ICM 1/48th Beaufort Mk.I

Latest addition to my WWII twin collection is ICM's new Beaufort.

Built straight from the box except for some Eduard seatbelts and Kits World 3D instrument panels etc. Everything goes together perfectly but getting the glazing to line up is a little tricky although it does fit properly in the end without any trimming etc. I did find the forward fuselage bowed outward very slightly so i held it in place very  loosely with some clamps while the glazing dried. The cockpit area is OK but could do with some more detail as the glazing is very unforgiving and very clear. The turret is nice but I decided not to follow the instructions for this as they show you to fit it complete then add the rear fuselage shroud. I decided to fit the main turret seating etc then fit the shroud and get it cleaned up then add the turret in 2 halves. It seemed to work OK for me.

The undercarrige is very nice too but  a little fiddly to hold in position while other parts of it dried. The wheel wells however are very basic. 

Engines are good and come complete with dozens of individual exhaust pipes, however you wont see the rear ones anyway.

The kit comes complete with a torpedo and carrying trolley which incidentally is also available separately. 

5 markings options are provided. 4 in green/brown and the one I chose in dark grey and dark slate grey. Decals are fine but I think the red is a little bright?

Anyway, I look forward to building another one when someone does some resin detail parts. Thanks for looking.

52429371703_72cb9e35a8_b.jpgBEAU 1

52429371603_dfe72c77fa_b.jpgBEAU 2 

52429134449_788753386f_b.jpgBEAU 3 

52429371453_642ca65b31_b.jpgBEAU 4 

52429134329_519882d61d_b.jpgBEAU 5 

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Hi,

in my book, the best looking RAF twin of WW2.

It is not your fantastic model that is going to make me change my mind.

This Beaufort is just full of superlatives.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Beautiful build and finish. You mentioned the landing gear--is it sufficiently strong for the kit? 

Thank you for your comment. Yes I think it should be OK but I would recommend adding some kind of axle between the legs as its a small attachment lug to the wheel hub.  See step 43 on the attached instructions. Its the tail wheel thats quite weak although mine hasn't broken yet...

52429049442_0d8f163606_b.jpg20221015_183003

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely job, beauforts in TSS always looks great but you've achieved a really nice finish. What paints did you use out of interest?

Andy

Thank you. Paints are Xtracolor for top surfaces with an irregular overspray of AK real colors and Tamiya matt black for underneath. Semi matt varnish overall is Alclad II. Engine fronts are my own mix of various AK extreme metals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keith,

Lovely build and finish - this kit is right at the top of my list when it eventually makes it to these shores. Cracking work,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Nice to see an ICM Beaufort already built up. Looks like a beauty and you’ve done a great all round job getting there so quickly. One question if I may, do the forward (small) torpedo doors hinge out or in (as per how Airfix suggest)? I’m just asking to clarify the differences I see between these two kits. 

51206325189_aed58a474a_b.jpg

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice to see an ICM Beaufort already built up. Looks like a beauty and you’ve done a great all round job getting there so quickly. One question if I may, do the forward (small) torpedo doors hinge out or in (as per how Airfix suggest)? I’m just asking to clarify the differences I see between these two kits. 

51206325189_aed58a474a_b.jpg

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Oh my goodness, what a mistake to make! And I’ve built 2 Airfix ones too. Thank you for pointing it out. Now corrected.

And it’s not as though I’ve got no references either….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Lovely model Keith. It looks fantastic!  I'm intrigued by your rendition of the cammo scheme on this one.

Any chance of some pics in daylight ? 

Kind Regards, Andy

Hi Andy,

I just followed the instructions as best I could as the colours seem to blend into one another on the plan. I did notice it was a different pattern to the green/brown ones tho’.
Will take one later when the suns out.

52 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Oh my goodness, what a mistake to make! And I’ve built 2 Airfix ones too. Thank you for pointing it out. Now corrected.

And it’s not as though I’ve got no references either….

All good Keith, I was honestly asking a question rather than pointing out a problem as such. Glad you’ve been able to correct it and confirm my initial thoughts about these doors. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Hi Andy,

I just followed the instructions as best I could as the colours seem to blend into one another on the plan. I did notice it was a different pattern to the green/brown ones tho’.
Will take one later when the suns out.

Thanks Keith. I kind of got the idea that the cammo pattern for these does blend in as you say. I think your effect looks superb, just wanted to see it in daylight so i can appreciate the subtle effect you've achieved. I have the Airfix 1:72 kit and i'd like to emulate what you did.  Thank you for showing this. Cheers! Andy