Meteor F4.....

mackem01

Good evening Folks, a little late to the party but here none-the-less. When this GB was first touted I knew I had to join in.

I thought about my Sword NF14 and my Classic Airframes T7 but decided on a little bit of this:

20221015_145749

And a little bit of this:

20221015_145731

would make for something a little out of the ordinary in 48th. Work has started today with the mundane stuff like readying

the new wings and painting of the smaller kit parts. So just going to leave this here until I have something a little more

interesting to show. 

Good luck and happy new GB to you all.

• Like 7

Evening my fellow plastic manglers! Another little update for you all. As you can see the fuselage has been joined to facilitate work on the wing.

Instructions say how to trim the fuselage but when I did, I found there were large gaps that needed some plastic card to be inserted as a back for

filler which I think may be needed.

20221019_074344

The wings have also been cleaned up and are ready for the nacelles. Tamiya provide quite a hefty weight which is now fixed in place. There are

also some extra Lead strips in the upper fuselage behind the cockpit - and I'm still not sure if that's enough.

20221019_074658

Forward facing view of the cockpit showing the use of Henry Ford's rule "any colour you want as long as it's black". There's only a few bits

to it but it's a reasonable representataion so I'll stick with it.

20221019_074520

I used the decal that came with the kit for the seat belts and now I'm not so sure - think I'll be revisiting that one! So far I'm more than

happy with how its going. Next time she may even have wings.

20221019_074414

Finally - what do you recommend for an enamel that's a reasonable match for High Speed Silver? I would like this to look 'right' when

it's finished so any suggestions are most welcome.

Hope what you see meets with your approval, so until next time...

• Like 5

Nice progress, it's definitely looking good so far. Totally understand your thoughts on the belt decal, probably OK for the time, not so much now

James

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Finally - what do you recommend for an enamel that's a reasonable match for High Speed Silver?

Personally I like Tamiya Chrome silver with a bit of Tamiya neutral gray about 10:1 or dare I say it Lidl silver rattlecans but I’m not sure if either are  100% accurate.

86AB68E6-4679-4FE7-BADC-28AB08C55002.jpg

Tamiya chrome silver mix.

A87F23B1-8459-469D-A396-9A133564D49B.jpgRattlecan silver with a little gunmetal pigment rubbed on to take down the shine.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

WOAH! Despite rumours, I'm still around and beavering away.Not much to report as when I've been at the bench it's mostly been filling

and sanding - it doesn't half sap the enthusiasm though. Despite that I seem to be over the worst of it and I have a couple of pics of my

progress:

20221112_135400

I had most trouble where the resin wing joins the fuselage. Underneath, the fuselage to wing joint took a bit of sorting but it seems OK

now. It's a really heavy piece and despite my best efforts I'm sure it's going to be a tail-sitter.

20221112_135345

The fuselage to wing root join was just as bad but it's sorted now. Starting to look like a Meteor now. I've started on all the bits and

pieces that will soon be needed.

20221126_174654

Nacelles and rear canopy are on now and she does look impressive if I do say so myself. Got a free day tomorrow so I may get some

more bench time in now that I've left the filler behind!

See you later...

• Like 10

6 hours ago, mackem01 said:

It's a really heavy piece and despite my best efforts I'm sure it's going to be a tail-sitter.

Ive been told a piece of square balsa stock cut into a triangle then glued to both sides of the main tires look like chocks. The flatness supposedly works to keep it nose down. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After a busy period up to Christmas and a sudden illness in the PC, I can at last post an update. I have to say the extension of the GB was a

godsend. So, just before Christmas when work stopped pending the arrival of Santa this is where I was:

20230102_164404

A little progress but still quite tatty. Then the arrival of Santa and one of his pressies allowed work to recommence resulting in

this:

20230103_194800

20230103_194848

She has since been matted down and given a wash (which for the life of me I still can't seem to get right!). Tonight I have begun

to add all the smaller items and I think we are now back on track. Will try to post another update tomorrow if I get time.

Cheers...and a happy new year to you all.

• Like 5