RAF Typhoons air to air

canberraman

As a sequel to the F-35 Lightnings air to air feature, I bring you a selection of shots of RAF Typhoons captured doing AAR on the same sortie taken from Voyager KC.3 c/s 'Tartan 59' on October 7th 2022. Sadly most of the 9 aircraft photographed are without unit markings, but I hope the 1(F)  and IX(B) Sqn jets add a little colour to this report.  All shots were taken in either AARAs  4, 6 and 7 over the North Sea off England and Scotland. 

img

img

img

52429538203_7b0930c3fc_h.jpg

4 x photos of ZK333 of II(AC) Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth seen before, during and after refueling over AARA 4 near the Aberdeen coast.

img

A couple of views of Tranche 1 Typhoon FGR.4 ZJ939/WS-U named FS George Thomson VC and assigned to IX)B) Sqn, the Typhoon aggressor unit at RAF Lossiemouth.

img

img

Although wearing 1(F) sqn markings, ZK320 was on loan to IX(B) sqn.

52429305299_e28364ba14_h.jpg

FGR.4s ZK336 and ZK376 both assigned to 6 Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth also photographed in AARA 4.

img

As we tracked back south towards AARA 6 we were met by this three-ship of FGR.4s from 3(F) Sqn at RAF Coningsby (ZJ949, ZK377 and ZK431).

img

img

Hope these photos are of interest. Thanks for looking, c&c always welcome.

Mark

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

7 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow! Another superb set, Mark!

Thanks very much for sharing. 

Many thanks Leigh!  Glad you liked 'em.

Hope all's well. 

Mark

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Beautiful shots of the Typhoon formations Mark. Would be interested to know what camera and settings you used.  Thanks for posting.🙂

Colin

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the kind comments.

To answer your questions I used two camera set ups for this photo shoot. An EOS 7D with a 70-200 EF 1:2.8 IS USM lens, and an EOS 7D Mk 2 with a  24-70 EF 1:2.8 Mk 2 USM lens attached. The shots on the EOS 7D were mostly taken at F/13, 1/320. ISO 250. For the 7D Mk 2 they were F/7.1 1/800, ISO 200 +0.3 steps.  The formation shots also benefited from a little light and colour adjustment using Photoshop Elements 2021. 

Kind regards

Mark

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Fabulous shots, thanks for posting. Much better looking than those other beasties!

SD

I tend to agree SD, although the F35 is growing on me a little!  :)

Thanks for the kind comments

Mark

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Those are superb Mark. You have to feel for those young(ish) guys & guyesses who fly those aircraft though, a crap job but someone has to do it I guess. ;) :D

Steve.

Many thanks Steve!  To fly a fast jet, and get paid for the privilege, what's not to like? :)

Cheers

Mark

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Evalman said:

What a great opportunity and a bonus to see a couple with Squadron markings. 

Pete

Agree completely about the sqn markings.  I think most IX(B) jets carry markings, as do some on 29, but elsewhere it's more likely that you'll see bland grey anonymous aircraft. I hope this is a cyclical thing, and one day unit esprit de corps will resurface and historical sqn markings will return. However I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks for the kind comments Pete.

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Great photos Mark. The first three-ship one is superb

Andy 

Thanks Andy.  Glad you like the photos, I'm quite proud of that stacked 3-ship.

Mark

17 hours ago, Latinbear said:

A brilliant set of shots! Looks like you made the most of a terrific opportunity. Thanks very much for sharing these Mark. 

Thanks for the kind comments Latinbear!  I certainly enjoyed and made the most of this rare opportunity.

Mark

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnT said:

Every photo  a super source for modellers but better still what works of the photographer's art.  My personal favourites are the formation pictures third last and last

Cheers John. glad you approve and think the shots will be useful. I too am quite pleased with the 3 ship formations.

Mark