Fireflash trials NF.11

zebra

My build for the STGB will be the Fireflash trials NF.11 in 1/72 using the Red Roo conversion. Here's what you get in the box:

Fireflash Meteor

The plastic is Special Hobby (I think) and looks very nice. There are various resin bits including a new nose and the Fireflash missiles and launch rails, pre-cut masks, a hypodermic needle (not sure what that's for but I'll soon find out I suppose), a comprehensive and detailed set of instructions, and a nice looking decal sheet with options for several aircraft - going to have to use one of the sharkmouths for this build.

Need to get my Canadian builds finished before I can get cracking with this, but it won't be a long wait.

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

It's been a month since I last posted, but I got cracking on the Meteor a couple of weeks ago and have forgotten to post (or take) photos. Fuselage is together and the replacement nose is on - the nose went on ok and was pretty easy to blend in - only problem is it's not aligned properly, the details that should be on the top are in about the 1 o'clock position! I'm going to sand them off and replace them - shouldn't be too hard. Meanwhile the wings are together as well, currently sitting on the bench with a load of clamps attached.

Fireflash Meteor

more soon

Julian

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When I did the RAAF version I didn't know about the extended wingtips ? 

Not so much extended as reprofiled I think - looks like the span is about the same as the original but the profile is different. 

Today I've blended in the wingtips and drilled a hole in the middle of each one so I can use a bit of brass rod to secure the launch rails - these will be built up separately, together with the missiles, to be added at the end of the build. Also got the canopy and a few other bits (including the camera pod on the leading edge of the starboard wing) on and it's ready for painting.

Fireflash Meteor

cheers

Julian

• Like 7

I'm now half expecting the next picture to show it sporting a brightly coloured wig, outlandish clothes, some very big shoes, and a flower in it's lapel that squirts you with water

James

• Haha 4

On 12/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When I did the RAAF version I didn't know about the extended wingtips ? 

AFAIK the RAAF only flew T. Mk. 7s and F. Mk. 8s in front-line service which had the short span (37-odd ft) wings introduced on the F. Mk. 4.  The standard night fighters had the original 43-odd ft span of the prototypes and F. Mk. 1/3, but trials Meteors tended to have mod8fied wingtips to cater for their particular activities.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this one, just got distracted by other things. Decals are finished (as far as they're going to be - I had a problem with the wing walkways, and then found my stock of black stripe decals was past its best, the upshot of which is that there aren't any walkways on the model), undercarriage is on and I'm assembling the Fireflashes which is a pretty fiddly job to say the least. Getting the Fireflashes assembled and painted is the last significant job, pretty confident I can get it done by the GB deadline.

Fireflash Meteor

cheers

Julian

• Like 6