Airfix 1/72 Junkers Ju-87 Stuka

SaminCam

Evening all, I hope you are keeping well. 2022 is racing by and keeping me on my toes - I'm not getting much time for modelling at the moment and decided my next one should be relatively straightforward so I've got half a chance of finishing it before Christmas! I built a Stuka when I was growing up and always liked how it looked, especially with the gull wings, so without too much thought got the relatively new airfix version in the one true scale:

52423912014_a5993a37da_c.jpg

I've been plugging a way for a few weeks and pretty much got her together now:

52423116887_b10f91f2dd_c.jpg

The cockpit was painted in rlm02 and weathered before being assembled into the fuselage. I'm going to include the pilots so not a huge amount will be visible so on this occasion everything is ootb. The kit goes together pretty well though the nose assembly is a bit weird and took some careful dry fitting before I was happy to get glue on. Fit is good and I've tidied up the seams with sprue goo (much easier than the revel blackbird I finished recently!) before adding rivets along the panel lines to add a bit more detail.

52423116872_c2694ec424_c.jpg

I glued the wheels together this evening and they are dry fitted atm. The next step is to mottle on some light grey for the preshade, paint up the crew and finish masking up the canopy, inside and out! Thanks for dropping by, more to come soon hopefully, Sam

• Like 12

Hi Sam, 

You are making steady progress with your Ju-87. It looks like you have got a nice paint job on the upper surfaces. 

I normally go from light to dark paint wise, so start generally on the undersides. Pre shading does help a lot, but I also use Oil dots, and washes too to impart wear and tear. 

Good progress so far, look forward to seeing this build completed. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Sam, 

You are making steady progress with your Ju-87. It looks like you have got a nice paint job on the upper surfaces. 

I normally go from light to dark paint wise, so start generally on the undersides. Pre shading does help a lot, but I also use Oil dots, and washes too to impart wear and tear. 

Good progress so far, look forward to seeing this build completed. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

Thanks Kevin! Next step is to mottle on some grey which provides the pre-shade and lightens everything up, I'll get some photos uploaded once it's done. 

Latest progress is getting the main part of the canopy masked on the inside with lots of little bits of tamiya tape, need to keep going on the outside next. I've also got one of the pilots painted up. I base coated him in dark brown and then brush painted on the life jacket, gloves, boots, buckles and face. The zoomed in camera shot isn't hugely flattering but I don't think I can do much better than this in 1/72, it looks ok with mk1 eyeball. Any tips on painting faces? I've done this chap starting from dark brown, and building up shades with slightly darkened then lightened xf15 flat flesh. I did something similar with the flight overalls using khaki and wood deck tan over the dark brown. Thanks for dropping in! Sam

52432069188_d657a30578_z.jpg

• Like 6

Afternoon all, I've made a little more progress on the Stuka this week. I finished off painting the pilot and gunner and glued them into the cockpit: 

52445554161_49aeefd5bb_z.jpg

Next I finished masking the cockpit canopy, both on the inside and outside - a masking kit would be super useful here but don't have one for this kit so used lots of little bits of tape to (hopefully) get a neat frame. I sprayed the inside of the canopy RLM02 and unmasked before gluing in place. While I had the grey-green colour in the airbrush I added a mottled coat, leaving the panel lines darker for a preshade. The underside needs a similar going over with a grey-blue shade then it'll be ready for the top coats to start going on. Thanks for taking a look! Sam

52445027532_669400e184_z.jpg

• Like 12

Bit more done this morning. The preshade was finished off with a very light grey shade - here you can see that I picked out the covers and hatches and left quite a lot of variation between some of the panels. The same has been done underneath and on the undercarriage and she's now ready for masking and top coat of RLM65.

52447629216_8a7f094ec9_z.jpg

• Like 9

...and masking off again. Being stingy here and recycling the tape to remask for the RLM70 black green. Going ok so far, will take a little while to do the masking but quiet week ahead so will try and post the next update with the base colour scheme complete in a few days. Cheers for taking a look! Sam

52465419244_d2f7857e64_c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Evening all! RLM70 Black Green on and masking off. The preshading just shows through though would have benefited from being darker (almost black) under the black green. Anyway, I'll add more weathering and variation with oils and pastel dust once the decals are on. There are a few small touch ups needed but overall not too bad and the next major step will be a gloss coat so I can start to get the decals on. The prop got a blast of yellow and the little curved bits of masking tape you can just see nearby are experiments in how to mask this to leave a yellow circular stripe. First attempt was a disaster (no photos...) so i stripped the paint off with window cleaner and started again - getting the radius right on the curved mask is the key and hopefully second time around it's going to work... Not too far to go with this one now, cheers for dropping by! Sam

52473361825_8596d7c9e8_z.jpg

• Like 11

A little more progress with the Stuka today; propeller was painted with the yellow stripe and a few touch ups were completed on the main paint job. I've just whacked a gloss coat on top and once that is properly dry she'll be ready for decals. 

52480634937_4d47aab5c5_c.jpg

• Like 12

...and some more work done this evening! Main decals are from the xtradecal Battle of Britain set:

spacer.png

These have gone down nicely - I found they work better with cold water, one started to break up a bit with warm, and have decal softener helping them to sit into the panel lines. The airfix decals are good as well, I'm using the little detailed ones from their sheet, but I like BoB subjects and have managed to keep a flash of yellow running through my Luftwaffe "squadron" so the xtradecal option fit the bill.

52485125453_ef59e8b954_c.jpg

A few more to go on the undersides and then it'll more varnish and finally some weathering. Cheers, Sam

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, pretty much there with Stuka! Went fairly heavy with the weathering using oils and ground up pastels. It doesn't show up great under this lousy desk light but looks ok in daylight, underside is also streaked and spattered to look like it's having a hard life. Last touch will be to paint the aerial wire and then I'm calling it done 👍

52517849739_989c909394_c.jpg

Overall I've really enjoyed this one, other than the riveting and xtradecal BoB transfers, it's straight out of the box and I can highly recommend the kit to anybody looking for a stress free build! I'll get some decent snaps taken for an RFI post in the next few days but for now, thanks for following along! Sam

• Like 13

Sam

you have made my mid week blue !

your Ju-87  is a nice built and although it might be a relatively simple kit I am sure you spent lots of good effort to make it outstanding !

I enjoy watching the WIP and learn more from you

Have a good day

Ernest 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ernestf said:

Sam

you have made my mid week blue !

your Ju-87  is a nice built and although it might be a relatively simple kit I am sure you spent lots of good effort to make it outstanding !

I enjoy watching the WIP and learn more from you

Have a good day

Ernest 

Thanks Ernest, glad you like it!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...