Iran Air A320 in 1/144

I thought I’d have a change from my usual diet of European airliners and here is the result - the Revell A320 finished as Iran Air’s veteran EP-IED.

I used the final (Lufthansa) release of the Revell kit, probably better described as a box of flash with some rather forlorn looking bits of A320 attached. The kit was a mess and bashing it into shape wasn’t a lot of fun. I added a few details from plastic strip, attended to the usual corrections to the wings and replaced the winglets.

Paint is Halfords Appliance Gloss White and Holts HL Grey 01 with Revell Aqua 374 representing the Aeroflex on the upper wings. Metallics are by Tamiya and Revell. Decals are by F-DCAL with Authentic Airliners windows.

I doubt if any two Iran Air A320s are identical and if accuracy is important a careful study of photographs is needed to ensure the correct combination of details for a particular registration. Engine type, wing colours, winglet colours, the stripe on the leading edge of the fin, stab mounting plate colours and RDF fairings all vary between individual aircraft.

Despite my comments about the state of the kit I still prefer Revell’s A320 to Zvezda’s and I’d rather have it with flash than not at all. I actually built two back to back and the other one, which was just as bad, is currently in primer. It should appear in Aegean livery eventually.

Thanks for looking and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Dave G

52425075250_efc0a45068_b.jpg

52424113972_e2aea7c39a_b.jpg

52424905994_e21f1baf99_b.jpg

52424114087_b75e2a7d53_b.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

the Revell kit, probably better described as a box of flash with some rather forlorn looking bits of A320 attached.

🤣 🤣 🤣 I know what you mean Dave! 

Lovely looking A320, as usual, showing that despite all the flash on it, it is still well worth building.

How did you do the sealing strip around the wing box,? This has always flummoxed me and I haven't yet found a good method of doing it.

Looking forward to seeing the Aegean bird.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and likes which are always appreciated.

On 10/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, Viking said:

How did you do the sealing strip around the wing box,? This has always flummoxed me and I haven't yet found a good method of doing it.

Looking forward to seeing the Aegean bird.

Cheers

John

John, the sealing strip is a decal. Many years ago I bought a batch of detail sheets from Daco which include the strip and i have been gradually using them up ever since. There was a similar sheet from Liveries Unlimited but sadly both are out of print and my stock is getting low. PAS and Ascensio sometimes include the strip on their sheets but Russian decals are hard to get just now. The only practical alternative to the Daco sheet is the detail sheet from Authentic Airliners which is good but expensive.

• Thanks 1

Great Airbus in a not so often seen livery.Top work all around.👍👍👏

The last issue of the Revell A320 kit was really a sorry looking pile of plastic,so my hat's off to you for beating it into shape.

I am more on the Zvezda side as A320 types are concerned,one A319 is left to do from my large stock of Revell kits,the others to do are now all Zvezda.

I had a line up of Airbuses on my bench too this summer.Mostly finished but didnt yet find the time to put them here on BM .

I hope to add them soon.

Thanks for sharing 

Alex

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

I am more on the Zvezda side as A320 types are concerned,one A319 is left to do from my large stock of Revell kits,the others to do are now all Zvezda.

I had a line up of Airbuses on my bench too this summer.Mostly finished but didnt yet find the time to put them here on BM .

I hope to add them soon.

Thanks for sharing 

Alex

Thanks Alex. I look forward to seeing your Airbuses when you post them.

I can't be bothered with the separate flaps and slats on the Zvezda kit and dislike paying good money for features I don't want. Also in some areas the detail is better on the Revell kit once you hack the flash off! I built up a large stash of Revell Airbuses and it will take me many years to work through them so I won't be posting any Zvezda CEOs. Having said that, the Zvezda NEOs are now quite a bit cheaper than the Revell equivalents so when I get round to my planned Arkia A321 NEO it will probably be Zvezda rather than Revell.

Dave G

• Like 1

Somehow, you have transformed what I would consider a boring livery, into a rather fine looking model Dave.  I'm blown away with this one.

For someone who was considering giving up all together you are certainly turning out some spectacular models.  So glad you had a change of heart.

All the best.

Chris.

• Thanks 1