Late to the party - P-38J

Once again, I'm late to the party! :sorry:

Not late to the groupbuild party, just late to the actually posting about it...   :fraidnot:

I have been building this one since the start of the GB but have done my usual trick of not documenting the build.  I will catch up, but please be aware that the build isn't quite as fast as it may seem.  

I am building a P-38J from the Academy 1/48 kit.   I actually bought the kit in error as from the price (22 quid) I thought it was the 1/72 kit...  :)

spacer.png

I originally through that I would build it as Robin Olds' SCAT II, but changed my mind.  It will be Joseph Myers' Journey's End from the 38FS, 55th FG.   The Printscale decal sheet instructions state this is a P-38J but show a P-38H profile.  I confirmed from photos that it is actually a P-38J.

• Like 5

Let's look at the sprues.  Typical Academy fare.  Looks like it should buld up pretty easily.  Says he knowing full well that it did...   :fool: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ther kit provides different noses for a number of versions, including recce and pathfinder versions.

• Like 7

Cockpit parts painted and ready for installation. 

spacer.png

Like so.

spacer.png

There are a couple of cockpit coaming parts provided for the different variants.  The "instrument panel" is moulded as part of the coaming but it seems to be far to far away from the pilot.   In real life there is no way that the pilot could read the instruments.  Therefore I fitted an Eduart L00k panel intended for a Tamiya kit and also used the seat harness.

spacer.png

Main airframe components ready for assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Nice progress, Enzo :) There's an awful lot of familiar looking parts there, albeit in grey rather than the black mine's moulded in. I concur on the IP, I've got an Eduard PE one I'm debating fitting, if I can manage to mount it where it might be seen...

James

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I concur on the IP, I've got an Eduard PE one I'm debating fitting, if I can manage to mount it where it might be seen...

It's a very bizarre choice by Academy.  It wouldn't have taken much to place a vertical slab underneath the coaming and slap a decal on it.  Did Academy simply forget about the instrument panel?

In my kit, the IP was a decal on a vertical panel, but that was set back roughly under where the screen meets the nose. Far too far back. Even if I hadn't killed the decal with Mr Muscle while I was stripping the old paint off, you'd have never seen it when it was in place anyway. My kit uses part D8 for the coaming, is yours using the other one?

James

Main assembly complete.  This is a typical Academy kit - no fit issues whatsoever.  :thumbsup:

spacer.png

I crudely masked off the cockpit area and primed the model, just to make sure that there were no issues with joint and such.  Then the transparencies were fitted and masked.

spacer.png

And the whole model was primed again.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Welcome along Enzo...and up to your usual tricks as well I see...... arriving late with a model already started........déjà vu???  :D

Well at least you showed up which is great....we miss you.....sometimes.

The Academy model is quite a nice model to build as you have found out, the only issue I've heard of is that the booms can easily become twisted if you're not careful. 

You've done some nice work so far, she's looking great, looking forward to seeing the scheme.

Good luck with her.

• Thanks 1

On to the painting.  There is always a lot of discussion about the "correct" shade of olive drab for second world war US aircraft.  However, it seems to me that there was a wide latitude in colours and that OD faded unpredictably anyway.  I've come to the conclusion that as long as the colour is olivey and drabby, then no one can really say that it is wrong.  :lol: 

With that in mind, I gave the uppersurfaces a coat of Lifecolor UA-257

spacer.png

Then I started messing around a bit.  I masked off the control surfaces and various panels and started mottling with whatever Olive Drab paint I had to hand.

spacer.png

Then I masked off the uppersurfaces and sprayed the lowersurfaces with Lifecolor UA-524 Neutral Grey.

spacer.png

Once the lowersurfaces were sprayed, I set towork with various weathering powders.

spacer.png

• Like 9

NICE!!!  :thumbsup:

That's an awesome finish you got there Enzo, a great beaten up (not too much) weathered look.

I think around 1943 they changed the shade of OD, but after 6 month out in the weather and flying who know how many different shades of OD the finish will then look like!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Greeblies

3 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Wow, never knew this was even a word...

It comes from Star Wars, or rather the Star Wars production crew.

Among the ILM artists working on Star Wars, the finest details on the movie's craft were dubbed “greeblies” – they're the network of tiny tubes and mechanical-looking parts that break up the surface of a miniature and give it the feeling of a real, working machine.  Many greeblies were taken from various plastic kits.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It comes from Star Wars, or rather the Star Wars production crew.

Among the ILM artists working on Star Wars, the finest details on the movie's craft were dubbed “greeblies” – they're the network of tiny tubes and mechanical-looking parts that break up the surface of a miniature and give it the feeling of a real, working machine.  Many greeblies were taken from various plastic kits.

I Googled it to confirm you hadn't made it up!  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I Googled it to confirm you hadn't made it up!  

I wouldn't lie to you.   Well...  not unless I thought I could get away with it...   :lol:  

• Haha 3