Cats, they're taking over. Part 4

keefr22

Not so long ago, Mrs Hnz put new curtains in our lounge. I wasn't convinced it was a good idea but since when has that been taken into consideration. It took Jonesy, the youngest & most lunatic of our two Burmese, very little time to figure they were easier to climb than the previous ones, so up he goes, paw over paw till he gets to the curtain rail from where he gets a back paw onto that & boostes himself onto the window sill, I'm guessing the view from up there is not bad. It is close to 9' up to there. Getting down involves getting front paws onto curtain rail, swinging himself around & then backing down till he feels low enough to jump. I'm picking there are more new curtains in our not distant future, maybe Kevlar ones this time. :)

IMG20240416113013

Steve.

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

But no doubt it won't be long before someone wonders why her lovely new curtains are shredded!

That is happening already, just in front of their purchase becoming my idea. :( :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/17/2024 at 5:47 AM, stevehnz said:

Not so long ago, Mrs Hnz put new curtains in our lounge. I wasn't convinced it was a good idea but since when has that been taken into consideration. It took Jonesy, the youngest & most lunatic of our two Burmese, very little time to figure they were easier to climb than the previous ones, so up he goes, paw over paw till he gets to the curtain rail from where he gets a back paw onto that & boostes himself onto the window sill, I'm guessing the view from up there is not bad. It is close to 9' up to there. Getting down involves getting front paws onto curtain rail, swinging himself around & then backing down till he feels low enough to jump. I'm picking there are more new curtains in our not distant future, maybe Kevlar ones this time. :)

IMG20240416113013

Steve.

I may consider moving that vase and perhaps also the TV, unless of course Jonesy enjoys the sweet smell of roses while watching his favourite program.

I saw something interesting yesterday. The cat hid the little kittens in the woodshed. And she went somewhere on her cat business. At this time, the fox came and smelled the smell of kittens. See for yourself what happened next.

• Like 15

They are not running away from a cat, but from an angry mother protecting her children. It could have been another beast. The maternal instinct is very strong.

During this period, the fox also has small foxes, and she would do the same with children near her burrow.

• Like 7

Naturally all mother animals will be relentless in protecting their young.

.. a farm type place I did various jobs for years ago had chickens, lots of them, free ranging everywhere, and if any of the dogs for instance happened to pass too close to a hen with chicks, the hen would kind of  inflate itself to virtually double it's size and do a very fierce looking, hissing "display" routine, which invariably sent the intruder packing 😁

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Billy54 said:

I may consider moving that vase and perhaps also the TV, unless of course Jonesy enjoys the sweet smell of roses while watching his favourite program.

He has navigated around all that quite well so far. 🤞

3 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

For such bravery, I gave the cat a double portion of meat and milk. 🙂

& well deserved Dimitry, you've a very brave & determined Mumma cat there. Well done her. :)

Steve.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is happening already, just in front of their purchase becoming my idea. :( :D

Steve.

Now why does that not surprise me?!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

The sight that greeted me when I came up the garden path 

IMG_20240418_143634_edit_895673039445

It's been a hard day's night,

and I'm sleeping like a cat. . .

• Haha 13

On 4/19/2024 at 2:34 AM, Dmitriy1967 said:

They are not running away from a cat, but from an angry mother protecting her children.

G'day, I have a similar story - When I was young (I sound like Eric Burdon) we had a cat that had kittens in the laundry. A feral cat (we lived in the country) came for the kittens one night. It left very shortly after, at extreme speed, with the mother cat in hot pursuit.

Yeah, the maternal instinct can be very strong and is not one to ignore.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Rats were supposed to be fairly intelligent I seem to recall, though I've never had any dealings with one ! 

Pigs too are meant to be very smart, those I have had some slight experience of, and I have to honestly say, as much as I found them quite likeable characters, they never struck me as having much "intelligence",... suppose it depends how you analyse or measure it? 

38 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Rats were supposed to be fairly intelligent I seem to recall, though I've never had any dealings with one ! 

She might have a few more brain cells if she were a rat, she's a hamster

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Shades of Fawlty Towers, Basiil... ! 😁

The angle of the photo makes her look much Bigger than a hamster, is my excuse.... 

I had a hamster when I was a kid. It got loose once, and my sister's cat was the first one to find it.

You can imagine the rest of that story!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oops... 

I had a hamster too, but fortunately he didn't overlap with any of the cats, or dogs. 

This one also escaped for a while and was ultimately discovered inside the back of the sofa.. This was in the late 60s so the sofa had a fairly robust wooden frame covered in foam and assorted stuff, the old man had to pull all the back of it off to extract the little fella, he seemed none the worse for a few days on the run though, and had gnawed up some of the sofas innards to make a very comfy looking hideout. 😁

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:
19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Shades of Fawlty Towers, Basiil... ! 😁

The angle of the photo makes her look much Bigger than a hamster, is my excuse.... 

A Siberian hamster then? 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...