Ryan STM -2, Netherlands East India 1942, Special Hobby 1/72

JWM

Hi,

following the construction of Ryan PT 22A (which was recently on RFI)  I have used the injected parts found in the box of Special Hobby kit of PT 22 to construct the Ryan STM model. I have used the decals by Flevo Decals (FD72-023) which went very nicely (softed then with Microsol).

52428218642_d193a150c7_o.jpg

The applied green from top should be the "Jong Blad" - I followed the advise of the Netherlands IPMS to use Humbrol 149. Rigging by EZ. The windscreens, as different from that in PT-22 are made out of scratch.

Here is the result:

52429239858_9bd1c4ff0f_b.jpg

52429239888_e2556ab64b_b.jpg

52428218492_0f32c45043_b.jpg

52428218527_62b5db0d04_b.jpg

52429239938_1c861c4ca6_b.jpg

52428218587_232713f2d7_b.jpg

52429240033_2da2cb4531_b.jpg

Comments welcome, 

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

# 23/2022

• Like 34

Hi Jerzy,

It's always nice to see airplane models that in fact you don't have a chance see regularly . And really thanks for that ,Netherlands aircrafts models   in west indies are pretty rare, and when you speak of training ones....

So thanks again ! and keep doing this !!

best regards  !! 

• Thanks 1

Hi again Jerzy,

once more you have produced an original model hardly anybody is likely to have in their collection.

That in itself makes it special. And your work is smashing.

JR

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, François Escudé said:

Hi Jerzy,

It's always nice to see airplane models that in fact you don't have a chance see regularly . And really thanks for that ,Netherlands aircrafts models   in west indies are pretty rare, and when you speak of training ones....

So thanks again ! and keep doing this !!

best regards  !! 

Mnay thanks!  I am going to build two next machines from NEI - Dornier Do 24 and CW 20. They wait in stash. I have already on shelves CW 21 and B10... I have build Fokker CX from mainland before I have found the scheme from NEI.

17 hours ago, jean said:

Hi again Jerzy,

once more you have produced an original model hardly anybody is likely to have in their collection.

That in itself makes it special. And your work is smashing.

JR

Hi Jean (again :) ) 

Many thanks! Simply it is my life time project, for which I decided some 30 years ago. Namely it is to do all WW2 types (excluding the prototypes which did not left the producer) plus machine from "preludia" to WW2 (the other wars in range 1935-40 like Spanish CW, Abyssinia-Italy or China-Japan), so I simply have to do all those rarities. even if I like to do next Hurricane!  ;) 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Did this "Jong Blad" colour always appear alone on NEI planes or was it usually combined in some two-color pattern? I must say that this shade of green is very interesting - it reminds me more of a military uniform than an aircraft hue.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 11:35, JWM said:

Hi,

following the construction of Ryan PT 22A (which was recently on RFI)  I have used the injected parts found in the box of Special Hobby kit of PT 22 to construct the Ryan STM model. I have used the decals by Flevo Decals (FD72-023) which went very nicely (softed then with Microsol).

52428218642_d193a150c7_o.jpg

The applied green from top should be the "Jong Blad" - I followed the advise of the Netherlands IPMS to use Humbrol 149. Rigging by EZ. The windscreens, as different from that in PT-22 are made out of scratch.

Here is the result:

52429239858_9bd1c4ff0f_b.jpg

52429239888_e2556ab64b_b.jpg

52428218492_0f32c45043_b.jpg

52428218527_62b5db0d04_b.jpg

52429239938_1c861c4ca6_b.jpg

52428218587_232713f2d7_b.jpg

52429240033_2da2cb4531_b.jpg

Comments welcome, 

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

# 23/2022

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Did this "Jong Blad" colour always appear alone on NEI planes or was it usually combined in some two-color pattern?

Trainers were more likely to have a single top colour. 
From 1938 or so, the two-tone Jongblad/Oudblad scheme was introduced first on the Martin 139 WH series, and for the fighters (H-75, Brewster 339C/D & CW21/22)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, russ c said:

Great STM there Jerzy, one subject I need to add to my CBI theme. really nice work

Hi Russ,

Not that familiar with the forum, but trying to improve my knowledge .. I discover that there is a CBI theme existing ! it's really one of my  favorite Theater of operations . Is it on this forum ? or elsewhere ? just very curious about it . 

cheers 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:59 PM, KRK4m said:

Did this "Jong Blad" colour always appear alone on NEI planes or was it usually combined in some two-color pattern? I must say that this shade of green is very interesting - it reminds me more of a military uniform than an aircraft hue.

Cheers

Michael

Thnks, the interpretation of "Jong Blad" as Humbrol 149 is given in description of decals and example here https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/en/aircraft/aircraft-r/584-ryan-stm-2-en-stm-2s-uk?start=5

On contrary, the color for Ryan can be said to be olive green, Humbrol 158 http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/colours-of-the-dutch-air-force-part-2/#MLD 1940-1945 

Here it is said, https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/warbirdsforum/dutch-east-indies-camo-t565.html that NEI olivegreen has no brown hue at all, but in this text no discussion of Jong Blad . BTW - the Google translator says, that it mean "young leaf", not "jungle lead" as I was trying to guess.... So it must be a fresh, intense green color. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:40 PM, alt-92 said:

Trainers were more likely to have a single top colour. 
From 1938 or so, the two-tone Jongblad/Oudblad scheme was introduced first on the Martin 139 WH series, and for the fighters (H-75, Brewster 339C/D & CW21/22)

Thank you for this comment. So it looks that it should be the more intense green from two green scheme of NEI machines.

21 hours ago, russ c said:

Great STM there Jerzy, one subject I need to add to my CBI theme. really nice work

Many thanks!  You will go with 1/48, I think?

Regards

J-W

Hi

Many pages about ALL military aircraft types used by Netherlands / Dutch military air arms, including the Dutch East Indies (NEI) are published on the IPMS Nederland / IPMS.NL  website. 

With the forementioned Wilko Jonker, I have set up over 1,000 info pages that we have also published on the IPMS Nederland website since 2004. Since Wilko passed away, I am honoured to still continue with this work on the IPMS.NL website with regular updates. 

Over 225 aircraft types are grouped per manufacturer name. Kit lists are provided, schemes and colour info per scheme. Including paint brands!

The info is also presented with each Dutch air arm indicated by a Category. E.g. NEI is category 5 and current KLu Air Force category 3.

Texts are in Dutch but with Google Translate are easy to translate as you wish. 

The main NedMil page on the IPMS.NL website is here: https://ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart

spacer.png

Meindert (also active for the IPMS.NL)

Edited by meindert
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, meindert said:

Hi

Many pages about ALL military aircraft types used by Netherlands / Dutch military air arms, including the Dutch East Indies (NEI) are published on the IPMS Nederland / IPMS.NL  website. 

With the forementioned Wilko Jonker, I have set up over 1,000 info pages that we have also published on the IPMS Nederland website since 2004. Since Wilko passed away, I am honoured to still continue with this work on the IPMS.NL website with regular updates. 

Over 225 aircraft types are grouped per manufacturer name. Kit lists are provided, schemes and colour info per scheme. Including paint brands!

The info is also presented with each Dutch air arm indicated by a Category. E.g. NEI is category 5 and current KLu Air Force category 3.

Texts are in Dutch but with Google Translate are easy to translate as you wish. 

The main NedMil page on the IPMS.NL website is here: https://ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart

spacer.png

Meindert (also active for the IPMS.NL)

Hi,

Many thanks for this info, As you might seen it on first my post I have found your great page on Ryan. For sure the whole set  will be a great help for my future works on remaining Dutch machines, I am still going to do Dornier Do 24, Fokker T-VIII, both variants of Fokker G-1, Fokker T-V.... :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek