Revell 1/72 Macchi MC.200 Saetta (H.657) - Finished

I have not done any modelling in what seems like an age, but is actually only three weeks. Real life, all 144 pages, 20,000 words and 70-odd screen layouts of it, intervened. But our latest software product now has a user guide and we can tick it off as “done”!

This is going to be a low stress simple build to ease me back onto the bench. Some cockpit detail, a bit of something in the open wheel wells and a new colour scheme is my plan. Decals, being old Revell, look shot and weren’t too good even when new judging by the mis-registration of the colours. The plastic however looks great and enough like an MC.200 for me:

952-E029-E-5004-46-F1-A78-C-11-DD36-C771

“Saetta”, incidentally, means “lightning” in Italian, so neatly prefigures my next builds in that GB!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11

Blimey! I haven't seen one of those in years!  As you have found its a basic kit but makes up nice. I built a couple way back when. Look forward to seeing end result.

• Like 1

That Brian Knight artwork is stunning.

There are not too many inverted aircraft on kit boxes that spring to mind, other than this gem. Monograms artwork for their Tigercat was inverted, but they wimped out and inverted it back the other way!

I'm looking forward to following the build.

• Like 1

Hi,

yes, the plane with a wing shorter than the other!

This kit has eluded me for ever. It will nonetheless be good to see it built.

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

I love to see this round base plate to support a flying-model display. It stirs up so many memories. They looked nice with the half-round decal on. Will follow this vintage build for sure.

• Thanks 1

Well, first steps:

A8-BCDA62-35-E4-4-A72-821-D-B06-BAB17-C9

That’s more than enough detail for a cockpit with an opening smaller than my little fingernail. I’m going to use Hu 90 Sky for the cockpit colour, washed down with dark green to bring out the detail.

• Like 10

On 13/10/2022 at 17:01, Paul J said:

haven't seen one of those in years

What can I say? It was cheap on an auction site and I like the aeroplane. So far it’s promising to be a fun build.

On 13/10/2022 at 17:09, TonyW said:

That Brian Knight artwork is stunning.

It keeps making me stack the box the wrong way round… :)

On 13/10/2022 at 18:12, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome with a very nice choice.

Thanks! I’m hoping this will go smoothly so I can get another one or two in.

On 13/10/2022 at 20:08, jean said:

the plane with a wing shorter than the other

Sadly, this one has them both the same length, and I am going to file the 3mm extension to the port wing as “not this time”! I wonder if making asymmetrical wings in a kit might cause a worry that customers would see it as a fault; Heller tells you in three or four languages that the engine is meant to be offset in their Bloch 152 kit instructions. Or maybe Revell just didn’t bother with it!

5 hours ago, Toryu said:

I love to see this round base plate to support a flying-model display

It’s a cute stand. This one has an empty cockpit so not this time, but I do have a CR42 somewhere in the stash…

55 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent work on the cockpit Adrian

Hope I haven’t messed it up… 

All painted:

B01-DDB7-E-6-B3-E-4-CE9-A5-AA-AF12-BC8-D

C1337183-535-E-410-E-8640-27-FC4-E12-AEE
The chains look like something out of “Spartacus” rather than seat belts, but that’s 5 Amp fusewire for you! Time to button up and fake something in the wheel wells…

• Like 5

You are probably right that modellers would moan about asymmetric wings - they have about similar tailplanes on the Dove and the Halifax's asymmetric nose. I suggest Revell just didn't know about it.  As with older C.202 and C.205 kits.  However, getting the tailplanes undersized was just a Revell peculiarity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

However, getting the tailplanes undersized was just a Revell peculiarity.

Thanks Graham. I thought they looked a bit small!

Meanwhile, at the other end of the fuselage I’ve got a bit carried away and built myself a wing spar and bulkhead:

CD20-FA8-C-DD1-C-41-C9-8-B6-A-517-A578-E

I guess I will have to detail it now…

(edit) that’s enough silliness for one evening:

4-F60-D2-C2-DD7-E-4-A56-A944-879-F59-CF9

• Like 9

Added some pipes and wires from thin electrical wire and painted:

0531-B9-C1-1-F10-4978-955-E-F5156-A13359

A33080-C4-A86-A-4523-B1-D0-CCA52-D454-C7

Did a bit of on-model blending of darker green with the sky to give some impression of depth. Good enough for a mojo restorer - I will glue the wings on before I get tempted to “improve” it.

(edit) all glued together, time for shopping :(

5-B2951-F5-8993-4-B19-8-D5-B-0-CB0-B6-D4

• Like 8

Assembled:

E76346-B1-ECF0-4-C97-BFDD-0-D0418-C9-A23

Needs gunsight, canopy, propeller, undercarriage, pitot tube(s?) and possibly an aerial but it’s ready for paint, when I find a scheme.

I did some moderately serious filling (P38, more prefiguring!) and sanding on the underside wing joint but otherwise I’ve only needed a smear or two of PPP. The engine seems to be five to ten degrees out but I have a plan not to notice that until it’s finished!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Shopping done and back at the bench! Revell certainly knew how do do a convincing engine, and the cowling bumps are coming up nicely with a bit of scraping and trimming - done on the right, still to do on the left:

3277-E00-B-F55-B-4329-8-C6-F-22420-F6-CE

I would have sworn these were A/M resin bits, especially with the cream color. The engine mount/firewall/spar is some very impressive work. 

• Thanks 1

Two coats of brushed gull grey before bedtime:

B5525592-5066-46-CC-B1-D8-454-B93056-E27

I’m pleased with the underside wing/fuselage filling. One application, quick drying, no sinkage, sands like a dream. While I obviously continue to love Milliput, Humbrol, Tamiya and PPP, two part car filler will feature more prominently in my future builds!

• Like 7

The white and the sand:

CF1-F39-B0-F082-4486-B336-1-A927-C7-CAFC

I should have painted and masked the white before the grey yesterday but I can touch up.

My Humbrol 93 acrylic seems to have turned into gritty mud at some point this year. I will be doing some more paint buying at SMW to continue to move away from Humbrol products. It’s a shame because I’ve used them for over 55 years, but I can’t get over their inconsistent quality, and their loopy marketing and availability (and packaging).

/rant

I’ve also printed out some decals (Wikipedia images plus lettering in 22pt Aldrich font, a new find for me). I forgot to add the House of Savoy emblem for the tail crosses so there will be another tiny round of printing…

• Like 3

…and the green. And some touch-ups!

EEE26-FC7-F4-E4-4133-BB41-A6299065-E6-C7

I got the upper camo wrapped around the leading edges, the little “v” around the wing fillet and I touched up the grey where I overpainted the white stripe:

626-C8763-D8-BB-4319-B5-A6-66-F9-F346-C7

I have to admit the Humbrol 93 came through OK in the end, although I was worried about it when I was painting.

Pretty happy with this in three days. Should be able to wrap it up in the week.

• Like 7

A mix of painted markings and home printed decals:

354-FB9-F7-CFBC-48-A4-B570-29-CB4-A02538

The laser printer does a fine job for decals. After all , it’s not like some fool is going to come up and take a 6x picture of a 3mm high decal from really close range…

1-F5-B1-CFA-9475-4-B11-8-E95-FAA9-AA9-EA

• Like 8
  • Haha 3