Airfix 1/72 Lightning Fmk6 Gun Pack

billyharry2000

2 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

Hi There

Wonder if someone could please help is there a aftermarket replacement for part No,s E10,E11 the gunpack out of the Airfix Lightning Fmk6.The reason I ask is I have lost my kit parts have been moving my model room to loft .. Kind Regards Craig

Hi Craig, the kit has parts for the non-gunpack belly tank D9/D10 so you could build one of them if you've lost the gunpack parts? There are makings for this option in both boxings of the kit. If you're stuck on the gunpack version someone might be able to offer the parts you need if they've built the non gunpack option. I don't know of any aftermarket option for this for the Airfix kit (no need, the kit provides the parts).

2 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

Hi There

Wonder if someone could please help is there a aftermarket replacement for part No,s E10,E11 the gunpack out of the Airfix Lightning Fmk6.The reason I ask is I have lost my kit parts have been moving my model room to loft .. Kind Regards Craig

The F6 did not have a gunpack, the only aircraft marks that had gunpacks were the F1, F2, F2A.

The F6 had two guns mounted in the front portion of the ventral fuel tank.It was not a separate gun pack.

Selwyn

If you don't have the other two parts D8 and D10 or really need the gun parts then buy another F6 kit. You can build one with the guns and one without. If you have suitable markings then you could build the second one as an F2A, all the parts are in the F6 kit.

Stuart

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

The F6 did not have a gunpack, the only aircraft marks that had gunpacks were the F1, F2, F2A.

The F6 had two guns mounted in the front portion of the ventral fuel tank.It was not a separate gun pack.

Selwyn

d36Fcp3.png

Looks like an official document calling it a gun pack to me....

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Craig, the kit has parts for the non-gunpack belly tank D9/D10 so you could build one of them if you've lost the gunpack parts? There are makings for this option in both boxings of the kit. If you're stuck on the gunpack version someone might be able to offer the parts you need if they've built the non gunpack option. I don't know of any aftermarket option for this for the Airfix kit (no need, the kit provides the parts).

The fuel only front ventral tank was a different shape to the gun tank.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, stever219 said:

@billyharry2000 the forward tank section/gun pack was interchangeable so it would be entirely possible to see the same jet wearing the same markings but with or without the gun pack at different times, dependent on operational requirements.

The only F6 to carry a permanently was the sole F6 operated by LTF, All the remaining Binbrook had gun tanks.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:24 AM, tweeky said:

Craig, LTF's mk 6 was usually coded DF

Indeed - there are at least a couple of nice shots of XR725, which wore that code for some of its service, on Flickr here and here.

Edited by Andrew
included serial