F4F-3 Wildcat 1:48 - Battle of Midway

Mike

I've been building this one since I finished the review you can find here, and used some of the many aftermarket sets that we got at the same time to bump up the detail a little.  Painted with Gunze Sangyo Aqueous paints, and using the kit decals with their peel-off carrier film, which I'm sold on.  From memory, here's a list of the AM I ended up using:

648777 Cockpit Set

648768 Wheels Late

648779 Bronze Gear Legs

648766 Exhausts & Gun Barrels

I used a very time-consuming painting method that I'm sure has been tried by lots of other folks before, but it needs quite a bit of patience in un-gumming the airbrush in between sessions, painting each panel and in-between the rivet lines separately with a slightly lightened shade of the base coat.  Takes some time and gives you a neck ache, and although it works on these dirty, faded subjects, would probably be useless on a clean aircraft TBH.  You can see the work in progress in the WIP area :)

Here's a bunch of pics I took:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spot the two little holes!

I had a lot of fun, and the detail is phenomenal OOB, and even better with the extras I used.  I can't wait to see what's next from Eduard :wub:

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

Lovely result. Thanks for the WIP too; as someone who's started dabbling in highlighting and 'panel modulation' it's been really useful to see the before and afters. It's worked out beautifully on this one.

Andy

• Thanks 1

There are times when you see a model and you don't see anything and yet you see everything at the same time, without fanfare or exaggeration.  Everything is finely done and is in balance with the rest.

And when only a couple of seconds is enough for you to perceive it, then I know that I am facing a job well done.

Congratulations !!!

Andrés.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one.  Good to see you add modelling to your other hobby of herding cats (including Wild Cats it seems) - I mean running this place and keeping us all in line albeit a rather zig zag evasive action sort of line :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks :yes: I'm still trying to get a clear area to continue with one of my other stalled projects, which I'm hoping to do before the New Year somehow. 🙏

Wow Mike.  All the effort you put into finishing the kit was worth it to this viewer.  I will have to seriously go over your WIP as I have this kit and I only hope that mine would turn out just somewhat close to the quality you have put into this Wildcat.  (Of course that assumes that at some point in time I will actually sit down and attempt to build something.  That is the main problem.)  Wonderful build and thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1