wheel nut etc picked out later...my clean up could have been better...

spacer.png

So currently, I have a small pile of mainly black bits to put together....but it will start to flow together quite quickly now, fingers crossed...

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress, added a black wash to the metal work: Once that was done, I began to add chassis?, radiators and associated pipe work...

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

Next step was to start by drilling out the brake discs, unfortunately, I went a bit too large with the drill bit leaving not much meat on the outside but it doesn't look too bad. Fronts and rears were drilled, then floating pins added from Tamiya Detail up set.

This results in some nice looking brake discs. Tedious to drill, but worth the effort. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

Swinging arm and mudguard/chain guards next. (Stage 5) These are down as just a black mix but I thought a nice carbon set would look nice so they were given some ScaleMotorsport carbon love...These small parts were fiddly to do but look smart. A nice little detail that will go unnoticed by most viewers...

spacer.png  spacer.png

Stage 6 is the brake and gear levers/foot peg sets...these will be washed after I have attached them to the chassis. Gold anodized shock part is from the Tamiya Front Fork detail up set. 

spacer.png  

So worked continued and we have now accelerated to Stage 12(ish) I assembled the Front fork set, this went together very easily, no issues at all. Looks beautiful. Not sure it is 20 or 30 pounds more beautiful than having to spray the kit parts but they are nice. 

Photos below show current stage of the build. Brake and clutch reservoirs are to be finished and top of forks aren't yet fitted. Brake discs will have a wash and calipers are to be put on. It's a lovely, easy build so far and I am about to start on fairings and the Martini scheme. Handle bars are part done and there are a few decals for forks etc to be fitted. The more I look, the more subtle detail remains to be done, dry brush of rear wheel nut, stuff like that, wheels need to be finished properly (valves etc) but they were just grabbed and put on to hold bike and forks in place. Hate the little screw heads though...

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks like a mean bike now though...

• Like 4

Next up on the bench is the 'side pods'?? Happened to make the mistake of looking at some upgrade kits and noticed much more wiring and bits in these parts so thought I would put a little bit more in, to make them a bit busier, Used some Top Studio 1/12 electical connections from my detail drawer. Not accurate but improves the overall 'feel' of the model. 

spacer.png     spacer.png                     

While doing the sidepods, I figured I should look at the real bike, having not reviewed any referance material at all. This was meant to be out of the box effectively, but felt it just needed a bit of wiring over the bike so I added a sensor on the brake pedal and some hydraulic piping to top of rear suspension parts. These are notable on the real machines. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

Next is jump to Step 16 and fititng of rear light and seat hump subframe....annoyingly, the exhaust cover should be carbon but I did not realise this until after I had fixed it on...bugger...would have really looked good in carbon...

While tinkering on details that needed completing, washes, dry brushing etc, I thought I would get the bodywork primed and given first coat of Zero Paint White. Foolishly primed in Tamiya Light Grey (from a rattle can ('cos I had them) and the White has struggled to cover this. Many, many coats of white have gone down so far...bored with White now...

spacer.png

While the body work dries off and hardens prior to masking for Light Blue paint, I have pushed on with some  more bits, handlebars painted and dashboard completed. Top of handlebars detail set fitted and further plumbing added. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

Headlights added.

spacer.png   spacer.png

Side pods given light dry brush to try to highlight the wires and then screwed on with obviously true to life cross head screws...

These screw heads will be painted semi gloss black before the end to see if they blend in a bit more...

spacer.png   spacer.png

Thats the progress so far...back to the spray booth...

• Like 5

So, some time well spent in the spray booth, primer and white were laid down earlier and then the fun began. Cut masks using Tamiya tape (de-tacked) using the decals as a guide. I drew the shapes on tracing paper and tansfered that to masking tape. First time I've done this but really pleased with the finished result. Still learning techniques!!! So working from light to dark, Light Blue was sprayed from Zero Paints set. Went down well (as per normal) 

Light blue was allowed to go off for a few hours before I moved onto the Dark Blue using same masking technique. The Dark Blue seemed to be a much thicker paint. I always stir really well but it is just so thick...not sure if mine has missed the thinner part of manufacture process. It sprayed okay with no additional thinner but it's definately not right. Worked out okay though.

spacer.png       spacer.png       spacer.png

Moved onto to decals, and here I discovered a line on the front fairing, which I thought demarked the light blue, should be start of red line. This left some issues with no room to fit in narrow hitw stripe with paint. I fixed this by using spare fairing decals and cuting the red with white outside stripe on it and placing these over the original red stripe. (You get two ways of doing the colour scheme by eithe spraying it all light blue and using white decals or spraying three colours as I chose) My fix has worked out really well and saved me a lot of extra work masking and respraying the fairing. Sponsor decals on next...and just looks smart so had to take some in progress pics...

spacer.png     spacer.png

Once all decalled up, time for some 2K (Zero Paints 2k Diamond Finish) I used my 0.8 airbrush for this as I have found this is better for me. I tend to make larger scale kits and have struggled to get enough 2k down with a 0.3 or 0.5 needle airbrush. Not sure if I am getting more used to it or whether it is a equipment thing...but my results now are much, much better. To say I am pleased with the finish on this is an understatement. 2k left to hardened for a day or so, in the meantime I will do a few more detail bits on main bike. Paint them bloody screws, highlight a few nut details, mirrors and stuff...end in sight...

spacer.png    spacer.png    spacer.png

The mudguard caused me all sorts of pain. My masking for the stripes was so wonky, it made my head spin. I tried to recover this by cheating with Hobby Design decals, but unlike the fairing, the blue on the decals was a different shade to the Zero Paints set. Once the decals were on, I hand painted them with the Zero Paints Light Blue using the decals as a guide. Once 2k'd, it seems to have come together well and at least the colours match!!!

spacer.png    spacer.png    spacer.png

Just clock watching now, waiting for 2k to set up so I can handle the parts and assemble fairing, rear seat and tank etc...Looking good though...  

• Like 3

The End, the Final play, all done, finito...well, almost. Final assembly in pictures...and lots of them. Sorry...😁

So I have added a few finer details, putting on mudguard I added some PE bolt heads. The original Tamiya screw heads have been given a coat of X32 or semi gloss black according to their placement to attempt to blend them in to the chassis. 

The seat was sprayed in Zero Paint Textured Charcoal, which is my preferred shade for F1 seats so figured it would look good on this. First pics are following fitment of tank and front fairing and seat hump. Naked view of bike before the sides are put on.  Before rear mudguard and rear view mirrors. Footpegs fitted, painted and given a wash. 

Side fairings in place and fitting of Hobby Design Fairing Fasteners. These are such a small detail put have made a big difference in the overall look of the fairing. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

Below are some close ups to show the fairing fasteners...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

Final shot in this series highlights my poor front mudgaurd striping...It looks worse in these close ups, at normal viewing distances it is un-noticeable. Frustrating though...

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

Comparison shot of the decal guide with finished article...

spacer.png   spacer.png

And in it's final resting spot...Martini colours never disappoint...old alongside the new...

So, Tamiya 1/12 sclae Ducati Panigale 1199s, with Tamiya Front Fork detail set and Hobby design Martini Decals and Fairing Fasteners. 

Painted with Tamiay Light Grey primer. Zero Paints Martini Paint set and coated in Zero Paints 2k Diamond Finish Lacquer. 

Engine colours mixed as per instructions. 

Various details added from spares including electrical connectors, wiring and PE bolt heads. 

Decals laid down with Ultimate Model Products decal softeners where needed and a bit of heat...

spacer.png

An easy build, which falls together with no effort producing a highly detailed model straight out the box. The minimal additions have all enhanced the model in my opinion. The masking went much easier than I expected and produced a nice result. The decals are flawless, only let down by my own incompetence. 

The only flaw is the front mudguard, which if I built another I would pay more attention to and mask more accurately and spray on. I would also carbon the under seat exhaust shield. 

I prefered the look of the bike without rear view mirrors as that looked muych more aggresive, I guess a more GP bike look to it...

• Like 7