BBR 1/43 Ferrari F399

Taking a break from big scale stuff so had a quick look through the stash and stumbled upon this, Original idea was to do some plastic (I've just finished a MFH 1/12 Ferrari) so wanted a change...so will do two kits together this little metal kit (never made one of these before!!) and a Tamiya Ducati Panigale Martine (because I can't resist a Martini colour scheme)

This was purchased off Fleabay on a whim. Paid very little money for it but it looks like a detailed little thing...so, on with the build...

spacer.png

As you can see, some holes were already drilled, but it wasn't until later I would realise they were a bit big...

spacer.png  spacer.png

A bit of CA glue was used to build up a few sub-asembles...front wing, main chasis and rear wing. This was all done very quickly in an afternoon/evening session. 

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png  

Must be overdue a hiccup surely....Oh yes, the carpet monster claimed a wing mirror...bugger...so small I nearly cried, a quick search on bench (as I heard it ricochet off a jar, but to no avail) so I thought I would try and knock one up from scrap plastic...I tried and it seems okay to me...

Parts prepared, polished and ready for a blast of Acid Etch primer. I used Upol No 8 for this, which I had discovered during my MFH build. Worked fine there for metal so figured if it ain't broke...I have ordered some Zero paints pink undercoat, so will lay that down via airbrush as a base for the red, which I have Pre-2004 Rosso Ferrari Formula 1, also Zero paint. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png  spacer.png

This will have a few days to hardened before I start base colours, pink, red then some masking for semi gloss black ready for carbon fibre areas. I'm hoping this will be doable as built up parts, figured it would be better than trying to build front and rear wings from the bits once painted...time will tell. 🤞

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 09:03, klubman01 said:

Looking good.  Always nice to see some more 1/43 on this site.

Trevor

Bizarrely, I have a resin 1/43 Jaguar XJR - 12 kit to build. That will sit in front of my 1/12 Model Factory Hiro XJR 12 once I get around to them...🤞👍😁

Edited by Peter Milgate

And on we go...needed a bit of red paint on it because its a Ferrari of course. Usual Zero paints used (Pre 2004 Ferrari F1 Rosso). First a coat of pink primer, again Zero Paints...

Airbrushed on it light coats. I'm really getting to like using an airbrush. 

spacer.png  spacer.png

It seemed like a good idea at the time to fit the mirrors, honest, I thought they would be okay, I can be delicate when handling stuff....so wrong, I must have replaced these pesky things about eight times, never lost 'em though....

Coat of black for the wheels, because I thought they were black, then realised they were a lighter silver/titanium so I had to just overspray the black with a metallic paint (Silver titanium I think)

spacer.png  spacer.png

Then it was time for a few decals...and a few more, then a few more...this stage seemed never ending...

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

Tyre decals were put on as well as BBS decals, Tyre sidewalls were given a brush of semigloss varnish to lose and hide any silvering. Seat was sprayed in textured charcoal paint and seat belts fitted. My kit appeared to have phtoetch belts as well as 'plastic?' webbing. I used the plastic but in hindsight, I think the photoetch may be easier to work with. Plastic type was reluctant to glue and lay down, but they are so small I think they look okay in the end. 

Rear wing would be easier to decal as parts and then assemble, but you live and learn...I would normally, in larger builds keep the wings and end plates seperate so why I altered this I don't know. Probably ease of painting...

So, time to throw some 2K over the ol' girl...Zero paints Diamond Finish 2K. Several mist coats to ensure there is no pronblem with old decals and then some heavier wet coats...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png   spacer.png

All that remained was to fit suspension, drive shafts, seat, wheel hubs and wheels...so sit down, bit of a story here....

First, all you folks building these 1/43 F1 cars, you have my utter admiration for the patience you must have fitting the suspension. I could have easily thrown this car out the window on twenty occasions. Bloody nightmare, constantly scratching 2K and paint, adjusting different arms and trying to find holes with pegs...using tweezers to get it into position and then once all set and in place, remembering to use glue next time....Arrghh!! I did persevere and got the suspension and steering arms on eventually. 

Next was the wheel hubs, which had nice carbon discs, brake calipers and when offered up, the calipers did not fit inside the wheels, so off they come, removing paint in the process....

Then I wanted to fit the pedals, these needed to go into the tub but I decided they wouldn't be seen in the darkness so in the bin they went...The floor screwed on easily once hole was drilled appropriately, wheels went on after hubs and discs...FIN...

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

The car is unpolished, as I have never done that, so finish could probably be improved but I like it and that is what matters, built for me, not rivet counters...

spacer.png    spacer.png

The car alsongside a 1/12 F2007, gives an impression of how small this project has been. 

This has been a really fun and infuriating build. Quick and easy and the amount of detail they fit into these 1/43 kits is impressive. 

I was annoyed as on the rear wing end plate decals, one side is car 3, the other side car 4, with no additional numbers, so I had to cut off one number and that side has no number on it. Annoyed!!!

The fit of brake calipers could have been done better, (by me) due to my impatience, but they are no great loss not being present. The 2K could have been a bit heavier, but it is okay. 

Instructions were very basic, and my kit, which was secondhand, seemed to have extra wing parts in it. I had no instructions and emailed Barbara at BBR, and she very quickly emailed back a PDF instruction sheet so great support from BBR.

If I built another, I would leave front and rear wing parts seperate until painted, decaled and clear coated. 

Overall, very pleased, it's a smart little model and for what I paid, I'm mightily impressed. 

Plans are to concentrate on Paniagale, then knock out a Ford Mustang for a family member (he owns one so I'm effectively building his car!!) and then probably another 1/12 F1...

Thanks folks. 

Folks. 

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 3

A very good result,I think the wings are the worst part,they should be treated separately in my opinion.You’ve been quite quick to build this,my broken one’s still sitting there,as the wings have fallen apart,it’s a bit depressing so I do something else……Chris.

• Like 1

Looks really good!  As you say, it is remarkable how much detail can be incorporated in a 1/43 kit.  Not built a single seater yet, so you have my admiration for the complex wings, etc. on F1 cars.

Trevor

• Like 2