TACR1, or two?

bootneck

After many weeks of researching the Land Rover TACR1 fire truck, I feel able to attempt a part scratchbuild of one, or two.  Over that time I have received lots of helpful advice and contributions from fellow BMrs, to whom I am very grateful.   I must admit that I would not be able to attempt this without such help and I shall acknowledge their input within the relevant stages of my build.

The donor kit will be an Italeri [6508] Land Rover series III

spacer.png

Starting off with basic chassis from the kit.  No changes need to be made at this stage.

spacer.png

I would like make two TACR1s,  one in Royal Naval livery and the other in Royal Air Force colours. 

Herewith the two kits in progress, note the different chassis rear ends, I think the lower vehicle had late series IIa chassis, similar to the one on the right in this view.

spacer.png

The chassis front for both should be the same

spacer.png

To make the TACR1 coachwork, I first need to cut back the kits rear side panels.  Only the front 6mm will be used as part of the cab rear.

spacer.png

The doors were tacked into place with GS-Hypo gel, in order to line up the cutdown rear panel sections.

spacer.png

This conversion make take a fair bit of time, mainly as I am still trying to get the design right for the upper sections of the cab. 

I am attempting to draw that complex shape in CAD, with the intention of making 3D prints. Whether I will be successful :shrug: only time will tell! 

spacer.png

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 6

Hello Pete,

I certainly would, please.  It might to prevent me throwing things across the room in frustration. 

I am fine with straights and minor curves, such as this little beauty,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

but complex curves are really baffling me; especially those that have different filters on each corner etc.  I am using Fusion360 and have bought this book and watch all the tutorials but I could do with some 1-1 advice on certain parts.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I must apologise for the long delay with any progress, I had decided to build up the pickup style cab first; however, I just couldn't get the shape right.

Here we have the current situation, with the doors dry fitted.

spacer.png

Fortunately, Pete @PeteH1969 came to the rescue as he produces such items.

spacer.png

Thanks to Pete and his 3D printed products, I am now able to get on with building the cab.  

spacer.png

More later.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 6

I have reached another query point.  Some TACR1 Land Rovers have what looks like a vent, on the left front panel, whilst others like this one did not.  In order for me to build the correct version, can anyone please advise me when/why these vents were fitted?  Also, can anyone please point me to any green/yellow RAF TACR1 images?  Apart from one in a museum, I am having difficulty identifying colours and marking for the green/yellow RAF version.

cheers
Mike

• Like 1

Mike

That is a standard vent that as far as I know is for the heater blower not fitted to all land rovers as not all had the same heater and changed with what ever the base model the vehicle was converted from, there are no rules when it comes to the amount of mods that have been done to land rovers.

I hope this helps?

Pete

Thanks Pete, 

I want to do the green/yellow version as this type on the right, but not necessarily that actual vehicle:

spacer.png

It has subtle differences on the chassis rear section, such as an angled cross frame, step and lighting; however, I don't know what the rest of that TACR1 looks like.  I think I can just make out the vent on this one but not  sure so I don't know whether to add the heater vent or leave it off.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Mike

I would say the vehicle on the left has the rear chassis bar replaced at some stage before conversion (most probably due to rot) as the vehicle on the right has the standard/factory Land Rover rear bar, that is just a supposition but likely for the difference no other reason.

Pete

Go buy the Reg plate 25 AG 03

spacer.png p3020229t.jpg p3020232t.jpg

This link will help http://vehicles.firemuseum.uk/project/tacr1/

Edited by PeteH1969

Hello all,

This will be the Royal Air Force version and I have managed to make up the pickup style cab for it, thanks again to @PeteH1969 for producing this item :worthy:,  I just need to construct some glazing for the curved rear windows and that part will be done.

spacer.png

The bodywork for the rear section has been started and has been test fitted to the chassis.  It seems OK so I shall continue to build up the other parts for it.

Note the body and cab for the Royal Navy version in the top left corner of this photo.

spacer.png

The bonnet for the Royal Navy version was black; however, I am not so sure on the Royal Air Force version.  Can anyone confirm whether it was black or green?

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

• Like 6

This looks interesting & some proper scratch building to boot. How are you finding the Italeri kit?

I have limited experience of the Royal Navy version when it was the fire engine in HMS Mercury. On the bonnet there was stowed a smoke mask, which was a BA face mask attached to about 50 feet of hose that you sucked fresh air through. This was provided your mate didn’t get bored & start messing on.