Xtracrylix paint

Simon Cornes

I have never used this paint before but I need to airbrush a 1/48 Harrier and get it right first time!!

Can you advise on thinning? Is tap water okay? 

Does it dry matt or gloss? I assume matt?

What would you gloss varnish it with? Klear maybe?

I should add that I’ve used Xtracolour in the past but I’ve had problems sometimes with maybe overthinning  and then poor coverage. I’ve also use MRP lacquer and found them very good but they don’t do modern RAF colours!!

Im just after some reassurance I think because I’m running against the clock for SMW !!

Many thanks

Simon

I brush with them, tap water is what I use for thinner when they need it, which generally they don't out of the bottle for brush painting, they dry satin-gloss, I use their own gloss for varnish as its good value in bulk though have used humbrol and revells regular range clear varnishes in the past 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I use them and am very content with the results. I've always used their thinners - I do that with all my paints - have never tried tap water. I still have half a bottle of Klear left so use that. They also do their own brand varnishes which I use after applying decals. And yes, as others have said, finish is satin.

First time use and need to get it right??? Do you have a paint mule to test on? 

Mark

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to use some kind of water-acrylic thinner (own brand, humbrol, vallejo, etc) over water if possible, especially if you're airbrushing. 

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I need to airbrush a 1/48 Harrier and get it right first time!!

Im just after some reassurance I think because I’m running against the clock for SMW !!

⚠️👇👇👇⚠️

27 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

First time use and need to get it right??? Do you have a paint mule to test on? 

⚠️👆👆👆⚠️

If it were me, I'd say using any new kind of paint for the first time, in a rush, and expecting it to come out perfect is a low percentage endeavour! Especially water based acrylics, which can be finicky if you're used to spraying lacquers and enamels. That is with my own incompetence baked into the calculation however. Best of luck!

I use ionised water with Xtracyrlic with a few drops of Winsor and Newton Acrylic Flow Improver. I had a load of problems with Xtracyrlic thinner when it first came out. It thinned the paint OK, but tip drying and drying on the needle was a nightmare. I cannot remember where the Flow Improver tip came from. Of course Hannants may have changed their thinner since I last used it. 

I have found the trick with Xtracyrlic is not to over thin it, as even on a primed surface it will not spray well. I speak from my experience, which my not be the same as others. 

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

That’s great guys, now I just need some xtracrylix thinners- I didn’t know they had their own, I thought water would do?

The thinners they do is Plurisol or something like that and is good =for cleaning up. Its quite strong stuff and will take off already applied paint. But as others have mentioned Xtracrylix does not need much thinning.  I have not had much trouble spraying . Its better when its not too hot in your workshop too.

I started off by thinning xtracrylix dark sea grey and extra dark sea grey with eau de tap and the paint went on okay although I had to use a much higher pressure than MRP lacquer for example, partially to try to avoid paint flow stopping although I did find myself cleaning the front end of the brush several times. The paint went on but was a bit ‘gritty’ and I got two area of what looked like contamination reaction - circles of paint with hardly any paint in the centre - which was odd as the complete airframes were primed with Halfords grey acrylic plastic primer. I sorted that out with a careful brush application.

Yesterday I got some Vallejo airbrush cleaner and tried it with the Dark Green. Much smoother finish so I’ve learnt something. 
Thank you all for your advice - very useful!!

Sorry I’ve just seen this, so for what it’s worth. I always used tap water but warm water. It flows really well. I find with the greys and white it does dry on the tip which I just wipe off and carry on.

• Thanks 1