Heller Austin Mini 1/43

IMG-20221016-140820569.jpg

I wanted to build something simple so I thought I'd give this a go. First time I build a kit in this scale and I have to say it is a nice little kit but as with all other kits I have built there are some problems. Unfortunately my kit had a warped body and chassis/floor, don't know if this is a common problem or if I was just unlucky.

First thing I did was assemble the 3 parts that make up the body. I wanted to see if this would sort out the warped main part of the body but it did not. I put the body in a 85C bath a couple of times and eventually I managed to get an acceptable result. Another problem I had was a gap between the body and bottom of the windshield which I fixed by gluing a plastic rod along the lower window frame. Now I just need to fix the radius in the corners as can be seen below.

spacer.png

Some more bits ready for paint. I am surprised they bothered with an engine since it won't be visible. There was a sink mark in the middle of the steering wheel that was fixed with some putty.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally I test fitted some pieces. I needed to do some sanding and cutting to make the interior fit properly inside the body.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next update I hope to have painted everything shown above. I have not quite decided on the body colors yet but I found the photo below (I am not sure if it is the same Austin Mini Special as this kit) and I like the yellow/brown color combo. I might go with blue/black.

spacer.png

• Like 10

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Shame about the warped body, but you've done a good job of getting it straight. 

I've got an AIrfix boxing of this kit and hope the body is better!

Keith

I wish I had taken a photo of it before I corrected it it was extreme. I think I will buy another kit eventually it is so cheap I am curious to see if I have better luck next time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Time for a long overdue update.

I have painted the interior and chassis not much to see really just all black.

spacer.png

The plan was to paint the body yellow like in the photo in an earlier post but I had mixed way too much orange airbrush paint for another kit I am working on so instead of letting it go to waste I used it on the Mini as well. The body is wet sanded in the photo below unfortunately I sanded through the paint on a couple of places.

spacer.png

Wheels are done and so are most of the chrome parts. The grille is unfortunately attached to the body I am not looking forward to painting it chrome.

spacer.png

I dry fitted the chassis/interior to the body and it looks like this kit will be fighting me to the end.

• Like 7