Revell 1/48 Republic F-84E Thunderjet

Hello all,

I finished this in mid-summer and my understanding is that it's about to be published in this month's SAM. It's Revell's 1/48 F-84E, a kit that was never released in the UK and I had to source from the US in 2003. It's a very good kit for the time with decent detail and fit; this is built from the box with only seat belts added. The finish is kitchen foil (aside from some extremities and canopy, which are paint), the chequers are all masked and painted, and the few large decals are by Aeromaster. The stencils are from the kit and were disappointing due to the carrier film.

Foil is a nightmare. This is the third aircraft I've tried it on, and I keep saying, 'never again'. I wish I kept to that :)

Comments are welcome and there are tons more photos at https://jonbryon.com/revell-1-48-republic-f-84e-thunderjet/

Thanks for looking

Jon

F84E_28.jpg

F84E_01.jpg

F84E_07.jpg

F84E_08.jpg

F84E_09.jpg

F84E_11.jpg

F84E_13.jpg

F84E_17.jpg

F84E_33.jpg

F84E_32.jpg

F84E_36.jpg

F84E_37.jpg

F84E_40.jpg

F84E_44.jpg

• Like 53
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That is a fantastic example of modelling. The foiling is absolutely spot on - is there a WiP somewhere and how do do you apply the foil?

Will

Thanks Will. The WIP will be in SAM, although I don't know how much they've included. Foil is applied with Microscale Foil adhesive.

Cheers

Jon

Stunning work Jon!

I’m not surprised it nearly drove you mad with all that masking, never mind the foil. I never new the Thunderjet appeared with a frameless canopy. 

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Stunning work Jon!

I’m not surprised it nearly drove you mad with all that masking, never mind the foil. I never new the Thunderjet appeared with a frameless canopy. 

James

Thanks James. The F-84B/C/D/E all had frameless canopies, although they were retrofitted quite quickly to the E.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Lovely work! IIRC it was released in the UK under the Pro-Modeler sub brand though. Randomly one of those local sell em cheap and pile em high shops near me had a stack of them along with (randomly) the Pro Modeler TA154 

TT

Sadly the E model was never boxed by Pro-Modeler or released in this country. The G model was in a Pro-Modeler box and released widely.

Thanks for the comments :)

Jon

On 10/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, Autle said:

That's one amazing model especially the painting, really vivid colours and subtle weathering. Well done 

I have to agree!

• Like 1