Builds from a sailors cabin

Evening all,

I'm in the process of digesting my builds over the last few months and as the title might suggest, these were all built whilst away on a ship. It keeps my mind stimulated!

As a result though, some aren't perfect or accurate but were built with the limited amount of tools I can carry.

First up is Airfix's lovely Hawker Tempest Mk.V in 1/72, built OOB

52418730435_a35a497088_b.jpg

52417780152_b6e58cfe1e_b.jpg

Next up is Hasegawa's excellent 1/72 Grumman E-2C Hawkeye. The only boxing I could find of this was the Taiwanese variant, so after much digging, I managed to get hold of some decals from a gent in the states which resulted in this very nice liveried example.

52418731690_f45c44f55a_b.jpg

52418292481_3f8c999cff_b.jpg

I managed to get hold of an old Airfix Army Lynx for 4£ at a diecast model sale. I therefore took the opportunity to convert a spare Hobbyboss Lynx I had into an AH.7 (as best as possible). The jammer under the after fuselage was courtesy of Air Graphic Models. The rest is from the box and a mixture of decals used from both offerings. The AH.7 was fitted with the newer style composite blades which I now had  as the HB kit I had didn't contain these. I also realised after build the AH.7 shouldn't have the folding tail mechanism. Doh!

52418735295_149b36504a_b.jpg

52418578689_3ffb395648_b.jpg

A build that I was less impressed with was Italeri's Lockheed Martin F-35B, whilst a nice kit and very well engineered, my choice of greys are a tad too light and given the aircraft is relatively new in surface, I kept the weathering down. The RAM tape was sanded back on this using 1000-4000 grit paper and the masking was down using Eduard's masking set. The end result is just a little uninspiring to me.

52418741000_88ebee55cd_b.jpg

52418812058_cc45dfd34d_b.jpg

Lastly is the Revell Westland Sea King HAS.1 built from the original German boxing and modified as appropriate. Decals from Xtradecal. Whilst the HAS.1 didn't have the barn door air scoop, I've tacked it on to prevent loss during travel. This kit is a joy to build and I have many more in the stash to follow.

52418610159_981da04f6b_b.jpg

52418839383_cc3b612205_b.jpg

Many thanks for looking, I hope you've enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed building them!

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant! I don't know what you are talking about. They all look great.

For me, modelling at sea would be a non-starter. I would have been sick all over them!

Congrats.

JR

Just brilliant!

If that's what you can do while at sea, I can't imagine how good your efforts are when "on land" so-to-speak. 😮

I especially love the Hawkeye; probably because I have the Hasegawa kit in my stash and haven't dared to start in on it yet.

Those aftermarket markings are awesome and really set it off superbly.

Well done!

👏👏

• Thanks 1

Have to agree they all look lovely as is, so I’ll award additional points for the remote environment in which they were built. Very well done indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for all the positive feedback, much appreciated!

On 10/10/2022 at 11:53 PM, SoftScience said:

Wow! To think you built these at sea! 

What kind of sailor are you? Navy? Commerical?

RN, but technically Merchant Navy with the privilege of my own cabin! 

What a great and varied collection. Hats off to your skills while on board ship. Incredible these were done on the high seas 👍👍 Do you use an airbrush and if so what set up /compressor do you use?

I do like the work you've done on the F-35B.... definitely improves the model immensely (if not the look of the aircraft itself 😂) Like your Sea King too but all are great 👍

I'm hoping the ship you are stationed on has at least some size to it as I can't imagine trying to build on a smaller ship with rolling seas, especially in 1/72nd!  Each of these are done extremely well and better than I could do in my safe, but slightly messy, land based workshop.  As for the disappointment for the F-35, even if you have a multitude of grey shades, it is still grey; not the most exciting color in the spectrum.  Well done.  I would really like to see one of your builds after you return to land.  Thanks for sharing.