Hawker Tempest Mk.V series 2; Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED

Ngantek

Thanks very much for the pointers Chris. I remember getting a bottle of the good 'ol Klear for (seeming) pennies when I abortively tried to get back into the hobby back in 2005 or so, but that was lost along with the stash in the intervening years.

These days I've found some (rather more overpriced) halloway house quick shine floor polish, which seems to behave much the same way, as does alclad aqua gloss. The issue I've had with it (besides not quite having got the hang of it yet) is that it tends to feel a tad gummy to me and doesn't sand that well as a result. But my testing has been limited, and actually I have a hobbyboss 'easy assembly' hellcat lined up specifically to have a go at brush painting and probably will use klear on. 

The plan really for the long term is to get a bit better at brush painting and do brush/airbrush models in parallel, since I've found with limited time, the impediment of getting all the airbrush stuff ready leads to bottlenecks around paint and varnish stages. But so many new techniques, products, kit manufacturers, subjects I want to try out and so little time!

Andy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, the poor tempest has been waiting patiently for me to show interest and finally got a little bit of progress. A couple of applications of a rather lazy oil panel-ish-wash, a scrub back and then a coat of satin to seal it all in. This is my first go with VMS's HD varnish, and comes out pretty nicely I think, and with minimal effort. I'm trying @Mike's advice and added a thicker layer around the roundels, so might hit that back again to try and alleviate the carrier film bumps. Here was it post wash (note the colour matching on the roundel repair was way off, but I thought I'd see how it looked after evening it out with varnish, and then some sanding, before I tried further remdial action):

20221120_213705

And here's after the VMS:

20221120_223645

That poor 1/144 FW190D-9 has been sitting on my desk, trying to raise enough attention to get an oil wash, and fortunately I noticed it when I was doing the Tempest (about 6th time lucky!), so it's had some satin as well. Some other various landing gear and whatnot has also had a quick look, so I guess, since I'm not going to weather this one, that we're not a million miles away. I'll have a look at the decals when it's dried and decide whether hitting it sanding paper is worth the effort. That it, man.

Andy.

• Like 13

On 21/11/2022 at 01:24, Dunny said:

Looking good Andy - be good to see this one over the line!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. Yeah I want to open some new shiny stuff!

Just now, AliGauld said:

Looking really nice.

Not far to go now.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair. The satin went a bit far for me to be honest, but I'm not over fussed with this one as evidenced by the final product!

It's about done, or at least as far as I my interest will take it. Just light pass with some satin is needed when I next have it out to hide a few dodgy bits.

20221123_224754 20221123_225321

Lovely kit actually. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, great work Andy, the Tempest looks fantastic.   What a cracker.

Chris

You're very kind Chris. I definitely can see a lot of things I should do to it, but want to push on, and I'd never intended to really spend much time getting this one 'just right'. Thanks for the help throughout! I'm glad I did have a hack at post shading in the end. It's clearly too piecemeal and stands out, but the bits that I did do at least gave me a lot of ideas and experience on how to do it properly next time.

Andy

1 minute ago, Mattlow said:

Very, very nice.

The Airfix kit looks good. And I see you appear to have all the u/c parts present and correct (not mangled or short shot like previous poster asked about)...

Cheers!

Matt

Thanks very much, Matt. Thanks for reminding me: @Steve Coombs not much help to you, but since you asked, my undercarriage was fine, and actually went together really well. The only issue was the locating stub for innermost main undercarriage doors (triangular wheel covers) was clearly too large for the the hole and needed trimming down.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks real good Andy, be a shame to spoil it by making it too realistic. ;) :D  That's about where I'd be stopping too. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yeah with my butterfingers, any further work, particularly post aerials, wheels and canopy, is a very low probability endeavour! Sticking all that on was a bit of a subconscious burning ships moment I suspect. 

7 hours ago, mark.au said:

Nice result, Andy.  It’s hard to conjure up an interest level that would/could improve on what you’ve got there.

Hehe yeah it stands out a bit, but I'm happy enough with it and in any case it's not a real scheme with any historical interest, being a mishmash of what I liked the look of and what is in the box. Massive thanks for all your help with various techniques and gently prodding me to have a go with the shading on this one. I really learned a lot, so from being in a place with this model of having absolutely no idea what to do, it's given me a lot of direction on what kinds of things work and what doesn't so much. In this case the little bits of shading are a bit glaring and make the un- and under- shaded bits more noticeable, but I certainly am in a much better place than I would've been if I hadn't tried. 

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great, despite all your troubles on the way!

Regards,

Adrian

21 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Echoing what has been said.

A cracker.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks guys. It's been a fun one, it's very enjoyable just bosching together a nice easy kit without getting too bothered about the final result! I feel I somehow need to make some horrific 1960 limited run white metal monstrosity in penance. 

2 minutes ago, TempestV said:

That does look lovely, I can see one of these on my future!

Thanks. There are a few little tweaks here and there but overall I've been really impressed with this kit. The design and fit, particularly around the wing roots and potentially awful Tempest landing gear was really pleasing. 

Andy

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Doing my end of year tidying, this one, as shown above, got done a while ago, but I was waiting to have some satin varnish out to hide some of the scratching around I was doing during final assembly. Here's the RFI:

Cracking little kit, really enjoyed this one and on a personal level, a lot of the things I'd been fighting on earlier builds like the Seafire, started to come good.

Cheers for looking in all, and for the many kind comments along the way.

Andy

• Like 2

• Ngantek changed the title to Hawker Tempest Mk.V series 2; Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED