1/48 Beaufighter Mk Ic 252 Squadron Lybia 1943

Hello,

Here is my representation of a Beaufighter Mk Ic of the 252 Squadron based at Magrun (Libya) in 1943. Finished in Extra Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Gray with Azure Blue underside. Like all Squadrons, at this time the underside of the tail is painted yellow. This was done as a quick recognition sign so that friendly flak (especially the Royal Navy) could easily distinguish them from the Ju 88s operating in the area.

The model is Revell's Mk If with CMK wheels and an Eduard Look interior.

What to say:
+ More detailed than the one from Tamiya.
+ Superb CMK wheels. The ones from the kit are horrible and wrong on the outer flasks of the Mk I.

- Soft engraving
- Metal grey plastic so hard to see what you are doing.
- Adjustment sometimes scabrous for example the underside of the wing
- Complexity of the landing gear which if you follow the instructions is almost impossible to mount correctly. The solution is to assemble the gear well and the gear elements together before gluing it in the underside wing .  
- Eduard dashboard that doesn't fit properly even though it is designed to replace the basic part in plug and play.
- Complex engines and covers with badly placed joints.

Original :

bristo10.jpg

Interior

20220413.jpg

20220416.jpg

20220415.jpg

20220414.jpg

And Finish

20221010.jpg

20221011.jpg

20221012.jpg

20221014.jpg

20221015.jpg

20221013.jpg

20221017.jpg

20221016.jpg

20221018.jpg

20221020.jpg

20221019.jpg

• Like 64
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Wuger91 said:

Hello,

Here is my representation of a Beaufighter Mk Ic of the 252 Squadron based at Magrun (Libya) in 1943. Finished in Extra Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Gray with Azure Blue underside. Like all Squadrons, at this time the underside of the tail is painted yellow. This was done as a quick recognition sign so that friendly flak (especially the Royal Navy) could easily distinguish them from the Ju 88s operating in the area.

The model is Revell's Mk If with CMK wheels and an Eduard Look interior.

What to say:
+ More detailed than the one from Tamiya.
+ Superb CMK wheels. The ones from the kit are horrible and wrong on the outer flasks of the Mk I.

- Soft engraving
- Metal grey plastic so hard to see what you are doing.
- Adjustment sometimes scabrous for example the underside of the wing
- Complexity of the landing gear which if you follow the instructions is almost impossible to mount correctly. The solution is to assemble the gear well and the gear elements together before gluing it in the underside wing .  
- Eduard dashboard that doesn't fit properly even though it is designed to replace the basic part in plug and play.
- Complex engines and covers with badly placed joints.

Original :

bristo10.jpg

Interior

20220413.jpg

20220416.jpg

20220415.jpg

20220414.jpg

And Finish

20221010.jpg

20221011.jpg

20221012.jpg

20221014.jpg

20221015.jpg

20221013.jpg

20221017.jpg

20221016.jpg

20221018.jpg

20221020.jpg

20221019.jpg

Well done.

Alain

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice build.

I love that paint scheme and never knew about the yellow undersides on the tail plane. 

James

Yes, this is not well known but, explained in recent publications such as Valiant and Squadron Leader on the plane.

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

She looks grand, sir.  I built the Revell X and found the same issues as you describe.

Yes, it's basically the same kit, with the Mk I specific sprues for the tail, canopies and engine covers.

Edited by Wuger91
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:58 PM, jackroadkill said:

She looks grand, sir.  I built the Revell X and found the same issues as you describe.

Same for me. Particularly the landing gear which I had followed the instructions and just couldn't get it to fit in the wheel well. I ended up scraping quite a bit of bodywork away. The trailing arms are now mounted much too far back on mine. I was still quite new into modelling at the time and thought it was just me being untalented, so in a way it's gratifying to hear that others have had problems with it too.

General fit was really good, but the engine covers, landing gear and wing joint (rear edge) were all problematic for me.

• Like 2

I really like your Beaufighter and its color scheme.  I also enjoyed the period pictures attached to the RFI.  Always is so interesting to see actual war time photos be they realistic or staged.  Thanks for sharing.-

• Like 1

That's really nicely done. Great  weathering. I  notice you even replicated the sand blasted back of the propellors. That's real attention to  detail.

I like that colour scheme on the  Beaufighter. It suits the shape.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...