1/20 Bandai Flaptter "Not in the sky"

Today I start a new dio based on Hayao Miyazaki's Flaptter seen in "The castle in the sky"

I'll use this Bandai kit that as usual looks very detailled and easy to assemble !

20221011.jpg

then a quick kit review with the vehicle, the 2 characters (I won't use them) and of course the 4 transparent wings !

20221012.jpg

I have no precise idea of what the dio will look like but I'm sure there will be rocks, a lot of grass and I'll use this old slate (I think this is the proper word for this kind of tile) as a base !

20221010.jpg

Next step soon ! :) 

Edited by MrBigBlock
  • Like 10

• MrBigBlock changed the title to 1/20 Bandai Flaptter "Not in the sky"
  • 2 weeks later...

The base is 95% done. I used real rocks, hard foam, sand, glue and plastiroc to make it. The major problem with slate is that it's very smooth and standard glues like cyano, vynil or epoxy don't work. So I had to use a special glue (used for roofs) and sand to create an irregular surface on whom Plastiroc could stay attached... 

20221014.jpg

20221015.jpg

Now I just have to wait for Plastiroc to get dry !

• Like 4

For me, this movie is new. I'm not a fan of manga and anime, so Japanese SF creations are an unexplored area for me. But the model looks great (its shape reminds me a bit of a dieselpunk snail). The base also looks very good.

BTW an interesting title. "Laputa" must have sparked enthusiasm in Spanish-speaking countries 😛

Actually slate is NOT a very good idea... That's cool looking but it poses many technical problems... glueing problems and I discovered that the layers of slate react to moisture and tend to separate from each other... I pray for this reaction to stop for now, Plastiroc is dry and hard...

Nevertheless, I continued painting and weathering the dio. the ground received a brown paint and a black acrylic lavish and the rocks are painted ! The model is ready for painting but I did not receive the 2 colours I'll use (a brass layer above a gun metal base)

20221019.jpg

20221018.jpg

20221020.jpg

Edited by MrBigBlock
  • Like 2