Good/best sprue cutters

Peter Browne

I've got these. I mostly use the black handled ones, but have used them all at some time. Check out the nail section at your closest beauty section. Look at nail cutters, especially the toenail ones.

Also looks at electronic departments for small wire cutters.

41049490424_e11033f618_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

I suppose that when you say upgrading you mean to go for a more precise cutter with a neat cut.

I have the old Revell "precision cutter" which is a nothing but a basic model. 18 months ago I also decided to upgrade and bought  a Meng Model ref. MTS-022 Intermediate Single-edged Hobby Side Cutter for 22 €. It's built in China by Dspiae but cheaper than the Dspiae branded. I'm very happy with it

as

- there is much less, if any, "stress" and damage to parts when cutting real close to the part

- oh joy - the tiny parts never fly away but just fall off the sprue

but

- it is not a do-it-all cutter. NEVER try to cut the sprue itself, you could break your blade

- it's very short 6 mm blade makes accessing some sprue gates and cutting close quite difficult

- it already shows pitting surface rust

Beware: there are different models, mine is the cheapest single-edged one. as I found Tamiya and theMeng  "advanced" model too pricey for a Made in China tool (pricier than Tamiya).

The other option I considered is Tamiya sharp pointed side-cutter (slim jaw) ref. 74123 , a classical double-bladed model. But it was nearly twice the price of the Meng one. Because of Meng's short blade, if I had to choose today and not taking the price into account, I'd reconsider BUT as I don't have one I don't know if it has the same advantages a single-edged blade cutter.

Other renowned brands are God hand and Xuron but also I don't have any tool from them so I can't compare.

Hope it helps.

For small parts that are close to the parts tree and difficult to get at with a snipper, I use this wee bit of broken CMK razor saw, fitted into a pin-vise. Works great.

26937529567_af6be4688a_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

From being a sprue cutter sceptic, I must say I'm a total convert since getting some dspiae single edged ones. Having experimented with various cheap and more expensive versions from amazon and the like (all of which were basically wire snips), the difference is marked, and saves a huge amount of fuss and faff. So yah a vote for spending on a decent set single blade cutters. As I say, the dspiae (st-a 3.0 specifically) ones have worked really well for me. 

Andy

• Like 1