J.A.S.D.F F-15J 303rd TFS 60th Anniversary. GWH 1/72

This is my latest finished project, this time completely out of the box, (except for the decals). The GWH kit is very nice, with good surface detail and an overall good fit. The only part of the assembly that required extra care was the engine's intake fuselage area, with some quirky steps, but in the end, it works OK. 

The big letdown, however, was the awful instructions. I'm not sure if I had an early copy but they were terrible, with unclear drawings not showing enough details, wrong callout etc. There were even 3 correction pages but with mistakes! I ended up downloading from scalemates the instruction of their 1/48th scale which were much more precise.

I guess the challenge here was the decals. This is my first digital camo and it was all done through decals. At one point I thought to better paint everything but in the end, the DXM/Cartograf decals were of such good quality that it turned out pretty OK. It was however a long tedious process...First I painted the base two-tone camo, then I added the digital pattern and I finished by adding all the stencils...Based on the very few images I found online and on how new the camo is, I decided to do a very mild weathering, mostly with some airbrush overspray and a little OPR.

All comments are welcome!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers

Jorge

Edited by jarkmodels
text image editing
  • Like 54
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, glyn said:

Like that so much i have just ordered the decals myself.

Did the digital phantom so i know what to expect.

Glyn

Oh 🙂, that's great news, I'm glad you like it, glyn. Yeah I know, DXM decals are great, I have a couple more sets and I'll be ordering more for sure.

Thanks to all for commenting!

cheers

Absolutely stunning.     👍   👍   👍

I'm glad to hear that the DXM decals worked out well, as I have their 4th Fighter Wing’s 75th Anniversary Scheme for my 1:72 F-15E.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

Perfect F-15 👍 . I especially like the weathering of the fuel tank, really superb.

Yeah, thanks a lot, David. I actually enjoyed doing that weathering the most! I left the rest of the aircraft more clean since this camo is quite recent, otherwise I would've go further!

28 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

Stunning work and photography! I need to get one of the GWH Eagles myself.

Thank you very much!....Yes go get one, they are great overall, BUT as I mentioned prepare yourself to have "fun" with the terrible instructions! 😉