Uncle Frank's scary Night fighter - Finished!

Geo1966

Have been plodding on with this, but failing to update the WIP, soz.

So, firstly I was not too happy about making these cuts on the upper wing as there is no guide on the plastic. Thought I would cut them a bit smaller and then sand it back more if required. Anyway, it turns out there is quite a bit of leeway which doesn’t show from above, so happy days.

S39AZHe.jpg

Gzjjv5w.jpg

Had to do some major sanding on the engines for the wings to fit together-ish (maybe a bit more still needed). Not sure if this is my fault, but I did read a build review where the guy had the same problem. Forewarned and still had the same problem……………🙄

kPZ07EA.jpg

The further I go with this kit I am realising the “locator pin guy” must have been on holiday. None around the wheel wheels, so you have to sort of guess then move the walls about while trying the bottom wing section several times to get them lined up.

npTUAB2.jpg

Hopefully get the wings together tomorrow. Might need to get hold of some industrial clamps, bricks and gaffer tape first. Wish me luck 🙂

George

• Like 7

Wings together. As there are only 2 tiny locating pins on each side it was a bit of a struggle to keep things lined up. I wouldn't be surprised if the glue melted the locator pins to be honest.

y2rY4fE.jpg

uXenQ7i.jpg

I reread the build review and the guy said if he built this again, he would leave out the main engine parts, so just add the front (step 21/22 below). I have to agree with him as you won’t be able to see anything inside the back of the engines and it will make the wings easier to fit.

EFMuQb7.jpg

George

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Well done getting that together

I must admit I am a bit disappointed with this kit. Maybe it is my inexperience, but I thought a relatively modern kit would fit together well with minimal filler and sanding, unfortunately that has not been the case.

I did have the SH Vampire on my Wishlist, but now thinking I will look elsewhere.

George

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, franky boy said:

It’s just a bit limited run. The surface and other details are really nice. Just put it down for a couple of days if it gets too much. 

I'd say that's a common misconception about SH kits, these are not short run kits, they're meant to be long run kits the same as any of the major manufacturers however, because SH started as a short run enterprise, its just that their design process is still getting there (they improve immensely with each new kit).

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 9:05 AM, franky boy said:

The surface and other details are really nice.

The problem is Franky, i am having to sand most of the detail off 🙄

George

More filling and sanding as i slowly progress. At least it is starting to look like a Meteor.

okurCWw.jpg

Gaps on every joint. The underbelly fuel tank is not even close..................

088nTiA.jpg

Not looking forward to priming this, as it is going to show up all my shoddy filling work 😱

George

• Like 6

Ready for the paint shop. Tried a new product (to me) Modellers World Degreaser. You just paint it on to clean the surfaces. It is one of those things, where you don't know if its made any difference, but maybe wished you had used if you have problems (think that makes sense).

lB4dSnE.jpg

George

• Like 5

A coat of Tamiya XF-66 Light grey. On initial inspection it seems my filling and sanding has worked quite well, with only a couple of areas needing attention.

BnauO25.jpg

One problem area is around the cockpit. Any ideas how i can fill this please?

Was thinking i could try mixing a drop of black paint with PPP, but not sure if that will work?

aaHn8ME.jpg

George

• Like 8

Hi George, nice work so far. I usually use Vallejo filler which comes in a small tube, I must have used mine up and chucked the tube out otherwise i would have sent a pic, or fine Milliput. You can dampen both with water and smooth into the join with fingertip/Q-tip.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SH/MPM/Azur etc. kits, nicely detailed but can be 'testing'!  Except, I have done two of their newish P-40 kits and they clicked together as good as Tamiya, strange?

Davey.

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I usually use Vallejo filler

Thanks Davey. Yes i have that and PPP.

What i was concerned about was that it might show up as a white strip when looking through the cockpit, hence my idea to add black paint. Maybe i am worrying too much?

George 

10 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

On initial inspection it seems my filling and sanding has worked quite well, with only a couple of areas needing attention.

Looks good to me. Mine is at the same stage except it has no panel lines and is awaiting a rescribe, as the good people at matchbox saw fit to go for raised panel lines :) 

Edited by Marklo

Managed to get a coat of AK 3rd generation RAF medium sea grey on over the weekend. Seen a lot of people slagging this paint down, but i found with a good dose of VMS airbrush thinner it sprayed pretty well. It is slightly patchy in places as that is the look is was going for......................honest.

kzMzo1t.jpg

Next, on to the dreaded masking for the dark green 😱

George

• Like 8

Looking good there, George. I don't mind the AK 3rd gen paints, but I find the Tamiya & Mr Hobby paints easier to work with simply because they're easier to get exact quantities of with a pipette when thinning to airbrush. The paint itself sprays nicely when thinned though.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten about this, just been a bit sidetracked as I am now in the Armoured Car/Halftrack GB as well.

Anyway, I marked up the camo pattern with a watercolour pencil.

Ui9rwOE.jpg

Then used White Tac and masking tape.

6uwYebu.jpg

A coat of Vallejo Dark Green.

glV9cvI.jpg

Once removed I have realised, I should have taken a bit more time with the masking. There is a bit of “creep” under some of the lines. Maybe I should have pressed the white tac down more? Its the first time i have masked Camo, so i am still learning. Anyway, I am ok with it and will tidy it up with a brush.

Feel like I am starting to get somewhere now.

George

Edited by Geo1966
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

A long overdue update. I have been working on this in the background, but have been sidetracked by the Armoured car GB where I am building a 1/35 Bronco Staghound.

Have tidied up the camo lines and added the red tail highlight. I used some 40+ year old Tamiya flat red which brushed on surprisingly well, however it took me about 10 goes of red then grey touch ups to get it right-ish.

HpFpriH.jpg

ctTNXQw.jpg

CgkqtWT.jpg

Have also given it a coat of VMS satin varnish, so ready for some stickers. I have a couple of weeks off work now, so hopefully the next update will be a bit quicker.

George

• Like 10